4 GB Limitation??? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on 4 GB Limitation??? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Greetings, I just purchased this software to use on my home network (consisting of 3 Desktops and a laptop all running Win98). To my display, I quickly ran into the 4GB Backup/Restore limitation. This makes the software completely impractical (from ...

  1. 4 GB Limitation???

    Greetings,

    I just purchased this software to use on my home network (consisting of 3
    Desktops and a laptop all running Win98). To my display, I quickly ran into
    the 4GB Backup/Restore limitation. This makes the software completely impractical
    (from my point of view). I'm attempting to backup to a 30GB Hard drive on
    a P3-533 machine. My intention was to do complete backups of each machine
    on the network, each as a seperate job and them schedule incremental backups
    for each machine on different nights of the week. The 4 GB limitation makes
    this impossible as all three machines have well over 4GB of data on them
    (I have single sub-directories with over 4GB in them).

    Am I doing something wrong or this a hard-limitation that I'm simply stuck
    with? I can't imagine any professional software in this price range having
    such a limitation (of course it could be an OS limitation and I'm just embarrassing
    myself).

    Thanks for any feedback,

    Greg Bradburn.

  2. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    That isn't a Backup Exec limitation. It is a Windows file size limitation. To do what you want, you'll have to get a program like Drive Image 4 (or Pro version, I believe, to function over a network) which images the drive rather than create a backup file.
    --
    Patty
    MS MVP for Desktop Systems

    "Greg Bradburn" wrote in message news:3a805247$1@hronntp01....

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I just purchased this software to use on my home network (consisting of 3
    > Desktops and a laptop all running Win98). To my display, I quickly ran into
    > the 4GB Backup/Restore limitation. This makes the software completely impractical
    > (from my point of view). I'm attempting to backup to a 30GB Hard drive on
    > a P3-533 machine. My intention was to do complete backups of each machine
    > on the network, each as a seperate job and them schedule incremental backups
    > for each machine on different nights of the week. The 4 GB limitation makes
    > this impossible as all three machines have well over 4GB of data on them
    > (I have single sub-directories with over 4GB in them).
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong or this a hard-limitation that I'm simply stuck
    > with? I can't imagine any professional software in this price range having
    > such a limitation (of course it could be an OS limitation and I'm just embarrassing
    > myself).
    >
    > Thanks for any feedback,
    >
    > Greg Bradburn.

  3. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    Or what I did was create multiple jobs to back up each machine. In this way all the data get backed up, though with three or four files. I doubt it really takes any longer. And though it is a little more work, it is easy enough to find a few folders to
    include or exclude to create each set.

    Patty MacDuffie wrote:

    > That isn't a Backup Exec limitation. It is a Windows file size limitation. To do what you want, you'll have to get a program like Drive Image 4 (or Pro version, I believe, to function over a network) which images the drive rather than create a backup file.
    > --
    > Patty
    > MS MVP for Desktop Systems
    >
    > "Greg Bradburn" wrote in message news:3a805247$1@hronntp01....
    > >
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > I just purchased this software to use on my home network (consisting of 3
    > > Desktops and a laptop all running Win98). To my display, I quickly ran into
    > > the 4GB Backup/Restore limitation. This makes the software completely impractical
    > > (from my point of view). I'm attempting to backup to a 30GB Hard drive on
    > > a P3-533 machine. My intention was to do complete backups of each machine
    > > on the network, each as a seperate job and them schedule incremental backups
    > > for each machine on different nights of the week. The 4 GB limitation makes
    > > this impossible as all three machines have well over 4GB of data on them
    > > (I have single sub-directories with over 4GB in them).
    > >
    > > Am I doing something wrong or this a hard-limitation that I'm simply stuck
    > > with? I can't imagine any professional software in this price range having
    > > such a limitation (of course it could be an OS limitation and I'm just embarrassing
    > > myself).
    > >
    > > Thanks for any feedback,
    > >
    > > Greg Bradburn.

  4. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    Make a separate tape for big stuff like them Napster songs you downloaded
    and pictures. Do you really need to back up stuff that would be a no brainer
    to reinstall in a disaster such as Quake 3 or Half Like or other games? Some
    of them take up a lot of space. It is also very easy to reinstall other
    stuff. Why worry about it. Just back up what you can on the tapes, stuff
    that's important for disaster recovery.
    John R.

    > > > Greetings,
    > > >
    > > > I just purchased this software to use on my home network (consisting

    of 3
    > > > Desktops and a laptop all running Win98). To my display, I quickly ran

    into
    > > > the 4GB Backup/Restore limitation. This makes the software completely

    impractical
    > > > (from my point of view). I'm attempting to backup to a 30GB Hard drive

    on
    > > > a P3-533 machine. My intention was to do complete backups of each

    machine
    > > > on the network, each as a seperate job and them schedule incremental

    backups
    > > > for each machine on different nights of the week. The 4 GB limitation

    makes
    > > > this impossible as all three machines have well over 4GB of data on

    them
    > > > (I have single sub-directories with over 4GB in them).
    > > >
    > > > Am I doing something wrong or this a hard-limitation that I'm simply

    stuck
    > > > with? I can't imagine any professional software in this price range

    having
    > > > such a limitation (of course it could be an OS limitation and I'm just

    embarrassing
    > > > myself).
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any feedback,
    > > >
    > > > Greg Bradburn.

  5. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    "Greg Bradburn" wrote:

    >Greetings,
    >
    >I just purchased this software to use on my home network (consisting of

    3
    >Desktops and a laptop all running Win98). To my display, I quickly ran into
    >the 4GB Backup/Restore limitation. This makes the software completely impractical
    >(from my point of view). I'm attempting to backup to a 30GB Hard drive on
    >a P3-533 machine. My intention was to do complete backups of each machine
    >on the network, each as a seperate job and them schedule incremental backups
    >for each machine on different nights of the week. The 4 GB limitation makes
    >this impossible as all three machines have well over 4GB of data on them
    >(I have single sub-directories with over 4GB in them).
    >
    >Am I doing something wrong or this a hard-limitation that I'm simply stuck
    >with? I can't imagine any professional software in this price range having
    >such a limitation (of course it could be an OS limitation and I'm just embarrassing
    >myself).
    >
    >Thanks for any feedback,
    >
    >Greg Bradburn.

    Are you sure you understand the filesize limitation? It's not
    the size of the disk or the backup that's limited to 4GB, but
    the size of a . You can have a single backup with
    more than 4 GB (I just looked at one of mine that's 5.5 GB),
    but you can't back up any file that's bigger than 4 GB. Isn't
    anyone at Veritas looking at these posts, so that we all don't
    just exchange misinformation? Or am I also misinformed about
    the file-size limit?

  6. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    But the backup is a single file, PL. Or so I thought. It is a QIC file, right? The 4 GB limitation is for a single file, and it is a limitation of FAT and FAT32. NTFS does not have this limitation.
    --
    Patty
    MS MVP for Desktop Systems

    "P L Bein" wrote in message news:3aa5afba$1@hronntp01....

    > "Greg Bradburn" wrote:
    > >
    > >Greetings,
    > >
    > >I just purchased this software to use on my home network (consisting of

    > 3
    > >Desktops and a laptop all running Win98). To my display, I quickly ran into
    > >the 4GB Backup/Restore limitation. This makes the software completely impractical
    > >(from my point of view). I'm attempting to backup to a 30GB Hard drive on
    > >a P3-533 machine. My intention was to do complete backups of each machine
    > >on the network, each as a seperate job and them schedule incremental backups
    > >for each machine on different nights of the week. The 4 GB limitation makes
    > >this impossible as all three machines have well over 4GB of data on them
    > >(I have single sub-directories with over 4GB in them).
    > >
    > >Am I doing something wrong or this a hard-limitation that I'm simply stuck
    > >with? I can't imagine any professional software in this price range having
    > >such a limitation (of course it could be an OS limitation and I'm just embarrassing
    > >myself).
    > >
    > >Thanks for any feedback,
    > >
    > >Greg Bradburn.
    > >

    > Are you sure you understand the filesize limitation? It's not
    > the size of the disk or the backup that's limited to 4GB, but
    > the size of a . You can have a single backup with
    > more than 4 GB (I just looked at one of mine that's 5.5 GB),
    > but you can't back up any file that's bigger than 4 GB. Isn't
    > anyone at Veritas looking at these posts, so that we all don't
    > just exchange misinformation? Or am I also misinformed about
    > the file-size limit?

  7. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    lbein@c3smail.monmouth.army.mil says...

    > Isn't
    > anyone at Veritas looking at these posts, so that we all don't
    > just exchange misinformation? Or am I also misinformed about
    > the file-size limit?

    Veritas provides these newsgroups for it's customers, but I've never seen
    anyone from Veritas actually post an answer/opinion/remark (unfortunately).

    Before it became BE by Veritas, BE by Seagate had a very good online
    support forum.

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  8. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    Hi Greg,
    Sorry for being so ignorant, but what 4GB limit?
    I know there is a compression limit when using Backup Plus of 4GB because
    of the limit with the ZIP archiving system (4GB and 65535 files, I think),
    but I wasn't aware of this limit in BE4.5.
    Where did you read this?
    Is this a single 4GB file limit?

    Regards,
    Susi.

  9. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    Susan,
    The 4GB file size limit has nothing to do with Backup Exec Desktop Pro
    (BEDP) or any backup software for that matter. Every partition file system
    (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, or Ext2) has limits to how large a single file can be
    supported. When BEDP or any backup software is used to make a backup (file)
    to a hard drive, then the size limit of that file is established by the
    partition file system on the hard drive. The partition file system is
    dependant on what operating system software is being used. The following is
    but some of the limitations:

    Win3X = FAT = 2GB limit
    Win95, 95A = FAT = 2GB limit
    Win95B, Win98, Win98SE, WinME = FAT32 = 4GB limit
    Note: Win95B, Win98, & Win98SE can also use FAT partitions
    WinNT, Win2K = NTFS = no size limit (limited by the size of the partition)
    Note: WinNT & Win2K can also use FAT or FAT32 partitions.
    Linux = Ext2 = 2GB limit

    Still want to backup to a hard drive? Make backup files no larger than can
    be supported by the partition file system on the hard drive.

    Good Luck
    Jeffrey French

    "Susan Woods" wrote in message

    > Hi Greg,
    > Sorry for being so ignorant, but what 4GB limit?
    > I know there is a compression limit when using Backup Plus of 4GB because
    > of the limit with the ZIP archiving system (4GB and 65535 files, I think),
    > but I wasn't aware of this limit in BE4.5.
    > Where did you read this?
    > Is this a single 4GB file limit?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Susi.

  10. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    "Jeffrey French" wrote:
    >Susan,
    >The 4GB file size limit has nothing to do with Backup Exec Desktop Pro

    >but some of the limitations:
    >
    >Win3X = FAT = 2GB limit
    >Win95, 95A = FAT = 2GB limit
    >Win95B, Win98, Win98SE, WinME = FAT32 = 4GB limit
    >Note: Win95B, Win98, & Win98SE can also use FAT partitions
    >WinNT, Win2K = NTFS = no size limit (limited by the size of the partition)
    >Note: WinNT & Win2K can also use FAT or FAT32 partitions.
    >Linux = Ext2 = 2GB limit

    Thanks Jeffrey. I had no idea where this had come from. I use Win2K with
    NTFS so had not come across that limit. That explains it.

    Many thanks.
    Sue.

  11. Re: 4 GB Limitation???

    The 4 gig limit is indeed an OS issue, and other backup software gets around
    it by splitting the disk file into smaller pieces. Most use 650 megs for a
    CD backup set and add a number to each file. On the other hand I've been
    testing backup software from various manufacturers and found that BE does a
    very good job of restoring the entire machine in case of a total hard disk
    failure, so I'm sticking with it.

    I also want the convienence of an unattended backup of the entire machine
    with the security of a hard drive instead of tape, so I'm using 40gig Maxtor
    IDE drives formatted with NTFS. These drives are very inexpensive and can
    be used with removable drive adapters so I can plug the drive in, backup to
    it, and remove it for off-site storage easily.

    This means that the main PC must be able to read an NTFS volume, so I've
    upgraded that unit to Windows 2000 Professional. I still have my internal
    drives formatted with FAT32 in case I ever have to resort to the DOS boot
    disk to fix something, but the removables all are formatted with NTFS.
    Since the main PC is network accessable from other PC's in my home the NTFS
    drive is sharable, and the WIN95 and 98 machines can use it as a backup
    device.

    The cool thing about removable IDE drive adapters (about 30 bucks from
    Insight) is that you can easily simulate a catastrophic drive failure
    without actually having one. You can format one of the removables and do a
    full backup of the internal PC's drives to it, then disconnect the internals
    from the motherboard by unplugging the primary IDE controller cable. Even
    though the removable in on IDE channel 2, it is recognized as an empty C:
    drive with a big .QIC file on it. Reinstalling Win2K (while leaving the
    file system intact) lets you install nothing but BackupExec and restore the
    QIC disk file. By using this test setup I was able to discover that the
    other backup software I was using did a poor job of restoring the system
    state, and the BE brought the machine back to a usable state. You still
    have to install all the hardware drivers (nics, ports, printers, cd etc.)
    manually before doing the restore but it beats 4 days of reinstalling
    applications.

    Hopefully Veritas will add the capability of spanning large backup files
    across the FAT/FAT32 file limit, but until they do NTFS provides a workable
    solution.

    Hope it helps,

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread