DR using old diskettes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on DR using old diskettes - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am using BUMP 4.81 under Windows XP and have two (more) questions regarding disaster recovery. When I run the DR wizard in order to create a DR set, I get 4 floppies and a DVD containing the contents of ...

  1. DR using old diskettes

    I am using BUMP 4.81 under Windows XP and have two (more) questions
    regarding disaster recovery.
    When I run the DR wizard in order to create a DR set, I get 4
    floppies and a DVD containing the contents of my hard drive in a file
    called back.qic. The DVD also has 33 small files, most of which are of the
    form *.xx_ but there are also *.exe files, *.dat files and a few others.
    When I do a full backup to my DVD (not via the DR wizard), I also get a
    large file called back.qic containing the contents of my hard drive, but
    nothing else. My first question, then, is whether I can do a complete DR
    using the 4 diskettes created by the wizard and the DVD created by the full
    backup; in other words, do I need those little files tacked on to my DVD by
    the DR wizard?
    My second question is shorter. If I backup just my system and c:
    \windows directory onto my DVD, can I then restore them using the 4 DR
    diskettes in the event of a complete crash?
    --

    Norman B. Grover
    Jerusalem, Israel

  2. Re: DR using old diskettes

    The DR process makes the DVD bootable. If you already have the Floppy disk
    too, then you can use full backups.

    Yes, but if you lose your HD you'll be out of luck on getting your data
    back.

    Chris

    "Norman B. Grover" wrote in message
    news:MPG.17cc63ce80601baa989689@news.support.verit as.com...
    > I am using BUMP 4.81 under Windows XP and have two (more) questions
    > regarding disaster recovery.
    > When I run the DR wizard in order to create a DR set, I get 4
    > floppies and a DVD containing the contents of my hard drive in a file
    > called back.qic. The DVD also has 33 small files, most of which are of the
    > form *.xx_ but there are also *.exe files, *.dat files and a few others.
    > When I do a full backup to my DVD (not via the DR wizard), I also get a
    > large file called back.qic containing the contents of my hard drive, but
    > nothing else. My first question, then, is whether I can do a complete DR
    > using the 4 diskettes created by the wizard and the DVD created by the

    full
    > backup; in other words, do I need those little files tacked on to my DVD

    by
    > the DR wizard?
    > My second question is shorter. If I backup just my system and c:
    > \windows directory onto my DVD, can I then restore them using the 4 DR
    > diskettes in the event of a complete crash?
    > --
    >
    > Norman B. Grover
    > Jerusalem, Israel

+ Reply to Thread