I need a UNIX for really old hardware - Unix

This is a discussion on I need a UNIX for really old hardware - Unix ; Hello, I need help finding a good UNIX-like for my computer. It needs to be open-source and free. My computer has 128mb of RAM, a 4gb hard disk, a CD-ROM drive, a floppy drive, and it's hooked up to DSL ...

  1. I need a UNIX for really old hardware

    Hello, I need help finding a good UNIX-like for my computer. It needs
    to be open-source and free. My computer has 128mb of RAM, a 4gb hard
    disk, a CD-ROM drive, a floppy drive, and it's hooked up to DSL by
    Ethernet cable. I'm looking for something that's true to UNIX, like a
    BSD variant or something. I've tried Gnu/Linux but there's only ones
    for really, really old hardware and ones for the latest hardware. I
    want something that can support some of the new hardware I
    have(optical mouse, and flat screen monitor) and runs well on my old
    hardware.

  2. Re: I need a UNIX for really old hardware

    jonathanskinner@linuxmail.org writes:

    > Hello, I need help finding a good UNIX-like for my computer. It needs
    > to be open-source and free. My computer has 128mb of RAM, a 4gb hard
    > disk, a CD-ROM drive, a floppy drive, and it's hooked up to DSL by
    > Ethernet cable. I'm looking for something that's true to UNIX, like a
    > BSD variant or something. I've tried Gnu/Linux but there's only ones
    > for really, really old hardware and ones for the latest hardware. I
    > want something that can support some of the new hardware I
    > have(optical mouse, and flat screen monitor) and runs well on my old
    > hardware.

    You sounds like a FreeBSD evangelist to be!

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ml#NEED-TO-RUN

    128MB is plenty for it, but you toss in wanting to use that mouse,
    suddenly we're talking window managers, and your selection there must
    be careful. fluxbox is pretty light was window managers go though.
    IceWM is another lightweight one but I've never used it.

    Flatpanel monitor should be very easy -- you just need to tell X and
    the window manager to use the native resolution of the monitor.

    If the optical mouse emulates a ps/2, it'll work out of the box.

    Have fun!

    Best REgards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  3. Re: I need a UNIX for really old hardware

    On Jun 20, 8:01 pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > jonathanskin...@linuxmail.org writes:
    > > Hello, I need help finding a good UNIX-like for my computer. It needs
    > > to be open-source and free. My computer has 128mb of RAM, a 4gb hard
    > > disk, a CD-ROM drive, a floppy drive, and it's hooked up to DSL by
    > > Ethernet cable. I'm looking for something that's true to UNIX, like a
    > > BSD variant or something. I've tried Gnu/Linux but there's only ones
    > > for really, really old hardware and ones for the latest hardware. I
    > > want something that can support some of the new hardware I
    > > have(optical mouse, and flat screen monitor) and runs well on my old
    > > hardware.

    > You sounds like a FreeBSD evangelist to be!
    >
    > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...stall.html#NEE...
    >
    > 128MB is plenty for it, but you toss in wanting to use that mouse,
    > suddenly we're talking window managers, and your selection there must
    > be careful. fluxbox is pretty light was window managers go though.
    > IceWM is another lightweight one but I've never used it.
    >
    > Flatpanel monitor should be very easy -- you just need to tell X and
    > the window manager to use the native resolution of the monitor.
    >
    > If the optical mouse emulates a ps/2, it'll work out of the box.
    >
    > Have fun!
    >
    > Best REgards,
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/