Time to do NC-I vs NC-D after ASF - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Time to do NC-I vs NC-D after ASF - Veritas Backup Exec ; It seems to me that after doing an ASF, to do an NC-I should take the same time (backup the same files) as an NC-D the first time after the ASF, and that subsequent NC-D backups will become increasingly larger ...

  1. Time to do NC-I vs NC-D after ASF

    It seems to me that after doing an ASF, to do an NC-I should take the same
    time (backup the same files) as an NC-D the first time after the ASF, and
    that subsequent NC-D backups will become increasingly larger as more and
    more files are new and changed since the ASF, while choosing to instead do a
    series of NC-I backups after the ASF will take less time than an NC-D the
    more NC backups you do following that ASF. Is that about right?

    While it's obvious that a series of NC-I backups goes faster but would take
    longer on a restore, NC-D has the advanage that if one of the NC-I have a
    problem for any reason, your restore from the whole series of NC-I disks
    followinig that one will be compromised as a result.

    I wonder what most experienced users go with: NC-I or NC-D. (I plan to do a
    Full System ASF every two to four weeks.)

  2. Re: Time to do NC-I vs NC-D after ASF

    I'm a fan of differentials, but then again, I'm using a huge tape drive.

    Chris

    "Jay" wrote in message
    > It seems to me that after doing an ASF, to do an NC-I should take the same
    > time (backup the same files) as an NC-D the first time after the ASF, and
    > that subsequent NC-D backups will become increasingly larger as more and
    > more files are new and changed since the ASF, while choosing to instead do

    > series of NC-I backups after the ASF will take less time than an NC-D the
    > more NC backups you do following that ASF. Is that about right?
    >
    > While it's obvious that a series of NC-I backups goes faster but would

    take
    > longer on a restore, NC-D has the advanage that if one of the NC-I have a
    > problem for any reason, your restore from the whole series of NC-I disks
    > followinig that one will be compromised as a result.
    >
    > I wonder what most experienced users go with: NC-I or NC-D. (I plan to do

    > Full System ASF every two to four weeks.)

+ Reply to Thread