Omitting Verify/Compare - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Omitting Verify/Compare - Veritas Backup Exec ; If I omit the Verify/Compare step, how likely is it that BUMP 4.81 will let me know if it had a problem backing up when it's burning? In other words, if it seemed to go okay, and the Report after ...

  1. Omitting Verify/Compare

    If I omit the Verify/Compare step, how likely is it that BUMP 4.81 will let
    me know if it had a problem backing up when it's burning? In other words, if
    it seemed to go okay, and the Report after the backup is completed doesn't
    report any errors (without my having done a Verify/Compare), how likely is
    it that there were really no errors?

    Also, I notice that if I do a backup that spans multiple media (CD-R in my
    case) and then want to do a Compare, I can't do it on each media as an
    independent unit. I had thought that if I ran the first disk through just
    the initial stage of a Compare and it seemed to go okay through, say, the
    first 5% (not that it was giving me any reporting as it went along, but I'm
    hoping it will immediately flag a difference if it finds one), then did the
    same on each of the other media, I'd have a reasonably good indication all
    went well. However, it seems that it won't let me do a Compare on the other
    media from the set without it first going through the entire first media in
    the series. Is it a matter of it only needing to compare the folders on the
    first media that are spread across both media, or is it, in fact, requiring
    that it check the whole series?

    In general, what I'm obviously after is a way to get a "reasonably reliable"
    indication of whether the backup/burn went okay without having to do the
    whole Verify/Compare (as always, it's a matter of time constraints vs the
    desire to do more frequent backups).

    Thanks!

    Jay

  2. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    I guess the answer is in how valuable you consider the data you're backing
    up.

    You might not need to do it everytime, but you should verify it
    every-so-often. Disc drives are more likely to report errors than tape
    drives, but some of the time it's the media, and not the drive that is bad
    when it comes to verifing.

    Chris
    p.s.- I verify EVERY time.

    "Jay" wrote in message
    > If I omit the Verify/Compare step, how likely is it that BUMP 4.81 will

    let
    > me know if it had a problem backing up when it's burning? In other words,

    if
    > it seemed to go okay, and the Report after the backup is completed doesn't
    > report any errors (without my having done a Verify/Compare), how likely is
    > it that there were really no errors?
    >
    > Also, I notice that if I do a backup that spans multiple media (CD-R in my
    > case) and then want to do a Compare, I can't do it on each media as an
    > independent unit. I had thought that if I ran the first disk through just
    > the initial stage of a Compare and it seemed to go okay through, say, the
    > first 5% (not that it was giving me any reporting as it went along, but

    I'm
    > hoping it will immediately flag a difference if it finds one), then did

    the
    > same on each of the other media, I'd have a reasonably good indication all
    > went well. However, it seems that it won't let me do a Compare on the

    other
    > media from the set without it first going through the entire first media

    in
    > the series. Is it a matter of it only needing to compare the folders on

    the
    > first media that are spread across both media, or is it, in fact,

    requiring
    > that it check the whole series?
    >
    > In general, what I'm obviously after is a way to get a "reasonably

    reliable"
    > indication of whether the backup/burn went okay without having to do the
    > whole Verify/Compare (as always, it's a matter of time constraints vs the
    > desire to do more frequent backups).
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jay

  3. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    It depends on your drive: what are you using? For example, HP's newer "dat"
    drives are said to use the hardware to auto verify and users are recommended
    NOT to verify with software.

    I would expect that is you are writing to a new CD-R there is a very small
    risk of corruption, what is much more likely is that some files are skipped
    and verify will not help you know this, you need to look at the report. If
    you are archiving mission critical important data then you should verify.

    --
    John Butler

    In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group
    not to me.
    "Jay" wrote in message
    > If I omit the Verify/Compare step, how likely is it that BUMP 4.81 will

    let
    > me know if it had a problem backing up when it's burning? In other words,

    if
    > it seemed to go okay, and the Report after the backup is completed doesn't
    > report any errors (without my having done a Verify/Compare), how likely is
    > it that there were really no errors?
    >
    > Also, I notice that if I do a backup that spans multiple media (CD-R in my
    > case) and then want to do a Compare, I can't do it on each media as an
    > independent unit. I had thought that if I ran the first disk through just
    > the initial stage of a Compare and it seemed to go okay through, say, the
    > first 5% (not that it was giving me any reporting as it went along, but

    I'm
    > hoping it will immediately flag a difference if it finds one), then did

    the
    > same on each of the other media, I'd have a reasonably good indication all
    > went well. However, it seems that it won't let me do a Compare on the

    other
    > media from the set without it first going through the entire first media

    in
    > the series. Is it a matter of it only needing to compare the folders on

    the
    > first media that are spread across both media, or is it, in fact,

    requiring
    > that it check the whole series?
    >
    > In general, what I'm obviously after is a way to get a "reasonably

    reliable"
    > indication of whether the backup/burn went okay without having to do the
    > whole Verify/Compare (as always, it's a matter of time constraints vs the
    > desire to do more frequent backups).
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jay

  4. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    John,

    Thanks much for your comments. Actually, I'm using the new Plextor 40x
    burner (PX-W4012A or PlexWriter 40/12/40A, depending on where it's listed),
    which is not officially supported by BUMP 4.81 (not on the compatibility
    list). If I understand you correctly, skipped files will be listed in the
    Report as long as I have it set to do so (which I do, pe rthe default).

    I have yet to do a Restore from this drive but all seems to always go fine,
    with the exception of BUMP occassionally telling me it's not compatible
    media on the first attempt until I simply have it retry and then it burns
    fine. I did do a full-blown Compare after a backup a few times and it went
    fine (except saying System.dat had changed since the backup, which I assume
    is normal).

    Jay

    "John Butler" wrote in message
    > It depends on your drive: what are you using? For example, HP's newer

    "dat"
    > drives are said to use the hardware to auto verify and users are

    recommended
    > NOT to verify with software.
    >
    > I would expect that is you are writing to a new CD-R there is a very small
    > risk of corruption, what is much more likely is that some files are

    skipped
    > and verify will not help you know this, you need to look at the report. If
    > you are archiving mission critical important data then you should verify.
    >
    > --
    > John Butler
    >
    > In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group
    > not to me.
    > "Jay" wrote in message
    > > If I omit the Verify/Compare step, how likely is it that BUMP 4.81 will

    > let
    > > me know if it had a problem backing up when it's burning? In other

    words,
    > if
    > > it seemed to go okay, and the Report after the backup is completed

    doesn't
    > > report any errors (without my having done a Verify/Compare), how likely

    is
    > > it that there were really no errors?
    > >
    > > Also, I notice that if I do a backup that spans multiple media (CD-R in

    my
    > > case) and then want to do a Compare, I can't do it on each media as an
    > > independent unit. I had thought that if I ran the first disk through

    just
    > > the initial stage of a Compare and it seemed to go okay through, say,

    the
    > > first 5% (not that it was giving me any reporting as it went along, but

    > I'm
    > > hoping it will immediately flag a difference if it finds one), then did

    > the
    > > same on each of the other media, I'd have a reasonably good indication

    all
    > > went well. However, it seems that it won't let me do a Compare on the

    > other
    > > media from the set without it first going through the entire first media

    > in
    > > the series. Is it a matter of it only needing to compare the folders on

    > the
    > > first media that are spread across both media, or is it, in fact,

    > requiring
    > > that it check the whole series?
    > >
    > > In general, what I'm obviously after is a way to get a "reasonably

    > reliable"
    > > indication of whether the backup/burn went okay without having to do the
    > > whole Verify/Compare (as always, it's a matter of time constraints vs

    the
    > > desire to do more frequent backups).
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Jay

  5. Intermittend errors acknowledging the media

    John,

    On my last backup, for instance, as soon as I initiated the backup BUMP gave
    me an error message saying:

    "The device driver received an invalid request. [08-1A-07-01-0000]
    Unable to apply the required backup software format to this media. Please
    insert another media to continue."

    I just said "Ok" to clear the message and hit "Start" again, and it went
    fine, and a Compare verified it as fine.

    I was using a Taiyo Yuden "Type 1" 80-min CD-R, which is the first kind they
    made and not their most current technology, for whatever that's worth.

    The drive had finished spinning up to speed and had given me a green light
    before I first hit "Start", so I doubt that that was part of the problem.

    If I recall correctly, I've previously had similar messages, always just on
    initially starting a backup, saying it couldn't write to that kind of media
    (but I think with different language than the message above), but always
    doing fine on just hitting Ok and then Start again.

    What do you think?

    Thanks again.

    Jay

  6. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    Jay,

    Do you have the OS setup to use DMA enabled for that drive? Or is the OS
    using PIO mode?

    Chris

    "Jay" wrote in message
> [...]

    > all
    > > > went well. However, it seems that it won't let me do a Compare on the

    > > other
    > > > media from the set without it first going through the entire first

    media
    > > in
    > > > the series. Is it a matter of it only needing to compare the folders

    on
    > > the
    > > > first media that are spread across both media, or is it, in fact,

    > > requiring
    > > > that it check the whole series?
    > > >
    > > > In general, what I'm obviously after is a way to get a "reasonably

    > > reliable"
    > > > indication of whether the backup/burn went okay without having to do

    the
    > > > whole Verify/Compare (as always, it's a matter of time constraints vs

  7. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    I think your Ok and the message

    except saying System.dat had changed since the backup

    is normal.

    --

    "Jay" wrote in message
> [...]

    > all
    > > > went well. However, it seems that it won't let me do a Compare on the

    > > other
    > > > media from the set without it first going through the entire first

    media
    > > in
    > > > the series. Is it a matter of it only needing to compare the folders

    on
    > > the
    > > > first media that are spread across both media, or is it, in fact,

    > > requiring
    > > > that it check the whole series?
    > > >
    > > > In general, what I'm obviously after is a way to get a "reasonably

    > > reliable"
    > > > indication of whether the backup/burn went okay without having to do

    the
    > > > whole Verify/Compare (as always, it's a matter of time constraints vs

  8. Re: Intermittend errors acknowledging the media

    I think that sometimes your media is not ready and if it takes two hits to
    get it started I would not worry though you should check that you can indeed
    restore a test file to be sure

    --

    "Jay" wrote in message
    > John,
    >
    > On my last backup, for instance, as soon as I initiated the backup BUMP

    gave
    > me an error message saying:
    >
    > "The device driver received an invalid request. [08-1A-07-01-0000]
    > Unable to apply the required backup software format to this media. Please
    > insert another media to continue."
    >
    > I just said "Ok" to clear the message and hit "Start" again, and it went
    > fine, and a Compare verified it as fine.
    >
    > I was using a Taiyo Yuden "Type 1" 80-min CD-R, which is the first kind

    they
    > made and not their most current technology, for whatever that's worth.
    >
    > The drive had finished spinning up to speed and had given me a green light
    > before I first hit "Start", so I doubt that that was part of the problem.
    >
    > If I recall correctly, I've previously had similar messages, always just

    on
    > initially starting a backup, saying it couldn't write to that kind of

    media
    > (but I think with different language than the message above), but always
    > doing fine on just hitting Ok and then Start again.
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Jay

  9. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    DMA

    "Chris" wrote in message news:3d4aa084$1@hronntp01....
> [...]

    > > "John Butler" wrote in message
    > > > It depends on your drive: what are you using? For example, HP's newer

    > > "dat"
    > > > drives are said to use the hardware to auto verify and users are

    > > recommended
    > > > NOT to verify with software.
    > > >
    > > > I would expect that is you are writing to a new CD-R there is a very

    > small
    > > > risk of corruption, what is much more likely is that some files are

    > > skipped
    > > > and verify will not help you know this, you need to look at the

    report.
    > If
    > > > you are archiving mission critical important data then you should

    > verify.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > John Butler
    > > >
    > > > In the case of News Groups, please reply to the News Group

  10. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    What os?

    Chris

    "Jay" wrote in message
    > DMA
    >
    > "Chris" wrote in message news:3d4aa084$1@hronntp01....
    > > Jay,
    > >
    > > Do you have the OS setup to use DMA enabled for that drive? Or is the OS
    > > using PIO mode?
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > "Jay" wrote in message
    > > > John,
    > > >
    > > > Thanks much for your comments. Actually, I'm using the new Plextor 40x
    > > > burner (PX-W4012A or PlexWriter 40/12/40A, depending on where it's

    > > listed),
    > > > which is not officially supported by BUMP 4.81 (not on the

    compatibility
    > > > list). If I understand you correctly, skipped files will be listed in

    > the
    > > > Report as long as I have it set to do so (which I do, pe rthe

    default).

    > > > I have yet to do a Restore from this drive but all seems to always go

    > > fine,
    > > > with the exception of BUMP occassionally telling me it's not

    compatible
    > > > media on the first attempt until I simply have it retry and then it

    > burns
    > > > fine. I did do a full-blown Compare after a backup a few times and it

    > went
    > > > fine (except saying System.dat had changed since the backup, which I

    > > assume
    > > > is normal).
    > > >
    > > > Jay
    > > >

    > > > "John Butler" wrote in message

    newer
    > > > "dat"
    > > > recommended

    > > small
    > > > skipped

    > report.
    > > If

    > > verify.

    > > will
    > > > words,
    > > > doesn't

    > > likely
    > > > is

    (CD-R
    > > in
    > > > my

    as
    > an

    through
    > > > just

    > say,
    > > > the

    along,
    > > but

    then
    > > did

    > indication
    > > > all

    > the

    > > media

    folders
    > > on

    do
    > > the

    > vs
    > > > the

  11. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    Win98SE.

    Jay

    "Chris" wrote in message news:3d50124f$1@hronntp01....
    > What os?
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > "Jay" wrote in message
    > > DMA
    > >
    > > "Chris" wrote in message news:3d4aa084$1@hronntp01....
    > > > Jay,
    > > >
    > > > Do you have the OS setup to use DMA enabled for that drive? Or is the

    OS
    > > > using PIO mode?
    > > >
    > > > Chris
    > > >
    > > > "Jay" wrote in message

    40x
    > > > listed),

    > compatibility

    in
    > > the

    > default).

    go
    > > > fine,

    > compatible

    > > burns

    it
    > > went
    > > > assume

    > newer

    very
    > > > small

    are

    > > report.
    > > > If
    > > > verify.

    4.81
    > > > will

    other

    completed
    > > > likely

    > (CD-R
    > > > in

    > as
    > > an

    > through

    > > say,

    > along,
    > > > but

    > then
    > > > did

    > > indication

    on
    > > the

    first
    > > > media

    > folders
    > > > on

    fact,

    "reasonably

    > do
    > > > the

    constraints
    > > vs

  12. Re: Omitting Verify/Compare

    Chris, given the redundancy, let's move the rest of this thread to the one I
    started on 8/6/02 at 3:35AM entitles "NC-I backup disk...". What do you
    think about that?

    Thank you again!

+ Reply to Thread