Can I backup on one PC & restore on another? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can I backup on one PC & restore on another? - Veritas Backup Exec ; This is my situation - two PC's with Win2K - one is a laptop and the other is a desktop, and they are networked together occasionally. With Backup Pro, I backup selected data files from both PC's using BU Pro ...

  1. Can I backup on one PC & restore on another?

    This is my situation - two PC's with Win2K - one is a laptop and the
    other is a desktop, and they are networked together occasionally. With
    Backup Pro, I backup selected data files from both PC's using BU Pro on
    the desktop. If I want to restore from the laptop, however, I cannot.
    The wizard will not allow me to restore from the catalog, and when I
    select "from media" and point it to either the CD ROM in the laptop or
    the CD RW on the desktop (each obviously loaded with the backup data
    CD), it says the media is not properly formatted. If I try to restore
    from the desktop, however (from where the files were originally backed
    up), there is no problem.

    Is this a limitation of the software - that the machine that creates the
    backup must be the machine that restores? If so, then if I suffer a
    catastrophic failure of the hard drive, how do I get my data files
    restored on an essentially "new" pc once a new drive is installed?

  2. Clarrification

    When I say "restore from the laptop" - I mean using the laptop's version of
    BU Pro to restore the laptop files originally backed up by the desktop when
    the two pc's were networked together. I do not mean using BU pro on the
    desktop to restore laptop files - to which there is no problem. Sorry if
    that was confusing.

    Lee wrote:

    > This is my situation - two PC's with Win2K - one is a laptop and the
    > other is a desktop, and they are networked together occasionally. With
    > Backup Pro, I backup selected data files from both PC's using BU Pro on
    > the desktop. If I want to ***restore from the laptop***, however, I
    > cannot.
    > The wizard will not allow me to restore from the catalog, and when I
    > select "from media" and point it to either the CD ROM in the laptop or
    > the CD RW on the desktop (each obviously loaded with the backup data
    > CD), it says the media is not properly formatted. If I try to restore
    > from the desktop, however (from where the files were originally backed
    > up), there is no problem.
    >
    > Is this a limitation of the software - that the machine that creates the
    > backup must be the machine that restores? If so, then if I suffer a
    > catastrophic failure of the hard drive, how do I get my data files
    > restored on an essentially "new" pc once a new drive is installed?

  3. Re: Can I backup on one PC & restore on another?

    Lee wrote:

    >This is my situation - two PC's with Win2K - one is a laptop and the
    >other is a desktop, and they are networked together occasionally. With
    >Backup Pro, I backup selected data files from both PC's using BU Pro on
    >the desktop. If I want to restore from the laptop, however, I cannot.
    >The wizard will not allow me to restore from the catalog, and when I
    >select "from media" and point it to either the CD ROM in the laptop or
    >the CD RW on the desktop (each obviously loaded with the backup data
    >CD), it says the media is not properly formatted. If I try to restore
    >from the desktop, however (from where the files were originally backed
    >up), there is no problem.
    >
    >Is this a limitation of the software - that the machine that creates the
    >backup must be the machine that restores? If so, then if I suffer a
    >catastrophic failure of the hard drive, how do I get my data files
    >restored on an essentially "new" pc once a new drive is installed?

    --------
    This is a limitation of the software. You must restore from the
    original device, and it must be hooked up locally. For instance, you
    cannot restore files backed up to a CD-RW drive from a CD-ROM drive
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

+ Reply to Thread