IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe - Veritas Backup Exec ; I backup all data to tape weekly using Desktop Backup Exec [Veritas version 4.61]. After installing IE 6 early last week my Friday evening backup failed. I found the error messages I expected that this meant a conflict between files ...

  1. IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe

    I backup all data to tape weekly using Desktop Backup Exec [Veritas version 4.61]. After installing IE 6 early last week my Friday evening backup failed. I found the error messages

    I expected that this meant a conflict between files in the DBE folder and in \Windows\System. A search confirmed that IE6 had updated the files of that name in its OWN folder and in System to 6.02479.6 whereas the files in the DBE folder were version 5.50.4134.1
    I could not remove the two files in System while in Windows [protected by system Restore] so I went to DOS with the Win Me start-up disk and renamed them.
    When I returned to Windows and ran the backup manually it was OK and no error messages. IE6 is working without problems.
    This above is rather a crude way of fixing the problem and I would like to hear of a more professional way of doing it.

    --
    isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

    --
    isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

  2. Re: IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe

    I was told by tech support that the programs that BE uses to exclude files is in the IE 5 installs. If you install IE 6.0 this will happen as they are not compatable with the IE 6.0 files that now there. The only suggestion that they gave me is to uninstall IE 6.0 and reinstall IE 5.5. My version only allows me back to the previous IE install which also happens to IE 6.0. Another bug that will never be fixed.
    "Isildur" wrote in message news:3b926c7c@hronntp01....
[...]

  3. Re: IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe

    Fred,

    Thank you for the information. The problem arises because Windows 9x\Me always looks first for a dll in \windows\system [introduced in win 95]. However if the file is not in \windows\system\ the application will look next in it's own home folder.
    Since the Bewin32 referenced files superseded by an IE update are always in the \program files\internet explore\ folder you can safely move then out of the \Windows\System\ folder or rename them.
    I have had to do this check since Bewin32 4.0 whenever IE is upgraded. I think that 4.5 uses the IE5 dll's for channel viewer and that 4.61 uses IE 5.5 dll's.
    I had thought their might be a neater fix "for all time"

    --
    isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

    "FRED FELTY" wrote in message news:3b92f37c@hronntp01....
[...]

  4. Re: IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe

    I have Win 2000 SP 2, IE 5.5 SP 2 and BDE Pro 4.5 with the versions of
    MFC42.dll listed below.
    There is no MFC42.dll in the Veritas directories.

    Since the version of the MFC42.dll is already higher than that you say would
    be installed by IE6, I would expect not to experience such a problem.

    I have version 6.0.8665.0 in the following directories:

    WINNT\system32
    WINNT\system32\dllcache

    I have version 6.0.8267.0 in the following directories:

    WINNT\system32\DR_TEMP\System
    Program Files\Microsoft Office\ODETools\V9\Runtime\min\SYSTEM
    Program Files\Microsoft Office\ODETools\V9\Runtime\full\SYSTEM
    Program Files\Microsoft Office\ODETools\V9\Runtime\SYSTEM

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing
    and reviewing; Standards
    "Isildur" wrote in message
[...]

  5. Re: IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe

    Howard,

    I am using Win Me so my data may be irrelevant. For what it is worth I have
    MFC42.DLL in my Veritas\Backup Exec Folder: It is version 6.0.8665.
    I would expect you to have it in your Veritas folder.
    What is the file doing in
    WINNT\system32\DR_Temp\System ?
    Could this be part of an installation failure and the file should be moved
    to the Veritas\Desktop Backup Executive folder?
    --
    isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > I have Win 2000 SP 2, IE 5.5 SP 2 and BDE Pro 4.5 with the versions of
    > MFC42.dll listed below.
    > There is no MFC42.dll in the Veritas directories.
    >
    > Since the version of the MFC42.dll is already higher than that you say

    would
    > be installed by IE6, I would expect not to experience such a problem.
    >
    > I have version 6.0.8665.0 in the following directories:
    >
    > WINNT\system32
    > WINNT\system32\dllcache
    >
    > I have version 6.0.8267.0 in the following directories:
    >
    > WINNT\system32\DR_TEMP\System
    > Program Files\Microsoft Office\ODETools\V9\Runtime\min\SYSTEM
    > Program Files\Microsoft Office\ODETools\V9\Runtime\full\SYSTEM
    > Program Files\Microsoft Office\ODETools\V9\Runtime\SYSTEM
    >
    > --
    > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    > message.
    >
    > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    > Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing
    > and reviewing; Standards
    > "Isildur" wrote in message
    > I backup all data to tape weekly using Desktop Backup Exec [Veritas

    version
    > 4.61]. After installing IE 6 early last week my Friday evening backup
    > failed. I found the error messages
    >
    > I expected that this meant a conflict between files in the DBE folder and

    in
    > \Windows\System. A search confirmed that IE6 had updated the files of that
    > name in its OWN folder and in System to 6.02479.6 whereas the files in the
    > DBE folder were version 5.50.4134.1
    > I could not remove the two files in System while in Windows [protected by
    > system Restore] so I went to DOS with the Win Me start-up disk and renamed
    > them.
    > When I returned to Windows and ran the backup manually it was OK and no
    > error messages. IE6 is working without problems.
    > This above is rather a crude way of fixing the problem and I would like to
    > hear of a more professional way of doing it.
    >
    > --
    > isildur@blueyonder.co.uk
    >
    > --
    > isildur@blueyonder.co.uk

  6. Re: IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe

    "Isildur" wrote in message
    > Howard,
    >
    > I am using Win Me so my data may be irrelevant.

    Ayup, Win 2000 is a very different critter.

    > For what it is worth I have
    > MFC42.DLL in my Veritas\Backup Exec Folder: It is version 6.0.8665.
    > I would expect you to have it in your Veritas folder.

    Why?
    There's no reason to since it's in the WinNt system directory.

    > What is the file doing in
    > WINNT\system32\DR_Temp\System ?
    > Could this be part of an installation failure and the file should be moved
    > to the Veritas\Desktop Backup Executive folder?

    I do not recall any installation failure.
    It's not uncommon for programs to leave crap around after an install.
    In any case, it's the file in the system's directory that matters.

  7. Re: IE 6 installation causes fault in Bewin32.exe

    You are right that it is the file in the System folder that dominates unless
    the class path has been set differently. But if a PC has been using the same
    OS for some time with applications gradually added [over a year in my case]
    many will not work with brand new DLL's for Internet Explorer 6 which
    brutally overwrites all the paths in the Registry.

    It is not only a question of where the files reside but how their path is
    pointed. To solve my problem I had to review all the class paths for the
    applications for the two files referenced and point them to the correct file
    version.

    However maybe we are at crossed purposes because if you have no problems
    there is no need to worry where the files reside :-)

    --

    > "Isildur" wrote in message
    > > Howard,
    > >
    > > I am using Win Me so my data may be irrelevant.

    > Ayup, Win 2000 is a very different critter.
    >
    > > For what it is worth I have
    > > MFC42.DLL in my Veritas\Backup Exec Folder: It is version 6.0.8665.
    > > I would expect you to have it in your Veritas folder.

    > Why?
    > There's no reason to since it's in the WinNt system directory.
    >
    > > What is the file doing in
    > > WINNT\system32\DR_Temp\System ?
    > > Could this be part of an installation failure and the file should be

    moved
    > > to the Veritas\Desktop Backup Executive folder?

    > I do not recall any installation failure.
    > It's not uncommon for programs to leave crap around after an install.
    > In any case, it's the file in the system's directory that matters.

+ Reply to Thread