Installing a UNIX application on PC - Unix

This is a discussion on Installing a UNIX application on PC - Unix ; Hi, Can someone tell me how I can run a small UNIX executable file on the PC? I keep on getting the standard Windows error message (This application has encountered a problem and needs to close...Please tell Microsoft about this ...

  1. Installing a UNIX application on PC

    Hi,

    Can someone tell me how I can run a small UNIX executable file on the
    PC? I keep on getting the standard Windows error message (This
    application has encountered a problem and needs to close...Please tell
    Microsoft about this problem.....).

    I am running Windows XP Professional, and I just installed .NET
    version 2.0.

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Fabien

  2. Re: Installing a UNIX application on PC

    On 2007-05-26, Fabien wrote:

    > Can someone tell me how I can run a small UNIX executable file on the
    > PC? I keep on getting the standard Windows error message (This
    > application has encountered a problem and needs to close...Please tell
    > Microsoft about this problem.....).

    Put simply, you don't. Unix apps run on Unix, not on Windows.

    Having said that, if you have access to the source code, or it is
    an interpreted script, you _may_ be able to get it up and running
    with one of the Unix compatability layers available for Unix such
    as Interix or Cygwin. That is, however, a job for a programmer -
    it isn't a case of "change this setting in Control Panel."

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

  3. Re: Installing a UNIX application on PC

    On May 27, 2:04 am, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
    > On 2007-05-26, Fabien wrote:
    >

    > > Can someone tell me how I can run a small UNIX executable file on the
    > > PC? I keep on getting the standard Windows error message (This
    > > application has encountered a problem and needs to close...Please tell
    > > Microsoft about this problem.....).

    > Put simply, you don't. Unix apps run on Unix, not on Windows.
    >
    > Having said that, if you have access to the source code, or it is
    > an interpreted script, you _may_ be able to get it up and running
    > with one of the Unix compatability layers available for Unix such
    > as Interix or Cygwin. That is, however, a job for a programmer -
    > it isn't a case of "change this setting in Control Panel."
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Smallshaw
    > andr...@sdf.lonestar.org

    Yeah u cant. you should use CYGWIN for the same.

    God Bless.

    Neil

+ Reply to Thread