and what about off-line computers? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on and what about off-line computers? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have met an other annoyance: When I edit a backup job while a computer is off-line, this computer directories (previosly checked for backup) are removed from the job! All computers over the network must be on-line when editing a ...

  1. and what about off-line computers?

    I have met an other annoyance:

    When I edit a backup job while a computer is off-line, this computer
    directories (previosly checked for backup) are removed from the job! All
    computers over the network must be on-line when editing a job. Of course
    they have to be on-line during the backup but I hardly understand why
    existing items in a job are removed if they aren't available at edit time...

    The same problem as in my previous post: it is not possible to add items to
    backup if the browser does not see them. A manual text entry would be
    welcome...

    Jean-Pierre Drolet
    Scientech R&D

  2. Re: and what about off-line computers?

    "Jean-Pierre Drolet" wrote:
    >When I edit a backup job while a computer is off-line, this computer
    >directories (previosly checked for backup) are removed from the job! All
    >computers over the network must be on-line when editing a job. Of course
    >they have to be on-line during the backup but I hardly understand why
    >existing items in a job are removed if they aren't available at edit time...

    I've run into this very annoying problem as well.

    A worse scenario occurs when one of the network computers is offline
    (or turned off) during a backup. In that case, the backup DEFINITION
    was changed by Veritas and the other drive letter removed.

    If you don't carefully look at the log report each day, then from that
    day forward you WILL NOT be backing up the other computer even ifis
    back online again.

    Discussing this with HP/Colorado and Veritas got me nowhere.

    ---> <--- (that's a representation of two people pointing the finger
    at the other person)

  3. Re: and what about off-line computers?

    How about editing the profile.dat file manually. That is the location that
    stores the backup jobs. It is not too complex to figure out, and is just a
    text file. I've done this, and it works fine. Take a look at it. I
    believe you will find the file in the system directory where you installed
    the software.

    Mike Anton

    "Jean-Pierre Drolet" wrote in message
    > I have met an other annoyance:
    >
    > When I edit a backup job while a computer is off-line, this computer
    > directories (previosly checked for backup) are removed from the job! All
    > computers over the network must be on-line when editing a job. Of course
    > they have to be on-line during the backup but I hardly understand why
    > existing items in a job are removed if they aren't available at edit

    time...

    > The same problem as in my previous post: it is not possible to add items

    > backup if the browser does not see them. A manual text entry would be
    > welcome...
    >
    > Jean-Pierre Drolet
    > Scientech R&D

  4. Re: and what about off-line computers?

    Thanks for the workaroound.

    I thought of this but failed to locate the job file.

    Jean-Pierre Drolet

+ Reply to Thread