New CDRW problem - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on New CDRW problem - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have been using Desktop Backup Pro with Win98 on a PC for a year or so and love it. Today, I replaced my old and slow HP CD Writer with a faster Polaroid 32x CD burner. The problem is ...

  1. New CDRW problem

    I have been using Desktop Backup Pro with Win98 on a PC for a year or so and
    love it. Today, I replaced my old and slow HP CD Writer with a faster Polaroid
    32x CD burner. The problem is that the Desktop Pro does not see it as an
    available backup device.

    What do I need to do to make it use my new CD burner? Do I have to reinstall
    the backup software?

    Thank you for the help.
    Don

  2. Re: New CDRW problem

    . Today, I replaced my old and slow HP CD Writer with a faster Polaroid
    >32x CD burner. The problem is that the Desktop Pro does not see it as an
    >available backup device.

    I upgraded to a memorex maxx12 10 32 and that wasn't recognised.
    I got BackupMyPC(trial) from May PCPLUS and that appeared to work.
    BacupMyPC is an upgrade from BE pro. It can be downloaded as upgrade for
    39euros from Orlogix.
    However I have now discovered that my drive is not 'supported' and cannot
    use CDRW discs :-(

  3. Re: New CDRW problem

    On 2 May 2002 17:09:22 -0400, "phil housley"
    wrote:

    >BacupMyPC is an upgrade from BE pro

    Howdy,

    In what sense is it an "upgrade"? Some have suggested that it is the
    dame as Backup Exec Desktop Pro with a new name.

    Thanks for any comments,
    Kenneth

  4. Re: New CDRW problem

    "Kenneth" wrote in message
    > On 2 May 2002 17:09:22 -0400, "phil housley"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >BacupMyPC is an upgrade from BE pro

    > Howdy,
    >
    > In what sense is it an "upgrade"? Some have suggested that it is the
    > dame as Backup Exec Desktop Pro with a new name.
    >
    > Thanks for any comments,
    > Kenneth

    Hi Kenneth,

    Backup Exec Desktop went end-of-life last August at version 4.5. it is no
    longer sold or supported. Veritas have contracted 3 companies, Stomp in
    North America, Orlogix in EMEA And ESJ in the Pacific Rim to sell and
    support it's replacement, called Backup MyPC.
    This product, while taking Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 as a starting point
    will continue to be developed, with new features, and OS and device support
    being added continuously from now on.

    http://www.orlogix.com
    http://www.stompinc.com
    http://www.easy.co.jp/

    Gary (Orlogix staff)

    --
    Self-referencing
    Five, seven, five syllables

  5. Re: New CDRW problem

    Gary,

    It is an "upgrade" only if you have the old Veritas version 4.5

    --
    John Butler

    Please reply to the News Group e-mail is not accepted.
    "Gary Pigott" wrote in message
    > "Kenneth" wrote in message
    > > On 2 May 2002 17:09:22 -0400, "phil housley"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >BacupMyPC is an upgrade from BE pro

    > > Howdy,
    > >
    > > In what sense is it an "upgrade"? Some have suggested that it is the
    > > dame as Backup Exec Desktop Pro with a new name.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any comments,
    > > Kenneth

    > Hi Kenneth,
    >
    > Backup Exec Desktop went end-of-life last August at version 4.5. it is no
    > longer sold or supported. Veritas have contracted 3 companies, Stomp in
    > North America, Orlogix in EMEA And ESJ in the Pacific Rim to sell and
    > support it's replacement, called Backup MyPC.
    > This product, while taking Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 as a starting

    point
    > will continue to be developed, with new features, and OS and device

    support
    > being added continuously from now on.
    >
    > http://www.orlogix.com
    > http://www.stompinc.com
    > http://www.easy.co.jp/
    >

    > Gary (Orlogix staff)
    >

    > --
    > Self-referencing
    > Five, seven, five syllables
    > This haiku contains
    > http://garypigott.net

  6. Re: New CDRW problem

    It wasn't *very* clear in my original post but I meant an upgrade from Desktop
    Pro 4.5.That is it costs less as an upgrade as opposed to buying for the
    first time.

    >It is an "upgrade" only if you have the old Veritas version 4.5
    >> >
    >> > Howdy,
    >> >
    >> > In what sense is it an "upgrade"? Some have suggested that it is the
    >> > dame as Backup Exec Desktop Pro with a new name.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any comments,
    >> > Kenneth

    >> Hi Kenneth,
    >>
    >> Backup Exec Desktop went end-of-life last August at version 4.5. it is

    no
    >> longer sold or supported. Veritas have contracted 3 companies, Stomp in
    >> North America, Orlogix in EMEA And ESJ in the Pacific Rim to sell and
    >> support it's replacement, called Backup MyPC.
    >> This product, while taking Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 as a starting

    >point
    >> will continue to be developed, with new features, and OS and device

    >support
    >> being added continuously from now on.
    >>
    >> http://www.orlogix.com
    >> http://www.stompinc.com
    >> http://www.easy.co.jp/
    >>

    >> Gary (Orlogix staff)
    >>

    >> --
    >> Self-referencing
    >> Five, seven, five syllables
    >> This haiku contains
    >> http://garypigott.net

  7. Re: New CDRW problem

    Yes, you should upgrade to 4.71

    --

    "Phil Housley" wrote in message

    > It wasn't *very* clear in my original post but I meant an upgrade from

    Desktop
    > Pro 4.5.That is it costs less as an upgrade as opposed to buying for the
    > first time.
    >

    > >It is an "upgrade" only if you have the old Veritas version 4.5

    > >> Hi Kenneth,
    > >>
    > >> Backup Exec Desktop went end-of-life last August at version 4.5. it is

    > no
    > >> longer sold or supported. Veritas have contracted 3 companies, Stomp in
    > >> North America, Orlogix in EMEA And ESJ in the Pacific Rim to sell and
    > >> support it's replacement, called Backup MyPC.
    > >> This product, while taking Backup Exec Desktop Pro v4.5 as a starting

    > >point
    > >> will continue to be developed, with new features, and OS and device

    > >support
    > >> being added continuously from now on.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.orlogix.com
    > >> http://www.stompinc.com