Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a question on how Disaster Recovery works. I'm getting a new hard drive, quite a bit larger than my existing drive. My existing drive is 9 gigs, partitioned into 2 Primary Drives (one hidden), and five logical drives. ...

  1. Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive

    I have a question on how Disaster Recovery works. I'm getting a new
    hard drive, quite a bit larger than my existing drive. My existing
    drive is 9 gigs, partitioned into 2 Primary Drives (one hidden), and
    five logical drives. I made a Disaster Recovery disk last night. When
    I put in the new hard drive, do I have to partition it before I do a
    recovery? (I assume I'll have to do some sort of partitioning in order
    to format the drive, and that the formatting has to be done first. ) Was
    the hidden Primary copied to tape? If I need to have the same number of
    partitions on the new drive, do they need to be the same size as the
    current ones?

    Reading over an exisiting post on the board, the LFN issue was brought
    up. Is there some problem with restoring a tape with Disaster Recovery
    and LFN's?
    --
    Patty,
    MS MVP, Desktop Systems

  2. Re: Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive

    Patty,

    When my old hard drive died, I bought a much larger one. I did
    partition it first but with a different layout than my old one. Then I used
    my ER disks to do the restore and it all worked perfectly, even the LFNs!

    If your BIOS auto-recognizes & configures for your new hard drive,
    that's great. If not, get into the BIOS setup before the computer boots to
    the finish and adjust your settings for your new hard drive.

    If you own Partition Magic, you can redo you partition scheme at any
    time without hurting the post-restoration data on your hard drive. If you
    don't own it, you must partition before you restore.

    Hope this was some help.

    --

    ...Bruce

    Patty MacDuffie wrote in message
    > I have a question on how Disaster Recovery works. I'm getting a new
    > hard drive, quite a bit larger than my existing drive. My existing
    > drive is 9 gigs, partitioned into 2 Primary Drives (one hidden), and
    > five logical drives. I made a Disaster Recovery disk last night. When
    > I put in the new hard drive, do I have to partition it before I do a
    > recovery? (I assume I'll have to do some sort of partitioning in order
    > to format the drive, and that the formatting has to be done first. ) Was
    > the hidden Primary copied to tape? If I need to have the same number of
    > partitions on the new drive, do they need to be the same size as the
    > current ones?
    >
    > Reading over an exisiting post on the board, the LFN issue was brought
    > up. Is there some problem with restoring a tape with Disaster Recovery
    > and LFN's?
    > --
    > Patty,
    > MS MVP, Desktop Systems

  3. Re: Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive

    I do have Partition Magic, and I'm sure I will resize the partitions
    afterwards. Thanks very much, Bruce.
    --
    Patty,
    MS MVP, Desktop Systems

    Bruce Rapee wrote in message
    > Patty,
    >
    > When my old hard drive died, I bought a much larger one. I did
    > partition it first but with a different layout than my old one. Then

    I used
    > my ER disks to do the restore and it all worked perfectly, even the

    LFNs!

    > If your BIOS auto-recognizes & configures for your new hard drive,
    > that's great. If not, get into the BIOS setup before the computer

    boots to
    > the finish and adjust your settings for your new hard drive.
    >
    > If you own Partition Magic, you can redo you partition scheme at

    any
    > time without hurting the post-restoration data on your hard drive. If

    you
    > don't own it, you must partition before you restore.
    >
    > Hope this was some help.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ...Bruce
    >
    > Patty MacDuffie wrote in message
    > > I have a question on how Disaster Recovery works. I'm getting a

    new
    > > hard drive, quite a bit larger than my existing drive. My existing
    > > drive is 9 gigs, partitioned into 2 Primary Drives (one hidden), and
    > > five logical drives. I made a Disaster Recovery disk last night.

    When
    > > I put in the new hard drive, do I have to partition it before I do a
    > > recovery? (I assume I'll have to do some sort of partitioning in

    order
    > > to format the drive, and that the formatting has to be done first. )

    Was
    > > the hidden Primary copied to tape? If I need to have the same

    number of
    > > partitions on the new drive, do they need to be the same size as the
    > > current ones?
    > >
    > > Reading over an exisiting post on the board, the LFN issue was

    brought
    > > up. Is there some problem with restoring a tape with Disaster

    Recovery
    > > and LFN's?
    > > --
    > > Patty,
    > > MS MVP, Desktop Systems

  4. Re: Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive

    You must FDISK into partitions then FORMAT (FAT32) the partitions. The
    partitions can be any size as long as it is large enough to hold the
    Restore and if you backed up C:,D:,E: you have a C:,D:,E: on the new
    drive.

    > I have a question on how Disaster Recovery works. I'm getting a new
    > hard drive, quite a bit larger than my existing drive. My existing
    > drive is 9 gigs, partitioned into 2 Primary Drives (one hidden), and
    > five logical drives. I made a Disaster Recovery disk last night. When
    > I put in the new hard drive, do I have to partition it before I do a
    > recovery? (I assume I'll have to do some sort of partitioning in order
    > to format the drive, and that the formatting has to be done first. ) Was
    > the hidden Primary copied to tape? If I need to have the same number of
    > partitions on the new drive, do they need to be the same size as the
    > current ones?
    >
    > Reading over an exisiting post on the board, the LFN issue was brought
    > up. Is there some problem with restoring a tape with Disaster Recovery
    > and LFN's?
    > --
    > Patty,
    > MS MVP, Desktop Systems

  5. Re: Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive

    Thank you, Leon.
    --
    Patty,
    MS MVP, Desktop Systems

    Leon FB wrote in message
    > You must FDISK into partitions then FORMAT (FAT32) the partitions. The
    > partitions can be any size as long as it is large enough to hold the
    > Restore and if you backed up C:,D:,E: you have a C:,D:,E: on the new
    > drive.

  6. Re: Using Disaster Recovery disks to start new hard drive

    Patty,
    You can also use Partition Magic to copy a partition from the old HD to the
    new one.....temporally install both HD's in the puter on the same cable,
    with the old HD's jumper set to master, and the new one's jumper set to
    slave, make sure bios sees them both at boot, with the old HD set to
    primary master & the new one set to primary slave. Then start partition
    majic & use the copy partition feature to put a new boot partition copy in
    the first part of the free space of your new drive, copy or make any other
    partitions needed, then reboot with the new HD only (resetting jumpers if
    needed) and it should come back just like the old one..........You dont have
    to partition the new one first because the copy partition feature makes new
    partitions on the new drive.....
    I have done this a cupple of mo.'s ago and it worked better than anything
    else I have tried for cloning a HD, now I have 2 puters up and running with
    the exact same configuration.........
    dont get me wrong, I like Backup Exec's Disaster Recovery
    disks......but......for me, this way was so easy.......
    If you have questions email me RS@altinet.net

    RS
    RS@altinet.net

+ Reply to Thread