Re: Tape Drives and Lies - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Re: Tape Drives and Lies - Veritas Backup Exec ; I find the limited tape drive support a big disappointment in the new software. I can only guess that the list of supported devices has been trimmed to reflect the devices future Windows OS versions will support--i.e. simply far fewer ...

  1. Re: Tape Drives and Lies

    I find the limited tape drive support a big disappointment in the new software.
    I can only guess that the list of supported devices has been trimmed to reflect
    the devices future Windows OS versions will support--i.e. simply far fewer
    devices. After all, Windows ME is virtually here. And its successors wil
    be Win2000 based.

    Windows ME itself will pick up drivers from many devices if installed over
    Windows 98 (but that won't help re Veritas Backup Desktop Ed. to be clear).
    However, ME will not load drivers for some such devices if done as a fresh
    install, according to one published report. This suggests that some device
    support is falling, falling away overall.

    Is the price of future OS stability is a potential blow-out of some backup
    hardware investments? Time for a hardware shopping spree perhaps!

    I hope (that Veritas plans to support more devices, though, of its own accord
    re their backup product.

    Keith E. Risler

    "James H. Hansen" wrote:
    >Well 4.5 is finally here. Useless for me and my clients, though. Sony

    SDT
    >4000, SDT 5000 and SDT 5200 drives are not supported. OnStream drives
    >aren't even listed as not supported. I expect the highly selective list

    of
    >drives that are supported won't please many folks.

  2. Re: Tape Drives and Lies

    I think it is more likely that the drives have not yet been tested in Win
    2000.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup.
    "Keith E. Risler" wrote in message

    > I find the limited tape drive support a big disappointment in the new

    software.
    > I can only guess that the list of supported devices has been trimmed to

    reflect
    > the devices future Windows OS versions will support--i.e. simply far fewer
    > devices. After all, Windows ME is virtually here. And its successors wil
    > be Win2000 based.
    >
    > Windows ME itself will pick up drivers from many devices if installed over
    > Windows 98 (but that won't help re Veritas Backup Desktop Ed. to be

    clear).
    > However, ME will not load drivers for some such devices if done as a fresh
    > install, according to one published report. This suggests that some device
    > support is falling, falling away overall.
    >
    > Is the price of future OS stability is a potential blow-out of some backup
    > hardware investments? Time for a hardware shopping spree perhaps!
    >
    > I hope (that Veritas plans to support more devices, though, of its own

    accord
    > re their backup product.
    >
    > Keith E. Risler
    >
    > "James H. Hansen" wrote:
    > >Well 4.5 is finally here. Useless for me and my clients, though. Sony

    > SDT
    > >4000, SDT 5000 and SDT 5200 drives are not supported. OnStream drives
    > >aren't even listed as not supported. I expect the highly selective list

    > of
    > >drives that are supported won't please many folks.

  3. Re: Tape Drives and Lies

    A few days ago I got the following e-mail from Veritas:

    ------------------- Quote -------------------

    Please allow me to provide some further details regarding the OnStream
    devices. We did place a bulletin on our website regarding the decision on
    these drives. We offered customers with problems to upgrade to version
    4.2.1. Due to the severity of the issues and no assistance from OnStream
    we have elected not to continue to support their drives. We believed that
    our customers data is more valuable then running the risk of supporting
    these drives. As for the Sony drives, in later versions we are removing
    more legacy devices then in the past. You will find that most Qic drives
    are also no longer supported. This is due to lack of vendor support for
    some of these devices. In most cases if we support another similar DDS1
    drive and if we detect the device it should work. However, since we have
    not requalfiied the drive in later versions of software you could be taking
    a risk on data integrity.

    I apologize for you not being notified on the decision on the OnStream
    devices we tried to catch most of our recorded customers that called
    regarding the issues. You are probably aware that we are also updating our
    device support list on a regular basis now instead of quarterly. I you wish
    I will be more then happy to forward your request to development for future
    consideration. Obviously this will not be for the OnStream drives.

    ------------------- End quote -------------------

    I am curious about the comments regarding OnStream as both UltraBac and
    Dantz seem to be able to support their drives. Is OnStream discriminating
    against Veritas?

    From the "As for the Sony drives, in later versions we are removing more
    legacy devices then in the past" comment I take it that the SDT-5000 is
    considered "legacy" and not worthy of support.

    I certainly don't expect them to support legacy devices forever -- without
    batting an eye I just told my last client with a Jumbo 350 to ditch it when
    she upgraded to Win98 -- but the SDT-5000 and other DDS-1 drives are still
    perfectly adequate for many clients with only one desktop or with two
    desktop systems on a peer-to-peer LAN and I can't justify telling them to
    spend an extra $600 on a new drive when they upgrade their system. These
    are clients that wince when I tell them their new desktop is goint to cost
    over $1500 because $600 systems aren't designed for the office.

    I suspect the issue is more that large corporate customers are more
    important than the small businesses that are my bread and butter.

    --
    ....James H. Hansen
    -- anti-spam: change hal to attglobal in my address

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > I think it is more likely that the drives have not yet been tested in Win
    > 2000.
    >

    > --
    > Please post your response to the newsgroup.
    > "Keith E. Risler" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I find the limited tape drive support a big disappointment in the new

    > software.
    > > I can only guess that the list of supported devices has been trimmed to

    > reflect
    > > the devices future Windows OS versions will support--i.e. simply far

    fewer
    > > devices. After all, Windows ME is virtually here. And its successors wil
    > > be Win2000 based.
    > >
    > > Windows ME itself will pick up drivers from many devices if installed

    over
    > > Windows 98 (but that won't help re Veritas Backup Desktop Ed. to be

    > clear).
    > > However, ME will not load drivers for some such devices if done as a

    fresh
    > > install, according to one published report. This suggests that some

    device
    > > support is falling, falling away overall.
    > >
    > > Is the price of future OS stability is a potential blow-out of some

    backup
    > > hardware investments? Time for a hardware shopping spree perhaps!
    > >
    > > I hope (that Veritas plans to support more devices, though, of its own

    > accord
    > > re their backup product.
    > >
    > > Keith E. Risler
    > >
    > > "James H. Hansen" wrote:
    > > >Well 4.5 is finally here. Useless for me and my clients, though. Sony

    > > SDT
    > > >4000, SDT 5000 and SDT 5200 drives are not supported. OnStream drives
    > > >aren't even listed as not supported. I expect the highly selective

    list
    > > of
    > > >drives that are supported won't please many folks.

  4. Re: Tape Drives and Lies

    And what about Travern, there are tons of these out there?

    I believe that the Federal Trade commission should be asked to investigate
    this as a possible guise for causing people to buy more tape drives.

    --
    "James H. Hansen" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > > devices. After all, Windows ME is virtually here. And its successors

    wil
    > > > be Win2000 based.
    > > >
    > > > Windows ME itself will pick up drivers from many devices if installed

    > over
    > > > Windows 98 (but that won't help re Veritas Backup Desktop Ed. to be

    > > clear).
    > > > However, ME will not load drivers for some such devices if done as a

    > fresh
    > > > install, according to one published report. This suggests that some

    > device
    > > > support is falling, falling away overall.
    > > >
    > > > Is the price of future OS stability is a potential blow-out of some

    > backup
    > > > hardware investments? Time for a hardware shopping spree perhaps!
    > > >
    > > > I hope (that Veritas plans to support more devices, though, of its own

+ Reply to Thread