BEDpro: repeated failure on one logical drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BEDpro: repeated failure on one logical drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; I use BE Desktop Pro 4.5 to back up two WinMe systems to each other across 100Mbps Ethernet. Recently, I've been getting consistent failures on attempts to back up one (and only one) logical drive. Sometimes it locks the source ...

  1. BEDpro: repeated failure on one logical drive

    I use BE Desktop Pro 4.5 to back up two WinMe systems to each other across
    100Mbps Ethernet. Recently, I've been getting consistent failures on attempts
    to back up one (and only one) logical drive. Sometimes it locks the source
    system hard (no pattern to the file being processed at the time); sometimes
    I'm told there's not enough disk space, although both source and target drives
    have many GB free. Nothing from ScanDisk, PartitionMagic, or anything else
    suggests that there's anything unusual about this logical drive.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: BEDpro: repeated failure on one logical drive

    Are you backing up to a device? If so, you might try doing the same backup
    job to "File" rather than to your backup device. See if the error occurs
    this way. If it does not, you may be running into a caching issue with your
    network. I bet you can copy all of the files manually through the network
    from that logical drive right? It works fine at full speed, but since Backup
    Exec is backing up to a slow device such as tape or CD, the network is continually
    being pinged much slower than normal, and since Backup Exec uses the OS layer
    to go through the network, Windows sometimes locks. Anyway, hope this helps.

    "Monte Davis" wrote:

    >I use BE Desktop Pro 4.5 to back up two WinMe systems to each other across
    >100Mbps Ethernet. Recently, I've been getting consistent failures on attempts
    >to back up one (and only one) logical drive. Sometimes it locks the source
    >system hard (no pattern to the file being processed at the time); sometimes
    >I'm told there's not enough disk space, although both source and target

    drives
    >have many GB free. Nothing from ScanDisk, PartitionMagic, or anything else
    >suggests that there's anything unusual about this logical drive.
    >
    >Any ideas?

  3. Re: BEDpro: repeated failure on one logical drive

    "Robert" wrote:

    >Are you backing up to a device? If so, you might try doing the same backup
    >job to "File" rather than to your backup device...

    Thanks, but no -- I'm backing up each system's drives to "File," a .QIC on
    the other system's HDD. I'd thought about network issues, but can't see why
    they'd affect only the backup of this one logical drive.

+ Reply to Thread