restore passwd from backup - Unix

This is a discussion on restore passwd from backup - Unix ; Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect if I did a restore of the /etc/passwd file from a backup? We are running a service on our Linux box that does nightly backups. Are there any other files ...

  1. restore passwd from backup

    Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect if I did a restore of
    the /etc/passwd file from a backup? We are running a service on our
    Linux box that does nightly backups. Are there any other files I
    should back up? Is this a bad idea? Why or why not?

    We have a reason to believe that due to adding a user and modifying
    the user settings in passwd to have root access we no longer can
    access the machine as root nor the new userid over SSH.

    ANY insight would be greatly appreciated.

    Tom.

  2. Re: restore passwd from backup

    On 10 May 2007 12:55:00 -0700, ttepandi@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect if I did a restore of
    > the /etc/passwd file from a backup? We are running a service on our
    > Linux box that does nightly backups. Are there any other files I
    > should back up? Is this a bad idea? Why or why not?

    If I wanted to restore passwd, I would pull
    /etc/passwd
    /etc/group
    /etc/gshadow
    /etc/shadow