Re: Onstream DI-30 "Unable to initialize" - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: Onstream DI-30 "Unable to initialize" - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've got be 4.2 & di-30 and the combo works just fine together. I even tried 2 emergency backups and restores (to other disks) without a hitch. I tossed the echo software but I'm not sure I understand how the ...

  1. Re: Onstream DI-30 "Unable to initialize"

    I've got be 4.2 & di-30 and the combo works just fine together. I even tried 2
    emergency backups and restores (to other disks) without a hitch. I tossed the
    echo software but I'm not sure I understand how the emergency backup/restore of
    be can possibly be affected by echo. I'm sure I could be wrong about this but it
    seems that all of the real backup and recovery work is performed at the dos
    level by be and how echo could be 'owning' a resource at that point is beyond
    me. I udnerstand why after win98 or whatever is booted that there must be a
    conflict since one uses the device manager and the other doesn't but not for
    emergency.

    anyway , forwhat it's worth -- I've used be for a couple years and
    haven't had a problem with it when i needed it.

    mick

    David wrote:

    > I have an Onstream DI-30 tape drive which works fine with it's own software.
    > I also have Veritas Backup Exec 4.2 which also works fine on all other
    > media. I just can't get BE to work with the Onstream tapes. Each and every
    > time it "shoe-shines" for a couple of minutes and then comes up with "unable
    > to initialize" or something close to that. this is a Windows 98SE system
    > and I have disabled any utilities or programs that might interfere. Is
    > anyone using this combination successfully? I would love to be able to
    > make emergency recovery backups to tape. Thanks for any help.
    >
    > David

  2. Re: Onstream DI-30 "Unable to initialize"

    During the emergency restore there is no conflict as Echo is not loaded and
    only Backup Exec would have access to the tape drive device. However the
    backup operation is done under the Windows 9x environment. In this case Echo
    will load and it will interfere with Backup Exec when Backup Exec tries to
    access the tape drive.

    As I mentioned in my previous post, Seagate Software had released Direct
    Tape Access which is similar to Echo. DTA loaded at Windows startup and made
    a tape drive available as a large removable device. Backup Exec sensed the
    presence of DTA and when Backup Exec was started it disabled DTA, so Backup
    Exec could have control over the tape drive device. Once Backup Exec was
    closed, DTA was once again enabled and it got back control over the tape
    drive.

    John

    "Mickey Stein" wrote in message
    > I've got be 4.2 & di-30 and the combo works just fine together. I even

    tried 2
    > emergency backups and restores (to other disks) without a hitch. I tossed

    the
    > echo software but I'm not sure I understand how the emergency

    backup/restore of
    > be can possibly be affected by echo. I'm sure I could be wrong about this

    but it
    > seems that all of the real backup and recovery work is performed at the

    dos
    > level by be and how echo could be 'owning' a resource at that point is

    beyond
    > me. I udnerstand why after win98 or whatever is booted that there must be

    > conflict since one uses the device manager and the other doesn't but not

    for
    > emergency.
    >
    > anyway , forwhat it's worth -- I've used be for a couple years

    and
    > haven't had a problem with it when i needed it.
    >
    > mick
    >

    > David wrote:
    >
    > > I have an Onstream DI-30 tape drive which works fine with it's own

    software.
    > > I also have Veritas Backup Exec 4.2 which also works fine on all other
    > > media. I just can't get BE to work with the Onstream tapes. Each and

    every
    > > time it "shoe-shines" for a couple of minutes and then comes up with

    "unable
    > > to initialize" or something close to that. this is a Windows 98SE

    system
    > > and I have disabled any utilities or programs that might interfere. Is
    > > anyone using this combination successfully? I would love to be able to
    > > make emergency recovery backups to tape. Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > David

+ Reply to Thread