How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination is 'file'. I've got a Memorex 1622 IDE CD-RW drive. Thanks in ...

  1. How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW

    I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program
    to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination
    is 'file'.

    I've got a Memorex 1622 IDE CD-RW drive.

    Thanks in advance

    Brian

  2. Re: How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW

    "Brian Cronin" wrote:

    >I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program
    >to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination
    >is 'file'.

    I have not done this myself with a CD-RW but I would assume you
    need to format the RW disks as DirectCD disks then use the
    "file" option and point to the drive letter for the CD-RW drive.

    Barron Featherston

  3. Re: How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW

    "Barron Featherston" wrote in message

    > "Brian Cronin" wrote:
    > >
    > >I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program
    > >to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination
    > >is 'file'.

    > I have not done this myself with a CD-RW but I would assume you
    > need to format the RW disks as DirectCD disks then use the
    > "file" option and point to the drive letter for the CD-RW drive.
    >
    > Barron Featherston

    If the CD-RW drive is properly installed in Windows and shows up on the
    Device Manager and Windows Explorer, BE should recognize it as a valid
    device.

    DirectCD has nothing to do with BE. BE will need to format any CD with it's
    own format before it can backup to it. DirectCD format will not help BE.

    --
    CU,

    >don<

    Donald R. Keating, CLU
    DBS Company - Columbia, SC
    803-731-0328 (Phone/FAX)

  4. Re: How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW

    "Brian Cronin" wrote:

    >I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program
    >to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination
    >is 'file'.
    >
    >I've got a Memorex 1622 IDE CD-RW drive.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Brian

    Backup Exec versions 3.0a, 3.1a, 3.1.1a, 4.2 and 4.2.1 all support that drive
    and should not need anything to detect your drive. Check the version number
    of Backup Exec you have, if it is anything other than what I listed, it will
    not work. If it is one of those versions and it is not at least version 4.2
    you should upgrade to the latest version from the VERITAS website. Another
    try would be this: do a search for drvwcdb.vxd, once found rename it to drvwcdb.old,
    reinstall your version of Backup Exec. The file you are renaming is Backup
    Exec's driver for IDE and SCSI devices, reinstalling the software should
    allow the "correct" version of the driver to be installed.

  5. Re: How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW

    I would not back up anything important with any "packet writing" software
    such as Direct CD, Prassi abCD. Also direct CD does not have anything to do
    with backup exec

    Bob

    > "Brian Cronin" wrote:
    > >
    > >I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program
    > >to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination
    > >is 'file'.

    > I have not done this myself with a CD-RW but I would assume you
    > need to format the RW disks as DirectCD disks then use the
    > "file" option and point to the drive letter for the CD-RW drive.
    >
    > Barron Featherston

  6. Re: How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW

    if the only choice you have to backup to is FILE, then chances are good that
    your drive is not supported. what type of CDRW drive do you have?

    "RGC" wrote:
    >I would not back up anything important with any "packet writing" software
    >such as Direct CD, Prassi abCD. Also direct CD does not have anything to

    do
    >with backup exec
    >
    >Bob
    >"Barron Featherston" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Brian Cronin" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program
    >> >to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination
    >> >is 'file'.

    >> I have not done this myself with a CD-RW but I would assume you
    >> need to format the RW disks as DirectCD disks then use the
    >> "file" option and point to the drive letter for the CD-RW drive.
    >>
    >> Barron Featherston

  7. Re: How do I get Backup Exec for Win98 to write to my CD-RW

    On 6 Jun 2000 14:09:32 -0400, "Barron Featherston"
    wrote:

    >"Brian Cronin" wrote:
    >>
    >>I've just installed Backup Exec and cannot find a way to tell the program
    >>to use my CDRW drive. The only option that is presented as a destination
    >>is 'file'.

    >I have not done this myself with a CD-RW but I would assume you
    >need to format the RW disks as DirectCD disks then use the
    >"file" option and point to the drive letter for the CD-RW drive.

    NO! Don't do that. Backup Exec must do it's own formatting on
    CDRW discs. The format done by DirectCD causes all sorts of
    problems.

    The original poster is probably using a version of software which
    hasn't been upgraded to recognize his make/model of CD Burner.
    Because the commands for writers aren't generic, each one must be
    programmed into the software. There "should" be list on the
    Veritas web site denoting the drives which are included (but my
    bet is that Veritis, true to form, has only a list which misses
    drives which are included, includes drives which are not included
    and is otherwise AFU).

+ Reply to Thread