Can I have a window wider than 132 columns? - Unix

This is a discussion on Can I have a window wider than 132 columns? - Unix ; I run a couple of Linux boxes (Gentoo and Ubuntu) and SSH to them via SecureCRT (and on rare occasions, PuTTY) from my Windows XP PC at home. I have a 21" monitor, and plenty of space to stretch out ...

  1. Can I have a window wider than 132 columns?

    I run a couple of Linux boxes (Gentoo and Ubuntu) and SSH to them via
    SecureCRT (and on rare occasions, PuTTY) from my Windows XP PC at home.
    I have a 21" monitor, and plenty of space to stretch out windows.

    Is there a way I can have more than 132 columns displayed in my SSH
    windows? SecureCRT can shrink or widen its "logical columns", but once
    I widen it to 132 columns, the contents of my SSH session no longer
    expand to fill the available space (and the extra wide space in
    SecureCRT goes unused).

    The terminal sessions use bash and a TERM of "vt100", but I can change
    that if necessary.

    Thanks to anyone who can help!

  2. Re: Can I have a window wider than 132 columns?

    In news:f2fq1201rcr@enews2.newsguy.com,
    George Adams wrote:
    > I run a couple of Linux boxes (Gentoo and Ubuntu) and SSH to them via
    > SecureCRT (and on rare occasions, PuTTY) from my Windows XP PC at
    > home. I have a 21" monitor, and plenty of space to stretch out
    > windows.
    >
    > Is there a way I can have more than 132 columns displayed in my SSH
    > windows? SecureCRT can shrink or widen its "logical columns", but
    > once I widen it to 132 columns, the contents of my SSH session no
    > longer expand to fill the available space (and the extra wide space in
    > SecureCRT goes unused).

    I can achieve 173 character width in PuTTY (TERM=xterm) with no loss of
    data.

  3. Re: Can I have a window wider than 132 columns?

    In comp.unix.questions George Adams wrote:
    > I run a couple of Linux boxes (Gentoo and Ubuntu) and SSH to them via
    > SecureCRT (and on rare occasions, PuTTY) from my Windows XP PC at home.
    > I have a 21" monitor, and plenty of space to stretch out windows.

    > Is there a way I can have more than 132 columns displayed in my SSH
    > windows? SecureCRT can shrink or widen its "logical columns", but once
    > I widen it to 132 columns, the contents of my SSH session no longer
    > expand to fill the available space (and the extra wide space in
    > SecureCRT goes unused).

    For whatever reason, SIGWINCH may not be propagated through your session,
    or some applications (such as bash) may need some setting to make them
    respond to it.

    For the first (not propagated), "resize" is often helpful.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net

+ Reply to Thread