How to backup protected or hidden shared directories? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How to backup protected or hidden shared directories? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, In a peer-to-peer network, how to make BE to backup shared directories that are password protected or hidden? Is there a way to specify a password or to enter enter hidden directory names that are not shown in the ...

  1. How to backup protected or hidden shared directories?

    Hello,

    In a peer-to-peer network, how to make BE to backup shared directories that
    are password protected or hidden? Is there a way to specify a password or to
    enter enter hidden directory names that are not shown in the browser? I
    would like to avoid to drive map these directories.

    Thanks

    Jean-Pierre Drolet
    Scientech R&D

  2. Re: How to backup protected or hidden shared directories?

    Have you tried unhiding them, creating the Backup job and then hiding them
    again?

    --
    isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Jean-Pierre Drolet" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > In a peer-to-peer network, how to make BE to backup shared directories

    that
    > are password protected or hidden? Is there a way to specify a password or

    > enter enter hidden directory names that are not shown in the browser? I
    > would like to avoid to drive map these directories.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jean-Pierre Drolet
    > Scientech R&D

  3. Re: How to backup protected or hidden shared directories?

    Unfortunately, you hide a shared directory appending a '$' at the end of the
    name. I did not try it but I doubt that that it will work because the shared
    name has been changed after hiding. Isn't it?

    Jean-Pierre Drolet

    "Isildur" a écrit dans le message news:
    3b94fa3f$1@hronntp01....
    > Have you tried unhiding them, creating the Backup job and then hiding them
    > again?
    >
    > --

  4. Re: How to backup protected or hidden shared directories?

    Jean-Pierre

    Who ever had the status to hide it can unhide it. However I wonder why DBE
    is not seeing the hidden folders? It does see everything in my system but
    some are not backed up by default. This data is in one of the registry keys
    for Veritas software. You can see what is being auto excluded and modify it.

    --

    > Unfortunately, you hide a shared directory appending a '$' at the end of

    the
    > name. I did not try it but I doubt that that it will work because the

    shared
    > name has been changed after hiding. Isn't it?
    >
    > Jean-Pierre Drolet
    >

    > "Isildur" a écrit dans le message news:
    > 3b94fa3f$1@hronntp01....
    > > Have you tried unhiding them, creating the Backup job and then hiding

    them
    > > again?
    > >
    > > --

  5. Re: How to backup protected or hidden shared directories?

    I can see the hidden directories in my system with BE Pro but I can't see
    the hiiden shared directories on other computers. For example, if you share
    the C:\ drive of a computer giving it the shared name C$ the drive is shared
    but does not appear in the list of shares for this computer. It seems there
    is no way to enter C$ in the backup job. The same for password protect
    shares. You can add the protected shared directory to the job but can't
    specify a password.

    The only solution, which is not a real solution for a software advertised to
    backup peer-to-peer network, seems to map these directories as drives and I
    would like to avoid this. Any hints?

    Thanks anyway,

    3b9508b0$1@hronntp01....
    > Jean-Pierre
    >
    > Who ever had the status to hide it can unhide it. However I wonder why

    DBE
    > is not seeing the hidden folders? It does see everything in my system but
    > some are not backed up by default. This data is in one of the registry

    keys
    > for Veritas software. You can see what is being auto excluded and modify

    it.

    > --
    > isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

  6. Re: How to backup protected or hidden shared directories?

    For what you want to do the latest edition of Norton Ghost 2001 would seem
    to be a possible better route than BE32

    --

    > I can see the hidden directories in my system with BE Pro but I can't see
    > the hiiden shared directories on other computers. For example, if you

    share
    > the C:\ drive of a computer giving it the shared name C$ the drive is

    shared
    > but does not appear in the list of shares for this computer. It seems

    there
    > is no way to enter C$ in the backup job. The same for password protect
    > shares. You can add the protected shared directory to the job but can't
    > specify a password.
    >
    > The only solution, which is not a real solution for a software advertised

    > backup peer-to-peer network, seems to map these directories as drives and

    > would like to avoid this. Any hints?
    >
    > Thanks anyway,
    >
    > Jean-Pierre Drolet
    >

    > "Isildur" a écrit dans le message news:
    > 3b9508b0$1@hronntp01....
    > > Jean-Pierre
    > >
    > > Who ever had the status to hide it can unhide it. However I wonder why

    > DBE
    > > is not seeing the hidden folders? It does see everything in my system

    but
    > > some are not backed up by default. This data is in one of the registry

    > keys
    > > for Veritas software. You can see what is being auto excluded and modify

    > it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread