What do you get extra in Backup Pro? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on What do you get extra in Backup Pro? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I've been using Backup Exec Desktop Edition (4.0)to backup data from all the machines in my little Windows network using mapped network drives. I've been wondering whether to invest in an upgrade to the Pro version so I downloaded ...

  1. What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    Hi,

    I've been using Backup Exec Desktop Edition (4.0)to backup data from all
    the machines in my little Windows network using mapped network drives. I've
    been wondering whether to invest in an upgrade to the Pro version so I downloaded
    the manual for Backup Pro. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the manual
    that address the advertised extras for peer-to peer networks. So...what's
    the deal; are there any advantages for a user like me?

    Thanks.

    Athena

  2. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    > I've been using Backup Exec Desktop Edition (4.0)to backup data from all
    > the machines in my little Windows network using mapped network drives. I've
    > been wondering whether to invest in an upgrade to the Pro version so I downloaded
    > the manual for Backup Pro. Unfortunately, there's nothing in the manual
    > that address the advertised extras for peer-to peer networks. So...what's
    > the deal; are there any advantages for a user like me?
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Athena

    I believe the 2 functions you get with Pro are:

    1. Ability to perform a Disaster Restore from boot disks without having to
    reinstall Windows (theoretically....). Have you actually tested any
    "full" restores in your current environment with several pcs?

    2. Peer to Peer support.

    If you already have those 2 features in 4.0, then probably one of the
    differences in 4.5 is support for more cdr's than 4.0

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  3. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    > So...what's
    > the deal; are there any advantages for a user like me?

    I forgot to mention the other obvious thing: Prior to version 4.5, there
    was only ONE version.

    In version 4.5 Veritas created 2 versions, the normal one and the PRO one.
    Whether that was to lower the price of the regular version or charge more
    for the Pro version is up for each person to decide...

    I assume that bugs in 4.0 version were fixed in 4.5, but then there are
    probably other bugs in 4.5...

    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  4. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    I have restored a remote machine from my tape drive. I just had to boot with
    a diskette that had network drivers so that it was visible to the other machine.
    Once I did that, I could map the drive and restore the files. The backup
    for the system was essentially just a disk copy and that's what was restored.
    It takes longer than cloning with an imaging program but for some reason
    I find it easier to manage tapes than myriad CDs.

    I'm still coming up blank as far as "peer-to-peer" support though. What
    does that means in this context? There is zilch information in the user
    guide. Exactly what features do Windows Network (not Netware) peer-to-peer
    users get?

    Are you saying that the Pro version would allow me to control the tape drive
    from the remote machine?

    Athena

    John F wrote:

    >I believe the 2 functions you get with Pro are:
    >
    >1. Ability to perform a Disaster Restore from boot disks without having

    >reinstall Windows (theoretically....). Have you actually tested any
    >"full" restores in your current environment with several pcs?
    >
    >2. Peer to Peer support.
    >
    >If you already have those 2 features in 4.0, then probably one of the
    >differences in 4.5 is support for more cdr's than 4.0
    >
    >John
    >jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  5. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    > I have restored a remote machine from my tape drive. I just had to boot with
    > a diskette that had network drivers so that it was visible to the other machine.
    > Once I did that, I could map the drive and restore the files. The backup
    > for the system was essentially just a disk copy and that's what was restored.
    > It takes longer than cloning with an imaging program but for some reason
    > I find it easier to manage tapes than myriad CDs.
    >
    > I'm still coming up blank as far as "peer-to-peer" support though. What
    > does that means in this context? There is zilch information in the user
    > guide. Exactly what features do Windows Network (not Netware) peer-to-peer
    > users get?
    >
    > Are you saying that the Pro version would allow me to control the tape drive
    > from the remote machine?
    >
    > Athena

    First, you created this DOS bootdisk with the network drivers; not Veritas.
    It's not provided with BE. Many people (myself included) would like to
    know how to create one.

    The standard version WILL NOT read from or restore to a "mapped drive".
    That is the feature that is disabled. The PRO version will. Hence you can
    only backup (and restore) your local pc.

    You can NOT control the tape drive from a remote machine in any version.

  6. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    John F wrote:
    > The standard version WILL NOT read from or restore to a "mapped drive".
    > That is the feature that is disabled.

    Okay, that's a difference between version 4.2 and 4.5. *If* I were to upgrade
    I would definitely have to go the Pro route.

    > You can NOT control the tape drive from a remote machine in any version.

    Then how can you do a true disaster recovery on a remote machine in BE Pro?

    > First, you created this DOS bootdisk with the network drivers; not Veritas.
    > It's not provided with BE. Many people (myself included) would like to
    > know how to create one.

    Well I created mine using an old MSMAIL (WFWG) utility. It may be the same one
    that NT4 Server runs when you create a DOS setup disk for a remote station. I
    assume that Win2000 server has something similar too. I have to admit, it
    wasn't very easy to add support for my later model network adapters though.

    I just got Ghost 2001 last week and noticed that it also comes with a setup
    routine to create a DOS diskette with network drivers and all the current cards
    are listed. It seems to me BE Pro should do the same. Otherwise, the bit
    about "peer-to-peer" support is pretty much marketing hype.

    Athena

  7. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    John F wrote:
    > Whether that was to lower the price of the regular version or charge more
    > for the Pro version is up for each person to decide...

    From what I can see in the manual, it was to charge more for features that
    used to be in the regular version.

    Athena

  8. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    > > You can NOT control the tape drive from a remote machine in any version.
    > >

    > Then how can you do a true disaster recovery on a remote machine in BE Pro?

    According to my experience (see earlier thread), and information from
    Veritas, you can't. I was told (this is a quote from them)
    "The desktop product is not designed to protect a remote computers
    operating system."

    They further went on to say, I should buy the "NT/2000 enterprise" version,
    which is even more expensive.

    Your DOS bootdisk is a nice solution in my opinion. Unfortunatley, it is
    very difficult to setup.

    After my own unfortunate experience (I have BE Pro) at trying to restore a
    failed remote network pc following a harddisk failure, I purchased Drive
    Image 4.0 from Powerquest (www.powerquest.com). It runs in dos-mode and
    take a sector image of the disk. Hence you are guaranteed to be able to
    restore everything, just like it was at the time of the backup. If you
    want to do that over a network though, you have to buy the DI Pro version.
    But I still like the idea that it is an exact image.

    Norton Ghost 2001 and Powerquest Drive Image are both highly respected
    solutions. I didn't realize that Ghost would put the network drivers in
    their dos diskette. Sounds like something Drive Image should add.

    I think BackupExec is fine for file backups, but seems weaker to me for
    full operating system/hard disk failures.

    > It seems to me BE Pro should do the same. Otherwise, the bit
    > about "peer-to-peer" support is pretty much marketing hype.

    Obviously, the details are in their fine print...

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  9. Re: What do you get extra in Backup Pro?

    I was trying to make a Ghost 2001 boot disk with Network driver support...

    I was surprised to find they don't have drivers for my "on-board Intel"
    network "card".

    And I was even more surprised to see that Ghost has problems with the
    Netgear card that is on my wife's computer.

    I am still struggling with the matter of my own computer, before I worry
    about backing up my wife's computer.

    "John F" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1510287eb3ac3be098969e@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > > You can NOT control the tape drive from a remote machine in any

    version.

    > > Then how can you do a true disaster recovery on a remote machine in BE

    Pro?

    > According to my experience (see earlier thread), and information from
    > Veritas, you can't. I was told (this is a quote from them)
    > "The desktop product is not designed to protect a remote computers
    > operating system."
    >
    > They further went on to say, I should buy the "NT/2000 enterprise"

    version,
    > which is even more expensive.
    >
    > Your DOS bootdisk is a nice solution in my opinion. Unfortunatley, it is
    > very difficult to setup.
    >
    > After my own unfortunate experience (I have BE Pro) at trying to restore a
    > failed remote network pc following a harddisk failure, I purchased Drive
    > Image 4.0 from Powerquest (www.powerquest.com). It runs in dos-mode and
    > take a sector image of the disk. Hence you are guaranteed to be able to
    > restore everything, just like it was at the time of the backup. If you
    > want to do that over a network though, you have to buy the DI Pro version.
    > But I still like the idea that it is an exact image.
    >
    > Norton Ghost 2001 and Powerquest Drive Image are both highly respected
    > solutions. I didn't realize that Ghost would put the network drivers in
    > their dos diskette. Sounds like something Drive Image should add.
    >
    > I think BackupExec is fine for file backups, but seems weaker to me for
    > full operating system/hard disk failures.
    >
    > > It seems to me BE Pro should do the same. Otherwise, the bit
    > > about "peer-to-peer" support is pretty much marketing hype.

    > Obviously, the details are in their fine print...
    >
    > John
    > jrfree at bigfoot dot com

+ Reply to Thread