BU Exec causes server hangup since moving from hub to switch - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BU Exec causes server hangup since moving from hub to switch - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have a vintage Novell 3.2 server that I use Backup Exec Pro (on a separate PC) to backup to tape on a Colorage 8GB drive. Three weeks ago we moved all our servers to our "new" server room. Before ...

  1. BU Exec causes server hangup since moving from hub to switch

    We have a vintage Novell 3.2 server that I use Backup Exec Pro (on a separate
    PC) to backup to tape on a Colorage 8GB drive. Three weeks ago we moved
    all our servers to our "new" server room. Before the move, the two boxes
    communicated through a 3com 10/100 hub. Now, after the move, the two boxes
    communicate through a D-Link 16 port 10/100 switch.

    I have configured two backups. The first is a backup to a file on the backup
    PC's harddrive at 9 PM that can miss a file opened by anyone who is working
    late, or who leaves something open. That backup usually finishes by 11 PM.
    The second is a backup to tape that runs at 12:10 AM only after Novell has
    chased everyone else off the server. If the backup to tape fails, then I
    can run a job that backs up the PC's hard drive with the file backup. Until
    I adopted that strategy, I would have to get certain people (payroll personnel)
    off the server in the morning so I could run a backup if the nightly failed.
    This was getting too frequent for our VP of Finance to tolerate.

    Everything functions correctly, except that BE Pro now causes the server
    to hang some time into the backup to tape! It isn't consistently one file
    or one sub-directory. Before the move, I had zero (0) problems with the
    server hanging, even if the tape backup failed. The only connectivity difference
    is the fact that the two boxes are speaking to each other through a switch
    rather than a hub and now using CAT 5e certified cables!

    I have doubled the SPX values using SPXCONFG. That worked over the July
    4th week-end, but it has been trouble ever since. Today on the backup box
    I switched the ISA network card (running at 10 MHZ) for a newer D-Link 10/100
    card. I will be in early to check it tomorrow morning.

    If anyone has any further suggestions, configuration tweaks for the Novell
    server, I would truly appreciate it! I'm not well verse in Novell and IPX.
    It Never used to be a problem. This server is especially critical because
    it has our payroll on it and my boss gets really, really concerned when anything
    unusual like this happens.

  2. Re: BU Exec causes server hangup since moving from hub to switch

    "Dewayne Grooms" wrote:

    >We have a vintage Novell 3.2 server that I use Backup Exec Pro (on a separate
    >PC) to backup to tape on a Colorage 8GB drive. Three weeks ago we moved
    >all our servers to our "new" server room. Before the move, the two boxes
    >communicated through a 3com 10/100 hub. Now, after the move, the two boxes
    >communicate through a D-Link 16 port 10/100 switch.
    >
    >I have configured two backups. The first is a backup to a file on the backup
    >PC's harddrive at 9 PM that can miss a file opened by anyone who is working
    >late, or who leaves something open. That backup usually finishes by 11

    PM.
    > The second is a backup to tape that runs at 12:10 AM only after Novell

    has
    >chased everyone else off the server. If the backup to tape fails, then

    >can run a job that backs up the PC's hard drive with the file backup. Until
    >I adopted that strategy, I would have to get certain people (payroll personnel)
    >off the server in the morning so I could run a backup if the nightly failed.
    > This was getting too frequent for our VP of Finance to tolerate.
    >
    >Everything functions correctly, except that BE Pro now causes the server
    >to hang some time into the backup to tape! It isn't consistently one file
    >or one sub-directory. Before the move, I had zero (0) problems with the
    >server hanging, even if the tape backup failed. The only connectivity difference
    >is the fact that the two boxes are speaking to each other through a switch
    >rather than a hub and now using CAT 5e certified cables!
    >
    >I have doubled the SPX values using SPXCONFG. That worked over the July
    >4th week-end, but it has been trouble ever since. Today on the backup box
    >I switched the ISA network card (running at 10 MHZ) for a newer D-Link 10/100
    >card. I will be in early to check it tomorrow morning.
    >
    >If anyone has any further suggestions, configuration tweaks for the Novell
    >server, I would truly appreciate it! I'm not well verse in Novell and IPX.
    > It Never used to be a problem. This server is especially critical because
    >it has our payroll on it and my boss gets really, really concerned when

    anything
    >unusual like this happens.

    Follow-up note: I checked it first thing this morning and both backups had
    run without any problems. The backup was significantly faster as well.
    So I am cautiously optimistic!

+ Reply to Thread