How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session - Unix

This is a discussion on How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session - Unix ; Hi: I am now using screen in mlterm,and in one of the windows in the screen session,I ssh to a remote machine,I started a screen session on the remote machine,and tried to c-a c to create another window in the ...

  1. How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session

    Hi:
    I am now using screen in mlterm,and in one of the windows in the
    screen session,I ssh to a remote machine,I started a screen session on
    the remote machine,and tried to c-a c to create another window in the
    screen session of theremote machine, but it turned out that a new
    window was created in the screen session on my machine...

    Is there anyway to do with that?

    Thanks!

    Zhengquan

  2. Re: How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session

    On 2007-05-25, zhengquan wrote:

    > Hi:
    > I am now using screen in mlterm,and in one of the windows in the
    > screen session,I ssh to a remote machine,I started a screen session on
    > the remote machine,and tried to c-a c to create another window in the
    > screen session of theremote machine, but it turned out that a new
    > window was created in the screen session on my machine...
    >
    > Is there anyway to do with that?

    Here's an idea, but I haven't tried it: reconfigure the magic key on
    the second remote machine to something other than C-a (and different
    from any keybinding you need to use on the first remote machine.

    If this works as I suspect, the first screen won't trap the key but
    pass it on to the shell -> ssh -> screen on the second remote.

  3. Re: How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session

    2007-05-25, 04:55(-07), zhengquan:
    > Hi:
    > I am now using screen in mlterm,and in one of the windows in the
    > screen session,I ssh to a remote machine,I started a screen session on
    > the remote machine,and tried to c-a c to create another window in the
    > screen session of theremote machine, but it turned out that a new
    > window was created in the screen session on my machine...
    >
    > Is there anyway to do with that?

    [...]

    C-a C-a c

    You need to double C-a for every command you want to pass to the
    embedded screen. As someone else suggested, you'd better
    configure the other screen with a different escape character
    (screen -e).

    --
    Stéphane

  4. Re: How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session

    2007-05-25, 14:01(+00), Stephane CHAZELAS:
    > 2007-05-25, 04:55(-07), zhengquan:
    >> Hi:
    >> I am now using screen in mlterm,and in one of the windows in the
    >> screen session,I ssh to a remote machine,I started a screen session on
    >> the remote machine,and tried to c-a c to create another window in the
    >> screen session of theremote machine, but it turned out that a new
    >> window was created in the screen session on my machine...
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to do with that?

    > [...]
    >
    > C-a C-a c

    Sorry, C-a a c

    > You need to double C-a for every command you want to pass to the

    use C-a a
    > embedded screen. As someone else suggested, you'd better
    > configure the other screen with a different escape character
    > (screen -e).

    sorry.

    --
    Stéphane

  5. Re: How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session

    On May 25, 8:39 pm, Adam Funk wrote:
    > On 2007-05-25, zhengquan wrote:
    > > Hi:
    > > I am now using screen in mlterm,and in one of the windows in the
    > > screen session,I ssh to a remote machine,I started a screen session on
    > > the remote machine,and tried to c-a c to create another window in the
    > > screen session of theremote machine, but it turned out that a new
    > > window was created in the screen session on my machine...

    > > Is there anyway to do with that?

    > Here's an idea, but I haven't tried it: reconfigure the magic key on
    > the second remote machine to something other than C-a (and different
    > from any keybinding you need to use on the first remote machine.
    >
    > If this works as I suspect, the first screen won't trap the key but
    > pass it on to the shell -> ssh -> screen on the second remote.

    Great Idea, I will see if .screenrc can do that.

  6. Re: How can I use screen in a remote machine in one windows of my screen session

    On May 25, 10:02 pm, Stephane CHAZELAS
    wrote:
    > 2007-05-25, 14:01(+00), Stephane CHAZELAS:
    >
    > > 2007-05-25, 04:55(-07), zhengquan:
    > >> Hi:
    > >> I am now using screen in mlterm,and in one of the windows in the
    > >> screen session,I ssh to a remote machine,I started a screen session on
    > >> the remote machine,and tried to c-a c to create another window in the
    > >> screen session of theremote machine, but it turned out that a new
    > >> window was created in the screen session on my machine...

    > >> Is there anyway to do with that?

    > > [...]

    > > C-a C-a c

    > Sorry, C-a a c
    >
    > > You need to double C-a for every command you want to pass to the

    > use C-a a
    >
    > > embedded screen. As someone else suggested, you'd better
    > > configure the other screen with a different escape character
    > > (screen -e).

    > sorry.
    >
    > --
    > Stéphane