Disaster Recovery Problems - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery Problems - Veritas Backup Exec ; RESTORE AND EMERGENCY RESTORE PROBLEMS A computer crash completely wiped out both of my hard drives necessitating reformatting and a new Windows 2000 Professional installation. I had an emergency restore tape backup set (two tapes) which I intended to use ...

  1. Disaster Recovery Problems

    RESTORE AND EMERGENCY RESTORE PROBLEMS

    A computer crash completely wiped out both of my hard drives necessitating reformatting and a new Windows 2000 Professional installation. I had an emergency restore tape backup set (two tapes) which I intended to use with Veritas BackupExec Desktop Pro. I began to rebuild the catalog from the Device (Seagate ST8000A) but when the second (spanned) tape was read the following error message was returned, "This is not a continuation of the previous media. Please insert other media to continue."

    Question 1: Can a normal restore (overwriting existing files) be performed just using the Disaster Recovery Tapes (without the six diskettes)?

    The backup is about a month old (July 17, 2002) and the tape drive works. To be honest, I can't remember if I aborted the Disaster Recovery operation while it was writing to the second tape. The Veritas knowledge base says that if there is no catalog information available from the backup set (after the Restore from Device option) the only possibility is to use the services of a Data Restoration Company. This seems to be a very, very, expensive proposition.

    Veritas TechNote ID: 235344 discusses restoration of a Windows 2000 Professional system using the Disaster Recovery Diskette Set. After the final reboot the backup media is examined. The illustration in the article seems to suggest that Disaster Recovery Media #1 is being read directly without having to build a catalog. If this is the case then it would be possible for me to recover, at lease, some data.

    Question 2: Is this assumption correct?

    Question 3: In case answers to both questions are "no" can anyone recommend a good and very inexpensive (read cheap) data restoration company.

    Please respond to this newsgroup and also to my email address.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who offers suggestions.

  2. Re: Disaster Recovery Problems

    Okay Michael,

    You can restore items off the first tape, but you should avoid restoring any
    system files. Restoring partial system files or rebuilding half of the
    system will only bork your machine again.

    Do a full re-install. Install Backup, and start restoring data files, this
    will be a long process, but it is the cheapest version.

    Chris

    "Michael Broumberg" wrote in message

    ----

    > RESTORE AND EMERGENCY RESTORE PROBLEMS
    >
    > A computer crash completely wiped out both of my hard drives necessitating

    reformatting and a new Windows 2000 Professional installation. I had an
    emergency restore tape backup set (two tapes) which I intended to use with
    Veritas BackupExec Desktop Pro. I began to rebuild the catalog from the
    Device (Seagate ST8000A) but when the second (spanned) tape was read the
    following error message was returned, "This is not a continuation of the
    previous media. Please insert other media to continue."

    > Question 1: Can a normal restore (overwriting existing files) be

    performed just using the Disaster Recovery Tapes (without the six
    diskettes)?

    > The backup is about a month old (July 17, 2002) and the tape drive works.

    To be honest, I can't remember if I aborted the Disaster Recovery operation
    while it was writing to the second tape. The Veritas knowledge base says
    that if there is no catalog information available from the backup set (after
    the Restore from Device option) the only possibility is to use the services
    of a Data Restoration Company. This seems to be a very, very, expensive
    proposition.

    > Veritas TechNote ID: 235344 discusses restoration of a Windows 2000

    Professional system using the Disaster Recovery Diskette Set. After the
    final reboot the backup media is examined. The illustration in the article
    seems to suggest that Disaster Recovery Media #1 is being read directly
    without having to build a catalog. If this is the case then it would be
    possible for me to recover, at lease, some data.

    > Question 2: Is this assumption correct?
    >
    > Question 3: In case answers to both questions are "no" can anyone

    recommend a good and very inexpensive (read cheap) data restoration company.

    > Please respond to this newsgroup and also to my email address.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who offers suggestions.

  3. Re: Disaster Recovery Problems

    Michael,

    If your Disaster Recovery is spanned over two tapes you must use the floppy
    set to do an emergency Restore. If you aborted DR before writing to the
    second tape there is no chance it will work.

    If you upgrade to Win XP the native backup requires just one floppy and
    Veritas requires three.

    It is not clear what version of the package you are using. Veritas
    BackupExec Desktop Pro has been obsolete since version 5, and the current
    equivalent is BackUp My PC [Bump] version 4.81

    --
    Old Uncle John

    In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group
    not to me.
    "Michael Broumberg" wrote in message

    ----

    > RESTORE AND EMERGENCY RESTORE PROBLEMS
    >
    > A computer crash completely wiped out both of my hard drives necessitating

    reformatting and a new Windows 2000 Professional installation. I had an
    emergency restore tape backup set (two tapes) which I intended to use with
    Veritas BackupExec Desktop Pro. I began to rebuild the catalog from the
    Device (Seagate ST8000A) but when the second (spanned) tape was read the
    following error message was returned, "This is not a continuation of the
    previous media. Please insert other media to continue."

    > Question 1: Can a normal restore (overwriting existing files) be

    performed just using the Disaster Recovery Tapes (without the six
    diskettes)?

    > The backup is about a month old (July 17, 2002) and the tape drive works.

    To be honest, I can't remember if I aborted the Disaster Recovery operation
    while it was writing to the second tape. The Veritas knowledge base says
    that if there is no catalog information available from the backup set (after
    the Restore from Device option) the only possibility is to use the services
    of a Data Restoration Company. This seems to be a very, very, expensive
    proposition.

    > Veritas TechNote ID: 235344 discusses restoration of a Windows 2000

    Professional system using the Disaster Recovery Diskette Set. After the
    final reboot the backup media is examined. The illustration in the article
    seems to suggest that Disaster Recovery Media #1 is being read directly
    without having to build a catalog. If this is the case then it would be
    possible for me to recover, at lease, some data.

    > Question 2: Is this assumption correct?
    >
    > Question 3: In case answers to both questions are "no" can anyone

    recommend a good and very inexpensive (read cheap) data restoration company.

    > Please respond to this newsgroup and also to my email address.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who offers suggestions.

+ Reply to Thread