Overwrite Tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Overwrite Tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep from overwriting the current tape. I do a complete backup to a 12gb tape and about 6gb gets written to tape. Then I set the program to automatically ...

  1. Overwrite Tape

    I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep from overwriting
    the current tape. I do a complete backup to a 12gb tape and about
    6gb gets written to tape. Then I set the program to automatically
    do nightly increimental backup's. These backups are about 100 - 200 mb
    per night.

    If the program gets to the end of the tape because it is full, it renames
    the tape to
    backupwhatever 0001 and then overwrites all of it's previous
    contents. So I have then lost all of that's month's back up.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Overwrite Tape

    i would give tech support a call, because backup exec should not be renaming
    a tape everytime it written to. what model tape drive are you using?

    "Mike" wrote:

    >I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep from overwriting
    >the current tape. I do a complete backup to a 12gb tape and about
    >6gb gets written to tape. Then I set the program to automatically
    >do nightly increimental backup's. These backups are about 100 - 200 mb
    >per night.
    >
    >If the program gets to the end of the tape because it is full, it renames
    >the tape to
    >backupwhatever 0001 and then overwrites all of it's previous
    >contents. So I have then lost all of that's month's back up.
    >Any suggestions?
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Overwrite Tape

    It is not overwriting the tape every night. I do an incremental backup nightly.
    Only when one of them finally comes to the end of the tape does it write
    over the old tape, renaming it to tape1 0001 from tape 1.
    I have a Segate 12/24 gig tape drive.

    "rerun" wrote:

    >i would give tech support a call, because backup exec should not be renaming
    >a tape everytime it written to. what model tape drive are you using?
    >
    >"Mike" wrote:
    >>
    >>I can't for the life of me figure out how to keep from overwriting
    >>the current tape. I do a complete backup to a 12gb tape and about
    >>6gb gets written to tape. Then I set the program to automatically
    >>do nightly increimental backup's. These backups are about 100 - 200 mb
    >>per night.
    >>
    >>If the program gets to the end of the tape because it is full, it renames
    >>the tape to
    >>backupwhatever 0001 and then overwrites all of it's previous
    >>contents. So I have then lost all of that's month's back up.
    >>Any suggestions?
    >>Thanks

+ Reply to Thread