Re: Does the Recovery floppy work with a USB CD-RW? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: Does the Recovery floppy work with a USB CD-RW? - Veritas Backup Exec ; USB is not supported at DOS, so I would suggest BED development priority on USB devices would be minimal. It would be possible to recover using the PCs standard CDROM, where one is available, but this would negate the ability ...

  1. Re: Does the Recovery floppy work with a USB CD-RW?

    USB is not supported at DOS, so I would suggest BED development
    priority on USB devices would be minimal.

    It would be possible to recover using the PCs standard CDROM, where one is
    available, but this would negate the ability to use CDRW media for most people.
    This may leave customers with disaster recovery discs and unable to restore
    - esp. laptop Pcs using the CDR as only CDROM.

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    >I thought that I saw something the other day that stated that BED does not
    >work with USB yet.
    >
    >--
    >Please reply only to newsgroup.
    >John Stewart wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've used the Emerg. Recovery floppy with a HP7200 to restore my C-drive

    >many
    >> times ... now I'm thinking about getting a USB-connected CD-RW (like the
    >> HP8200e) and was wondering if the Recovery floppy would load the USB

    >drivers
    >> necessary to do the restore.

  2. Re: Does the Recovery floppy work with a USB CD-RW?

    On 2 Dec 1999 21:37:10 -0500, "Stephen Good"
    wrote:

    >USB is not supported at DOS, so I would suggest BED development
    >priority on USB devices would be minimal.
    >
    >It would be possible to recover using the PCs standard CDROM, where one is
    >available, but this would negate the ability to use CDRW media for most people.
    >This may leave customers with disaster recovery discs and unable to restore
    >- esp. laptop Pcs using the CDR as only CDROM.

    Problem is that unless the software has been changed, Backup Exec
    insists upon doing an emergency restore from the same device &
    device address that did the backup. Otherwise, it would be
    possible to create the backup on a USB CDRW & restore from a
    normal IDE CDROM. I can't think of a single logical reason for
    such a restriction, but it does exist (or did in a recent
    version).

+ Reply to Thread