Media speed irrelevant with packet? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Media speed irrelevant with packet? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've heard that Backup MyPC uses packet-writing and that because of that fact it doesn't make any difference what speed rating your CD media is labeled at. Is this really the case, cut and dried? Is a 40x CD not ...

  1. Media speed irrelevant with packet?

    I've heard that Backup MyPC uses packet-writing and that because of that
    fact it doesn't make any difference what speed rating your CD media is
    labeled at. Is this really the case, cut and dried? Is a 40x CD not going to
    burn a backup any faster than a 24x media no matter what? (Of course, I have
    a 40x burner.)

    Is there any chance a future upgrade to the program might change that?

    I'm only looking at whether there's any benefit in using media that's rated
    above 24x or not, so the 1-4x stuff doesn't apply in the context of my
    inquiry here.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Media speed irrelevant with packet?

    Jay,

    I am not expert in large backups to CD. However with tape backup I have
    found that it is the system transfer speed which is the critical factor. In
    theory my 'dat' tape drive should transfer data at 100 MBM. In practice in
    never does better than 50 MBM whatever the media and backup software. I find
    that Sequoia, NTbackup and Bump 4.81 all transfer at the same speed.

    So I do not think that packet writing is what matters to you but of the
    transfer speed to your CD writer. Try backing up a substantial know slug of
    binary files to your drive once using the x24 and once using the x40.
    Do not change any settings between the back ups. Then if the write to disk
    time transfer time is the same then there is no advantage in using the more
    expensive media.

    --
    John Butler

    In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group
    not to me.
    "Jay" wrote in message
    > I've heard that Backup MyPC uses packet-writing and that because of that
    > fact it doesn't make any difference what speed rating your CD media is
    > labeled at. Is this really the case, cut and dried? Is a 40x CD not going

    > burn a backup any faster than a 24x media no matter what? (Of course, I

    have
    > a 40x burner.)
    >
    > Is there any chance a future upgrade to the program might change that?
    >
    > I'm only looking at whether there's any benefit in using media that's

    rated
    > above 24x or not, so the 1-4x stuff doesn't apply in the context of my
    > inquiry here.
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: Media speed irrelevant with packet?

    Jay,

    The speed is usually set the median speed of your CD burner. 40x burners
    will mostly burn at ~20x.

    Don't know about upping the speeds, most older drives can't handle it (one's
    without buffer underrun protection)

    Some hardware will recognize the "quality" of the disc and will use that to
    set the max burn speed of the drive. So if you get 24x media and your drive
    sets the max at 24x, then the software will burn @ 12x.

    So get the good stuff, but remember... Good media is never cheap, and since
    you're taking the time to backup your data, it must be important enough to
    spend $5 more on to get the good stuff. (go for name brands)

    Chris

    "Jay" wrote in message
    > I've heard that Backup MyPC uses packet-writing and that because of that
    > fact it doesn't make any difference what speed rating your CD media is
    > labeled at. Is this really the case, cut and dried? Is a 40x CD not going

    > burn a backup any faster than a 24x media no matter what? (Of course, I

    have
    > a 40x burner.)
    >
    > Is there any chance a future upgrade to the program might change that?
    >
    > I'm only looking at whether there's any benefit in using media that's

    rated
    > above 24x or not, so the 1-4x stuff doesn't apply in the context of my
    > inquiry here.
    >
    > Thanks!

  4. Re: Media speed irrelevant with packet?

    Well, now I'm definitely confused.

    I have a Plextor 40/12/40 CD drive. I've gone to great lengths to get info
    from them and finally sent me to a senior engineer at their engineering
    dept. What he's told me is twofold, the first of which is consistent with
    what you said but the latter of which is very different. What he told me is:

    1. The drive's firmware reads the media and, assuming it's a major brand and
    the particular "type" within that brand's range of types of media is listed
    in the firmware, the firmware will set the write strategy to burn that media
    at a given maximum speed (regarless of what the media's consumer packaging
    says -- sometimes the firmware will burn it slower, sometimes the same, and
    sometimes faster than what the media packaging says). As an asise, he also
    told me that this particular drive will never burn audio faster than 24x in
    order to maintain top quality audio burns, and that major names are
    certainly the best to use (they prefer Verbatim, then Maxell, as the two
    best, as well some TDK including all that are packaged saying 32x, some
    Taiyo Yuden, some Mitsui...).

    2. He said in an email to me: "For your backups duties your data should be
    worth good quality media. As backup utilities use packette writing method
    to encode the data, speed terms don't apply."

    That second one is what has me totally at a loss.

    Jay

  5. Re: Media speed irrelevant with packet?

    Jay,

    I think
    << As backup utilities use packette writing method
    > to encode the data, speed terms don't apply>>

    I suppose he means "packet". The statement is too broad and what Chris said
    above is sound advice.

    --

    "Jay" wrote in message
    > Well, now I'm definitely confused.
    >
    > I have a Plextor 40/12/40 CD drive. I've gone to great lengths to get info
    > from them and finally sent me to a senior engineer at their engineering
    > dept. What he's told me is twofold, the first of which is consistent with
    > what you said but the latter of which is very different. What he told me

    is:

    > 1. The drive's firmware reads the media and, assuming it's a major brand

    and
    > the particular "type" within that brand's range of types of media is

    listed
    > in the firmware, the firmware will set the write strategy to burn that

    media
    > at a given maximum speed (regarless of what the media's consumer packaging
    > says -- sometimes the firmware will burn it slower, sometimes the same,

    and
    > sometimes faster than what the media packaging says). As an asise, he also
    > told me that this particular drive will never burn audio faster than 24x

    in
    > order to maintain top quality audio burns, and that major names are
    > certainly the best to use (they prefer Verbatim, then Maxell, as the two
    > best, as well some TDK including all that are packaged saying 32x, some
    > Taiyo Yuden, some Mitsui...).
    >
    > 2. He said in an email to me: "For your backups duties your data should be
    > worth good quality media. As backup utilities use packette writing method
    > to encode the data, speed terms don't apply."
    >
    > That second one is what has me totally at a loss.
    >
    > Jay

+ Reply to Thread