Device Support for TDK - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Device Support for TDK - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas? I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to be able to backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just ...

  1. Device Support for TDK

    Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas?
    I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to be able
    backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just too
    slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Device Support for TDK

    do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive

    Chris

    "Mike" wrote in message news:3b8329dd$1@hronntp01....

    > Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas?
    > I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to be

    able
    > backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just too
    > slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Re: Device Support for TDK

    I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that will no
    longer provide support on-line or by telephone.

    --
    onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Chris" wrote in message news:3b832b4c@hronntp01....
    > do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    > firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    > 6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    > 2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > "Mike" wrote in message news:3b8329dd$1@hronntp01....
    > >
    > > Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas?
    > > I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to be

    > able
    > > backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just too
    > > slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

  4. Re: Device Support for TDK

    If you will notice there aren't any Sanyo drives on the list. And the TDK
    drives that are on the list are Plextor OEMs.
    Sanyo = bad
    Plextor = GOOD

    Chris

    "John Butler" wrote in message
    > I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    > product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that will

    no
    > longer provide support on-line or by telephone.
    >
    > --
    > onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk
    >

    > "Chris" wrote in message news:3b832b4c@hronntp01....
    > > do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    > > firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    > > 6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    > > 2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >

    > > "Mike" wrote in message news:3b8329dd$1@hronntp01....
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas?
    > > > I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to

    be
    > > able
    > > > backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just too
    > > > slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!

  5. Re: Device Support for TDK

    Chris, its 6.xx. I submitted an enhancement request asking if they would
    work on a driver.

    "Chris" wrote:
    >do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    >firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    >6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    >2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    >
    >Chris
    >

    >"Mike" wrote in message news:3b8329dd$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas?
    >> I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to be

    >able
    >> backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just too
    >> slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks!

  6. Re: Device Support for TDK

    you should also submit a request to TDK and Sanyo to get their drives fully
    MMC3 complient, but that's just wishfull thinking.

    Chris
    "Mike" wrote in message news:3b85b8b9$1@hronntp01....

    > Chris, its 6.xx. I submitted an enhancement request asking if they would
    > work on a driver.
    >

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > >do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    > >firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    > >6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    > >2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >

    > >"Mike" wrote in message news:3b8329dd$1@hronntp01....
    > >>
    > >> Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas?
    > >> I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to be

    > >able
    > >> backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just too
    > >> slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!

  7. Re: Device Support for TDK

    Just for everyones information: Support for Backup Exec Desktop versions 4.2
    - 4.5 will be available until December 31, 2001. I received a newsletter
    decribing all of this. After that only the online tech documents will be
    available. If you want phone support after that, just get the new vertsion
    upgrade for $29 from Stomp. 4.5 is over a year and a half old anyway. People
    really can't expect brand new devices such as a 24x burner to work with software
    that was released over a year ago. This is why there are new versions released.
    A little intellegence and a little less bitterness goes a long way.

    "John Butler" wrote:
    >I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    >product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that will

    no
    >longer provide support on-line or by telephone.
    >
    >--
    >onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk
    >

    >"Chris" wrote in message news:3b832b4c@hronntp01....
    >> do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    >> firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    >> 6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    >> 2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>

    >> "Mike" wrote in message news:3b8329dd$1@hronntp01....
    >> >
    >> > Has anyone been able to request and get device support from Veritas?
    >> > I recently purchased the latest CDRW from TDK (24/10/40) and need to

    be
    >> able
    >> > backup to it. My old HP drive was supported but 4/4/24 was just too
    >> > slow. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks!

  8. Re: Device Support for TDK

    I'm not getting bitter on this James. I purchased 4.5 less than 6 months
    ago. I did not know it has been out that long.
    With this information I will persue the upgrade path. Thank you for the
    info.

    However, I do realize that the drive is new and that support is not
    there yet. But I do expect that the vendor should be able to provide feedback
    as to whether or not support is or will
    be provided. As for a little intellegence, I'll leave that alone.

    "James Donovan" wrote:

    >Just for everyones information: Support for Backup Exec Desktop versions

    4.2
    >- 4.5 will be available until December 31, 2001. I received a newsletter
    >decribing all of this. After that only the online tech documents will be
    >available. If you want phone support after that, just get the new vertsion
    >upgrade for $29 from Stomp. 4.5 is over a year and a half old anyway. People
    >really can't expect brand new devices such as a 24x burner to work with

    software
    >that was released over a year ago. This is why there are new versions released.
    >A little intellegence and a little less bitterness goes a long way.
    >
    >"John Butler" wrote:
    >>I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    >>product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that will

    >no
    >>longer provide support on-line or by telephone.
    >>
    >>--
    >>onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk
    >>

    >>"Chris" wrote in message news:3b832b4c@hronntp01....
    >>> do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    >>> firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    >>> 6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    >>> 2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >be
    >>> able

  9. Re: Device Support for TDK

    Your comment is wide of the mark because I NEVER got support from Veritas on
    4.5 even when it was newly purchased. They have no e-mail support and their
    complex coded telephone support does not work here.

    --
    onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk

    "James Donovan" wrote in message

    > Just for everyones information: Support for Backup Exec Desktop versions

    4.2
    > - 4.5 will be available until December 31, 2001. I received a newsletter
    > decribing all of this. After that only the online tech documents will be
    > available. If you want phone support after that, just get the new vertsion
    > upgrade for $29 from Stomp. 4.5 is over a year and a half old anyway.

    People
    > really can't expect brand new devices such as a 24x burner to work with

    software
    > that was released over a year ago. This is why there are new versions

    released.
    > A little intellegence and a little less bitterness goes a long way.
    >
    > "John Butler" wrote:
    > >I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    > >product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that will

    > no
    > >longer provide support on-line or by telephone.
    > >
    > >--
    > >onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk
    > >

    > >"Chris" wrote in message news:3b832b4c@hronntp01....
    > >> do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    > >> firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    > >> 6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    > >> 2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    > >>
    > >> Chris

    > be
    > >> able

  10. Re: Device Support for TDK

    James,

    You are right on the mark with your comment. Even highly intelligent people
    like to have a reply to a simple question.
    [ Its like that dude who saw "American Pie" and decided to bake himself one
    and try making love to it like in the film. This is true - I saw it in a
    newspaper!! Unfortunately he did not know - even though he was highly
    intelligent - that the pie had to be allowed to cool of before he made love
    to it. He ended up in hospital with a boiled dick.

    --
    onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk

    "Mike" wrote in message news:3b86a511$1@hronntp01....

    > I'm not getting bitter on this James. I purchased 4.5 less than 6 months
    > ago. I did not know it has been out that long.
    > With this information I will persue the upgrade path. Thank you for the
    > info.
    >
    > However, I do realize that the drive is new and that support is not
    > there yet. But I do expect that the vendor should be able to provide

    feedback
    > as to whether or not support is or will
    > be provided. As for a little intellegence, I'll leave that alone.
    >

    > "James Donovan" wrote:
    > >
    > >Just for everyones information: Support for Backup Exec Desktop versions

    > 4.2
    > >- 4.5 will be available until December 31, 2001. I received a newsletter
    > >decribing all of this. After that only the online tech documents will be
    > >available. If you want phone support after that, just get the new

    vertsion
    > >upgrade for $29 from Stomp. 4.5 is over a year and a half old anyway.

    People
    > >really can't expect brand new devices such as a 24x burner to work with

    > software
    > >that was released over a year ago. This is why there are new versions

    released.
    > >A little intellegence and a little less bitterness goes a long way.
    > >
    > >"John Butler" wrote:
    > >>I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    > >>product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that

    will
    > >no
    > >>longer provide support on-line or by telephone.
    > >>
    > >>--
    > >>onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk

    > >be

  11. Re: Device Support for TDK

    I have a TDK 12/10/32 burner. The Backup Exec pro 4.61 now supports this burner
    and I backup successfully to it.
    Veritas told me the Stomp product is Backup Exec 4.5 and not Backup Exec
    pro. It is not as good according to Veritas and they told me to stick with
    4.61.
    Isn't it stupid that this information isn't clearly available?

    "James Donovan" wrote:

    >Just for everyones information: Support for Backup Exec Desktop versions

    4.2
    >- 4.5 will be available until December 31, 2001. I received a newsletter
    >decribing all of this. After that only the online tech documents will be
    >available. If you want phone support after that, just get the new vertsion
    >upgrade for $29 from Stomp. 4.5 is over a year and a half old anyway. People
    >really can't expect brand new devices such as a 24x burner to work with

    software
    >that was released over a year ago. This is why there are new versions released.
    >A little intellegence and a little less bitterness goes a long way.
    >
    >"John Butler" wrote:
    >>I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    >>product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that will

    >no
    >>longer provide support on-line or by telephone.
    >>
    >>--
    >>onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk
    >>

    >>"Chris" wrote in message news:3b832b4c@hronntp01....
    >>> do you have the 24/10/40 or the 24/10/40X drive?? You can tell by the
    >>> firmware revision # that the drive has too.
    >>> 6.xx is a Sanyo drive
    >>> 2.xx is anouther manufacturers drive
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >be
    >>> able

  12. Re: Device Support for TDK

    Stomp's new version, Backup MyPC v 4.6 is an upgrade from 4.5 and 4.5 Pro.
    It has all the features of 4.5, 4.5Pro, and 4.61. I don't know who you spoke
    with over at veritas, but they were incorrect. I have all three versions
    and I know for a fact that I am correct. eMail the support if you like: helpdesk@support.veritas.com

    "Brian" wrote:

    >I have a TDK 12/10/32 burner. The Backup Exec pro 4.61 now supports this

    burner
    >and I backup successfully to it.
    >Veritas told me the Stomp product is Backup Exec 4.5 and not Backup Exec
    >pro. It is not as good according to Veritas and they told me to stick with
    >4.61.
    >Isn't it stupid that this information isn't clearly available?
    >

    >"James Donovan" wrote:
    >>
    >>Just for everyones information: Support for Backup Exec Desktop versions

    >4.2
    >>- 4.5 will be available until December 31, 2001. I received a newsletter
    >>decribing all of this. After that only the online tech documents will be
    >>available. If you want phone support after that, just get the new vertsion
    >>upgrade for $29 from Stomp. 4.5 is over a year and a half old anyway. People
    >>really can't expect brand new devices such as a 24x burner to work with

    >software
    >>that was released over a year ago. This is why there are new versions released.
    >>A little intellegence and a little less bitterness goes a long way.
    >>
    >>"John Butler" wrote:
    >>>I have not been able to get any support from Veritas for months on this
    >>>product, even when newly purchased. In fact they have announced that will

    >>no
    >>>longer provide support on-line or by telephone.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>onclejean@blueyonder.co.uk

    >>be

+ Reply to Thread