Using BE 4.5 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Using BE 4.5 - Veritas Backup Exec ; BE has reported the following for the longest time. What does it mean? How can I get rid of the error. This is a multiple boot system, with a separate Win 2000 in each of the F and G partitions ...

  1. Using BE 4.5

    BE has reported the following for the longest time.
    What does it mean?
    How can I get rid of the error.

    This is a multiple boot system, with a separate Win 2000 in each of the F
    and G partitions and Win 98 on the C drive.

    Error: F:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or volume
    label syntax is incorrect.
    Error: G:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or volume
    label syntax is incorrect.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;

  2. Re: Using BE 4.5

    Well, if misery loves company, and I sure am miserable, you've made me
    happy.

    There are 2 very weird file names in that directory on the G drive.
    1 appears to be associated with the crappy Textbridge scanner softer.
    Filename is "_ ~1", without the quotes.
    The other is "?", without the quotes.

    On the F drive, in that directory, there are two files with box name.
    --
    "Michael Anton" wrote in message
    > I've seen this too. It was caused by a file with a very strange name,

    often
    > using illegal characters. If you can find the file and delete it (not
    > always very easy), then the error will go away. I've only ever seen this

    in
    > the same directories that you are reporting.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Mike Anton
    >

    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > BE has reported the following for the longest time.
    > > What does it mean?
    > > How can I get rid of the error.
    > >
    > > This is a multiple boot system, with a separate Win 2000 in each of the

    > > and G partitions and Win 98 on the C drive.
    > >
    > > Error: F:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or

    > volume
    > > label syntax is incorrect.
    > > Error: G:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or

    > volume
    > > label syntax is incorrect.
    > >

    > > --
    > > http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    > > including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing;

    > Standards;
    > > Product functional/design/specifications

  3. Re: Using BE 4.5

    > BE has reported the following for the longest time.
    > What does it mean?
    > How can I get rid of the error.
    >
    > This is a multiple boot system, with a separate Win 2000 in each of the F
    > and G partitions and Win 98 on the C drive.
    >
    > Error: F:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or

    volume
    > label syntax is incorrect.
    > Error: G:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or

    volume
    > label syntax is incorrect.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    > including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing;

    Standards;
    > Product functional/design/specifications

  4. Re: Using BE 4.5

    > The other is "?", without the quotes.

    It's not actually "?", it's a box symbol.

    --
    > Well, if misery loves company, and I sure am miserable, you've made me
    > happy.
    >
    > There are 2 very weird file names in that directory on the G drive.
    > 1 appears to be associated with the crappy Textbridge scanner softer.
    > Filename is "_ ~1", without the quotes.
    > The other is "?", without the quotes.
    >
    > On the F drive, in that directory, there are two files with box name.
    > --
    > http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    > including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing;

    Standards;
    > Product functional/design/specifications
    > "Michael Anton" wrote in message
    > > I've seen this too. It was caused by a file with a very strange name,

    > often
    > > using illegal characters. If you can find the file and delete it (not
    > > always very easy), then the error will go away. I've only ever seen

    this
    > in
    > > the same directories that you are reporting.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps,
    > >
    > > Mike Anton
    > >

    > > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > > BE has reported the following for the longest time.
    > > > What does it mean?
    > > > How can I get rid of the error.
    > > >
    > > > This is a multiple boot system, with a separate Win 2000 in each of

    the
    > > > and G partitions and Win 98 on the C drive.
    > > >
    > > > Error: F:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or

    > > volume
    > > > label syntax is incorrect.
    > > > Error: G:\WINNT\? - error opening: The filename, directory name, or

    > > volume
    > > > label syntax is incorrect.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    > > > including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing;

    > > Standards;
    > > > Product functional/design/specifications

  5. Re: Using BE 4.5

    I've not got the courage to delete the files until I know what they are used
    for.
    Heck, I just deleted them.
    If I have to, I'll re-install the scanner software.

  6. Re: Using BE 4.5

    Why do you not rename them and see if the are important. if they are you can
    name them back.

    --
    John Butler

    > I've not got the courage to delete the files until I know what they are

    used
    > for.
    > Heck, I just deleted them.
    > If I have to, I'll re-install the scanner software.

  7. Re: Using BE 4.5

    They all appear to be scrap segments that would be part of a .ini file.
    Judging by the dates, I expect they are left over from the install of the
    Textbridge scanner software.
    I'm surprised scandisk did not complain about them.

    --
    "John Butler" wrote in message
    > Why do you not rename them and see if the are important. if they are you

    can
    > name them back.
    >
    > --
    > John Butler
    >

    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > I've not got the courage to delete the files until I know what they are

    > used
    > > for.
    > > Heck, I just deleted them.
    > > If I have to, I'll re-install the scanner software.

+ Reply to Thread