New user questions: Backup Exec Desktop Pro - Win NT 4.0 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on New user questions: Backup Exec Desktop Pro - Win NT 4.0 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I just downloaded Backup Exec Desktop Pro for my Win NT 4.0/Iomega 2 gig SCSI Jaz computer, and have a few questions: 1. The PDF manual for Backup Exec Desktop Pro for NT doesn't seem to be available online. The ...

  1. New user questions: Backup Exec Desktop Pro - Win NT 4.0

    I just downloaded Backup Exec Desktop Pro for my Win NT 4.0/Iomega 2 gig SCSI
    Jaz computer, and have a few questions:

    1. The PDF manual for Backup Exec Desktop Pro for NT doesn't seem to be
    available online. The link is dead. Feel free to e-mail me the manual,
    if that's convenient.

    2. I'm using an ancient version of NT 4.0 with patch 6 downloaded from Microsoft.
    When Backup Exec created the disaster recovery set, it wanted my original,
    ancient NT CD, and didn't see any of the CAB files already on Drive D. Does
    that mean that, in the event of an emergency restore, I'd get all my current
    files on top of the ancient copy of NT? Or would it also restore the new
    patch level while restoring the files from the Jaz drive?

  2. Re: New user questions: Backup Exec Desktop Pro - Win NT 4.0

    FYI - the iomega Jazz 2gb scsi drive is not supported as a backup device.

    also, here is the link to the manual:
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnot...PRO/231935.htm

    "Tim Adams" wrote:

    >I just downloaded Backup Exec Desktop Pro for my Win NT 4.0/Iomega 2 gig

    SCSI
    >Jaz computer, and have a few questions:
    >
    >1. The PDF manual for Backup Exec Desktop Pro for NT doesn't seem to be
    >available online. The link is dead. Feel free to e-mail me the manual,
    >if that's convenient.
    >
    >2. I'm using an ancient version of NT 4.0 with patch 6 downloaded from

    Microsoft.
    > When Backup Exec created the disaster recovery set, it wanted my original,
    >ancient NT CD, and didn't see any of the CAB files already on Drive D.

    Does
    >that mean that, in the event of an emergency restore, I'd get all my current
    >files on top of the ancient copy of NT? Or would it also restore the new
    >patch level while restoring the files from the Jaz drive?

  3. Re: New user questions: Backup Exec Desktop Pro - Win NT 4.0

    "rerun" wrote:

    >FYI - the iomega Jazz 2gb scsi drive is not supported as a backup device.

    If that's true, you might want to share that information with the Veritas
    customer service team that handles pre-sales calls. When I saw that the
    Jaz 2gb SCSI drive has "file system support,"
    - at http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddPr...BEDSKTPPRO.htm - I called
    Veritas to see if this meant that I wouldn't be able to use the Jaz with
    Backup Exec Desktop Pro. The customer service staffer told me that he has
    a Jaz drive at home, and that Backup Exec works with it flawlessly.

    I wouldn't have purchased Backup Exec if I had been told that it isn't supported.
    Fortunately, it seems to be working well so far.

    I did find the manual online. However, I didn't find the answer to my question:
    in creating the Disaster Recovery set, what do I do about the difference
    between the files on the original NT disks and the patch level files? Do
    I use the original NT disks and then apply the patch after the restore is
    complete? Or is there a way of feeding in the patched CAB files while the
    Disaster Recovery disks are created?

    >also, here is the link to the manual:
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnot...PRO/231935.htm
    >
    >"Tim Adams" wrote:
    >>
    >>I just downloaded Backup Exec Desktop Pro for my Win NT 4.0/Iomega 2 gig

    >SCSI
    >>Jaz computer, and have a few questions:
    >>
    >>1. The PDF manual for Backup Exec Desktop Pro for NT doesn't seem to be
    >>available online. The link is dead. Feel free to e-mail me the manual,
    >>if that's convenient.
    >>
    >>2. I'm using an ancient version of NT 4.0 with patch 6 downloaded from

    >Microsoft.
    >> When Backup Exec created the disaster recovery set, it wanted my original,
    >>ancient NT CD, and didn't see any of the CAB files already on Drive D.

    >Does
    >>that mean that, in the event of an emergency restore, I'd get all my current
    >>files on top of the ancient copy of NT? Or would it also restore the new
    >>patch level while restoring the files from the Jaz drive?

+ Reply to Thread