Excluded file types - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Excluded file types - Veritas Backup Exec ; I understand that the knowledge base has a list of file types by extension that BE Pro excludes by default. Can someone point me specifically to the location please. Does it make sense to exclude files from the backup by ...

  1. Excluded file types

    I understand that the knowledge base has a list of file types by extension
    that BE Pro excludes by default. Can someone point me specifically to the
    location please. Does it make sense to exclude files from the backup by
    type, i.e., chk, dat, tmp??
    If so, what file extensions do I want to exclude from my backup?

  2. Re: Excluded file types

    > I understand that the knowledge base has a list of file types by extension
    > that BE Pro excludes by default. Can someone point me specifically to the
    > location please. Does it make sense to exclude files from the backup by
    > type, i.e., chk, dat, tmp??
    > If so, what file extensions do I want to exclude from my backup?

    By searching for the word "excluded" here is what I found:

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    This document lists the files automatically excluded during backup with
    Backup Exec for Windows 95/98.

    The following files are automatically excluded from the backup process
    (i.e. they are not logged and will not be displayed in the Select Files
    Window):

    The following files in the \WINDOWS directory are automatically excluded:

    SYSTEM.~~R (Copy of Registry)
    USER.~~R (Copy of Registry)
    WIN386.SWP (Windows swap file on the local machine only)
    All files in the TEMP directory

    The following files in installed Backup directory are automatically
    excluded:
    *.IDX (Catalog database)
    PROFILE.DAT (Profile)
    *.RPT (All report files)

    Backup Exec for Windows 95/98 also includes automatic exclusion for:
    PAGEFILE.SYS (NT file)
    OFIDX.FFA (Microsoft Office fast index files)
    Windows 95/98 Recycle bin

    That list makes me nervous.....

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com