Disaster Recovery question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery question - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does anyone know if there is some way to coerce BE to allow a restore from (say) a second hard disk. I back up onto my second hard drive, so if the C drive crashes, it'd be nice to simply ...

  1. Disaster Recovery question

    Does anyone know if there is some way to coerce BE to allow a restore from
    (say) a second hard disk. I back up onto my second hard drive, so if the C
    drive crashes, it'd be nice to simply stick the boot disk in and point it to
    the correct backup set on the D drive.

    Can this be done?

    Mark.

    --

    P.S. Remove the word NOSPAM from the front of my email address when
    replying.

  2. Re: Disaster Recovery question

    If you do the backup to a file instead of to a backup device, you can then
    do the restore from there, too. It will back up in the form of a QIC file
    though, making it impossible to extract individual files through any means
    other than Backup Exec.

    Herb

    "Mark Virtue" wrote in message
    > Does anyone know if there is some way to coerce BE to allow a restore from
    > (say) a second hard disk. I back up onto my second hard drive, so if the

    > drive crashes, it'd be nice to simply stick the boot disk in and point it

    > the correct backup set on the D drive.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    >
    > P.S. Remove the word NOSPAM from the front of my email address when
    > replying.

  3. Re: Disaster Recovery question

    I think you misunderstood the question. Unfortunately, it is not
    possible to perform an emergency recovery from a .QIC file based
    backup, even with the 4.5 version. You still need a supported backup
    device.

    "Herb Crites" wrote:

    >If you do the backup to a file instead of to a backup device, you can then
    >do the restore from there, too. It will back up in the form of a QIC file
    >though, making it impossible to extract individual files through any means
    >other than Backup Exec.
    >
    >Herb
    >
    >"Mark Virtue" wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know if there is some way to coerce BE to allow a restore from
    >> (say) a second hard disk. I back up onto my second hard drive, so if the

    >> drive crashes, it'd be nice to simply stick the boot disk in and point it

    >> the correct backup set on the D drive.
    >>
    >> Can this be done?

    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  4. Re: Disaster Recovery question

    there is no way to do this with the backup exec desktop products.

    "Mark Virtue" wrote:
    >Does anyone know if there is some way to coerce BE to allow a restore from
    >(say) a second hard disk. I back up onto my second hard drive, so if the

    >drive crashes, it'd be nice to simply stick the boot disk in and point it

    >the correct backup set on the D drive.
    >
    >Can this be done?
    >
    >Mark.
    >
    >--
    >
    >P.S. Remove the word NOSPAM from the front of my email address when
    >replying.

  5. Re: Disaster Recovery question

    Then how does one go about recovery in this situation because I do the same
    thing? Are these the steps that one would need to follow to restore the
    crashed C drive back to normal:
    A.) Reinstall Win98 after formatting the C drive
    B.) Install BE software
    C.) Do a complete restore from the file which resides safely on the other
    "storage" drive.

    With hard drives becoming so cheap these days I think we will see more
    backups to another hard drive as an easy alternative to using a slow tape.
    Comments appreciated.
    John R.

    "Colin Sewell" wrote in message
    > I think you misunderstood the question. Unfortunately, it is not
    > possible to perform an emergency recovery from a .QIC file based
    > backup, even with the 4.5 version. You still need a supported backup
    > device.

  6. Re: Disaster Recovery question

    In article <3a86ed01$1@hronntp01.>, nospam@tampabay.rr.com says...
    > Then how does one go about recovery in this situation because I do the same
    > thing? Are these the steps that one would need to follow to restore the
    > crashed C drive back to normal:
    > A.) Reinstall Win98 after formatting the C drive
    > B.) Install BE software
    > C.) Do a complete restore from the file which resides safely on the other
    > "storage" drive.
    >
    > With hard drives becoming so cheap these days I think we will see more
    > backups to another hard drive as an easy alternative to using a slow tape.
    > Comments appreciated.
    > John R.

    For you scenario above, you should be using your Disaster Recovery
    diskettes, and not need to do steps A or B. You restore from the DOS
    diskettes and the tape drive.

    If you're trying to do a DR restore onto a running system, my prediction
    (from actual experience) is that it won't work, files are skipped because
    they're open and other misc error messages.)

    Re backing up to a spare hard drive, look at Symantec's Ghost or
    PowerQuest's DriveImage. Both products seem to be the leaders of the pack
    for today's technology.

    john

    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  7. Re: Disaster Recovery question

    John, I agree that it appears that an Emergency recovery can not be done
    with the emergency floppies and tape although I am not sure why. Maybe those
    floppies cause prompts that say "Please insert your emergency tape" or
    something.
    Well this is on a machine that has no tape backup device. I still maintain a
    complete restore can be done but is more work which involves steps A & B.
    John you were trying to restore TO a remote machine. I would be restoring
    FROM a remote machine and not using what they call Disaster Recovery but
    simply restoring a file over writing everything including the Registry.
    Won't that work? Your comments are appreciated.
    Jim

    "John F" wrote in message
    news:MPG.14f0ee34358e47d098968b@news.support.verit as.com...
    > In article <3a86ed01$1@hronntp01.>, nospam@tampabay.rr.com says...
    > > Then how does one go about recovery in this situation because I do the

    same
    > > thing? Are these the steps that one would need to follow to restore the
    > > crashed C drive back to normal:
    > > A.) Reinstall Win98 after formatting the C drive
    > > B.) Install BE software
    > > C.) Do a complete restore from the file which resides safely on the

    other
    > > "storage" drive.

+ Reply to Thread