backward scrolling with more - Unix

This is a discussion on backward scrolling with more - Unix ; Hi, I couldn't find it in: man more. How do I scroll back (a line|a screen) when using "more" ?...

  1. backward scrolling with more

    Hi,

    I couldn't find it in: man more.
    How do I scroll back (a line|a screen) when using "more" ?

  2. Re: backward scrolling with more

    On Mon, 09 Jul 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.questions, in article
    <1183985287.389352.174520@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>, Tom Gur wrote:

    >I couldn't find it in: man more.
    >How do I scroll back (a line|a screen) when using "more" ?

    You probably don't. For that, you use 'less'

    [compton ~]$ whatis more less
    more (1) - file perusal filter for crt viewing
    less (1) - opposite of more
    [compton ~]$

    Whether your unidentified UNIX has such a command is another question.
    Discuss this with your system administrator.

    Old guy

  3. Re: backward scrolling with more

    Tom Gur wrote:

    > I couldn't find it in: man more.
    > How do I scroll back (a line|a screen) when using "more" ?

    If you have a POSIX-conforming version of "more" then either b
    or Control-B should scroll back one screen, and k should scroll
    back one line.

    Older versions of more might not support these commands.

    --
    Geoff Clare

+ Reply to Thread