What a company! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What a company! - Veritas Backup Exec ; I bought Version 4.5 Pro in July of this year. I used it on my PC at home running Windows ME and on 20 GIG hard disk with one extended partition (D) where I kept my application stuff and downloaded ...

  1. What a company!

    I bought Version 4.5 Pro in July of this year. I used it on my PC at home
    running Windows ME and on 20 GIG hard disk with one extended partition (D)
    where I kept my application stuff and downloaded software.

    Early this week I decided to remove Windows ME and go back to Windows 98. In
    this process as you know it runs ScanDisk before starting the actual removal
    process. I started getting many file errors on my C: Drive so I finally
    statred from scratch with my Win98 Startup up disk, formated my C: drive and
    installed Win98 (sorry to be so long winded).

    When I went into explorer I couldn't see my extended partiton (D) that had
    all my applications stuff and my downloaded 4.5.
    I could see the partition on PartitionMagic but couldn't do much with it (it
    was described as some hex type not FAT32). So after much research I blew the
    "D" partition away. Now I have all kinds of backup disks from 4.5 and the
    stupid thing on my part was I should have saved my 4.5 download in some
    other form.

    So....I figured I could call tech support (Veritas) and get a URL to
    download from..They said no, the Stomp or some other retailer handled it and
    referred me to their number. These folks at Stomp said they couldn't help me
    with 4.5 and wanted to sell me their version of crap for $99.

    I can download their last upgrade because it expects to find 4.5 installed.

    What a piece a crap for a company. Either Veritas or Stomp would certainly
    build customer loyalty by trying to help folks out instead of dropping them
    and earning the fast buck.

    I'm a retired CIS guy and teach part time at a local Community College here
    in Arizona. I going to spread the word among my cronies and at the CIS
    department at the college to avoid these clowns. they should be ashamed of
    themselves.

  2. Re: What a company!

    Anthony,

    Your experience reflects mine. (I have several postings on this group
    trying to resolve some Win 2000 problems, )and I like you had bought all of
    my software by download. Never again on a backup program.

    And like you, I can affect some corporate purchases. Veritas has left a
    very bad taste in my mouth.

    They were totally unresponsive.

    Dunc
    "ANTHONY OLSON" wrote in message
    > I bought Version 4.5 Pro in July of this year. I used it on my PC at home
    > running Windows ME and on 20 GIG hard disk with one extended partition (D)
    > where I kept my application stuff and downloaded software.
    >
    > Early this week I decided to remove Windows ME and go back to Windows 98.

    In
    > this process as you know it runs ScanDisk before starting the actual

    removal
    > process. I started getting many file errors on my C: Drive so I finally
    > statred from scratch with my Win98 Startup up disk, formated my C: drive

    and
    > installed Win98 (sorry to be so long winded).
    >
    > When I went into explorer I couldn't see my extended partiton (D) that had
    > all my applications stuff and my downloaded 4.5.
    > I could see the partition on PartitionMagic but couldn't do much with it

    (it
    > was described as some hex type not FAT32). So after much research I blew

    the
    > "D" partition away. Now I have all kinds of backup disks from 4.5 and the
    > stupid thing on my part was I should have saved my 4.5 download in some
    > other form.
    >
    > So....I figured I could call tech support (Veritas) and get a URL to
    > download from..They said no, the Stomp or some other retailer handled it

    and
    > referred me to their number. These folks at Stomp said they couldn't help

    me
    > with 4.5 and wanted to sell me their version of crap for $99.
    >
    > I can download their last upgrade because it expects to find 4.5

    installed.

    > What a piece a crap for a company. Either Veritas or Stomp would certainly
    > build customer loyalty by trying to help folks out instead of dropping

    them
    > and earning the fast buck.
    >
    > I'm a retired CIS guy and teach part time at a local Community College

    here
    > in Arizona. I going to spread the word among my cronies and at the CIS
    > department at the college to avoid these clowns. they should be ashamed of
    > themselves.

  3. Re: What a company!

    When you purchased the 4.5 download you should have received some kind of
    "download recovery" program. Did you save it some where. I've downloaded my
    copy of 4.2 more than once.

    --
    Live Long and Prosper,
    CRH

    "ANTHONY OLSON" wrote in message

    [...]

    I should have saved my 4.5 download in some
    > other form.
    >
    > So....I figured I could call tech support (Veritas) and get a URL to
    > download from..They said no, the Stomp or some other retailer handled it

    and
    > referred me to their number. These folks at Stomp said they couldn't help

    me
    > with 4.5 and wanted to sell me their version of crap for $99.
    >
    > I can download their last upgrade because it expects to find 4.5

    installed.

    [...]

  4. Re: What a company!

    No, I really got egg on my face on this one. I got everything back (mostly).
    I'm always saving things to to my SuperDisk and I made a Win98 backup on
    8/31. But I only backed up my by veritas software with PRO. I would have
    made a data CDROM eventually. Thanks for asking.
    Tony
    "CRH" wrote in message
    > When you purchased the 4.5 download you should have received some kind of
    > "download recovery" program. Did you save it some where. I've downloaded

    my
    > copy of 4.2 more than once.
    >
    > --
    > Live Long and Prosper,
    > CRH
    >
    > "ANTHONY OLSON" wrote in message
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > I should have saved my 4.5 download in some
    > > other form.
    > >
    > > So....I figured I could call tech support (Veritas) and get a URL to
    > > download from..They said no, the Stomp or some other retailer handled it

    > and
    > > referred me to their number. These folks at Stomp said they couldn't

    help
    > me
    > > with 4.5 and wanted to sell me their version of crap for $99.
    > >
    > > I can download their last upgrade because it expects to find 4.5

    > installed.
    >
    > [...]

+ Reply to Thread