Is 4.61 the ADIOS AMIGOS version from Veritas? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Is 4.61 the ADIOS AMIGOS version from Veritas? - Veritas Backup Exec ; What is going on here? I think I have all the old history versions (Arcada, Seagate, HP, Veritas...). Maybe there's even more history. Now Backup Exec Pro is DEFUNCT? Or is Veritas just tired of supporting (ha ha) it themselves? ...

  1. Is 4.61 the ADIOS AMIGOS version from Veritas?

    What is going on here?

    I think I have all the old history versions (Arcada, Seagate, HP,
    Veritas...). Maybe there's even more history.

    Now Backup Exec Pro is DEFUNCT? Or is Veritas just tired of
    supporting (ha ha) it themselves?

    Is there any difference between 4.61 and the Stomper BackupMyPC
    version at
    http://www.stompinc.com/veritas/bump-retail.phtml?stp

    I saw the Stomper upgrade download was $29.

    Is Veritas going to behind-the-scenes support it and develop it to
    Stomper and then we call Stomper? Or is this the end-of-the-line
    product and we should look for alternatives?

    I realize that tape backup software is on the decline for home/small
    office and there's lots of competition now for CDR/W backup software.
    Heck, even finding a HP or Seagate tape drive at a store is
    impossible, wereas it used to be prevalent.

    Does anyone have the STRAIGHT STORY ANSWER?
    John

  2. Re: Is 4.61 the ADIOS AMIGOS version from Veritas?

    See www.veritas.com to find out.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
    converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards
    "John F" wrote in message
    > What is going on here?
    >
    > I think I have all the old history versions (Arcada, Seagate, HP,
    > Veritas...). Maybe there's even more history.
    >
    > Now Backup Exec Pro is DEFUNCT? Or is Veritas just tired of
    > supporting (ha ha) it themselves?
    >
    > Is there any difference between 4.61 and the Stomper BackupMyPC
    > version at
    > http://www.stompinc.com/veritas/bump-retail.phtml?stp
    >
    > I saw the Stomper upgrade download was $29.
    >
    > Is Veritas going to behind-the-scenes support it and develop it to
    > Stomper and then we call Stomper? Or is this the end-of-the-line
    > product and we should look for alternatives?
    >
    > I realize that tape backup software is on the decline for home/small
    > office and there's lots of competition now for CDR/W backup software.
    > Heck, even finding a HP or Seagate tape drive at a store is
    > impossible, wereas it used to be prevalent.
    >
    > Does anyone have the STRAIGHT STORY ANSWER?
    > John

  3. Re: Is 4.61 the ADIOS AMIGOS version from Veritas?

    If you look at the write up the small print says that it was formerly
    Desktop Backup Exec Pro. As it "combines the best features of DBE and DBE
    Pro" it is likely the same as the 4.61 Upgrade.

    --
    john@onclejean.co.uk

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > See www.veritas.com to find out.
    >
    > --
    > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    > message.
    >
    > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
    > converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing;

    Standards
    > "John F" wrote in message
    > > What is going on here?
    > >
    > > I think I have all the old history versions (Arcada, Seagate, HP,
    > > Veritas...). Maybe there's even more history.
    > >
    > > Now Backup Exec Pro is DEFUNCT? Or is Veritas just tired of
    > > supporting (ha ha) it themselves?
    > >
    > > Is there any difference between 4.61 and the Stomper BackupMyPC
    > > version at
    > > http://www.stompinc.com/veritas/bump-retail.phtml?stp
    > >
    > > I saw the Stomper upgrade download was $29.
    > >
    > > Is Veritas going to behind-the-scenes support it and develop it to
    > > Stomper and then we call Stomper? Or is this the end-of-the-line
    > > product and we should look for alternatives?
    > >
    > > I realize that tape backup software is on the decline for home/small
    > > office and there's lots of competition now for CDR/W backup software.
    > > Heck, even finding a HP or Seagate tape drive at a store is
    > > impossible, wereas it used to be prevalent.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have the STRAIGHT STORY ANSWER?
    > > John

  4. Re: Is 4.61 the ADIOS AMIGOS version from Veritas?

    John F
    In another post I noted
    < Desktop Backup Exec Pro. As it "combines the best features of DBE and DBE
    Pro" it is likely the same as the 4.61 Upgrade.>>

    I think it is the end of the line for this product. I did not see an upgrade
    but the full version at $85!
    Veritas are obviously tipping their product into the low end retail market.
    As for DBE 4.61 I found that in my windows Millennium system it would not
    install correctly using the 4.5 folder with auto-uninstall. Then having
    manually completely removed 4.5 before installing 4.61, the latter installed
    OK but did not seem different to 4.5 except for the bloated utility which
    reports the relative amount of your hard drives that have been backed up.
    [Though support for a few more CDRW drives has been added which could be
    useful to new users. For long time users like me there would be the hassle
    of importing all the old 4.5 catalogue.]
    With hard drives are so cheap and Iomega's "Preserve" twenty GB zip drives
    now appearing don't
    you think that the future must be with disk image copiers [e.g like those
    marketed by Powerquest] and away from CDWR's & Tape using file writers like
    Desktop Backup.
    I think that is the way I shall go though I am sorry to lose all the history
    going back to Arcadia and Colorado, about eleven years I think.

    --john@onclejean.co.uk

    PS I found some snags installing 4.61 due to the installer hunting for files
    on the Internet which conflicted with both antivirus and firewall software.
    I had to do vanilla boot after uninstalling 4.5 with my network connection
    disabled. on returning to normal windows Millennium the newly installed 4.61
    immediately downloaded upgrade files from the internet. i have gone back to
    4.5

    "John F" wrote in message
    > What is going on here?
    >
    > I think I have all the old history versions (Arcada, Seagate, HP,
    > Veritas...). Maybe there's even more history.
    >
    > Now Backup Exec Pro is DEFUNCT? Or is Veritas just tired of
    > supporting (ha ha) it themselves?
    >
    > Is there any difference between 4.61 and the Stomper BackupMyPC
    > version at
    > http://www.stompinc.com/veritas/bump-retail.phtml?stp
    >
    > I saw the Stomper upgrade download was $29.
    >
    > Is Veritas going to behind-the-scenes support it and develop it to
    > Stomper and then we call Stomper? Or is this the end-of-the-line
    > product and we should look for alternatives?
    >
    > I realize that tape backup software is on the decline for home/small
    > office and there's lots of competition now for CDR/W backup software.
    > Heck, even finding a HP or Seagate tape drive at a store is
    > impossible, wereas it used to be prevalent.
    >
    > Does anyone have the STRAIGHT STORY ANSWER?
    > John

+ Reply to Thread