    Thanks,
    -Mike

  2. Re: command line copying an audio CD in Linux

    On 2007-05-25, Mike wrote:
    > How do I copy an audio CD from the command line in Linux?
    > My computer has two CD drives.

    I've always done it as a two stage process. Rip the CD to disk
    with cdparanoia and then burn the resulting WAVs with cdrecord.
    This approach gives cdparanoia all the time it needs to circumvent
    any copy protection on the disc - if you attempted to do it in
    realtime you'd probably end up with buffer under runs.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

  3. Re: command line copying an audio CD in Linux

    In article ,
    Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
    >On 2007-05-25, Mike wrote:
    >> How do I copy an audio CD from the command line in Linux?
    >> My computer has two CD drives.

    >I've always done it as a two stage process. Rip the CD to disk
    >with cdparanoia and then burn the resulting WAVs with cdrecord.

    Better use cdda2wav -paranoia

    >This approach gives cdparanoia all the time it needs to circumvent
    >any copy protection on the disc - if you attempted to do it in
    >realtime you'd probably end up with buffer under runs.

    This is a wrong assumption:

    What you call "copy protection" does nto exist for audio CDs.

    Unfortunately, many disk manufacturers create disks that cannot
    be called Audio CDs because they intentionally contain errors
    in the logical structure.

    Cdparanoia is based on a very old cdda2waw source from 1997.
    It never has been updated to use newer and better read code.
    In 2001, even the development for the paranoia code did stop completely.

    For this reason, I did take the important parts from cdparanoia
    (the ones that have been added to the 1997 cdda2wav) and created
    a portable library from it. This was a bigger adventure as the original
    code did compile with GCC and on Linux only.....While porting,
    I did fix several bugs.

    Since 5 years, cddawav is the best solution for reading audio CDs as
    it combines the continued cdda2wav development with the features that
    have in former times been unique to cdparanoia.

    ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni)