Storing a file - Unix

This is a discussion on Storing a file - Unix ; I am not sure whether the group is the correct one for the question or not ... What is the difference between storing a file in a directory and a database ? ( especially w.r.t. performance ...) Thanks in advance. ...

  1. Storing a file

    I am not sure whether the group is the correct one for the question or
    not ...

    What is the difference between storing a file in a directory and a
    database ? ( especially w.r.t. performance ...)

    Thanks in advance.
    Manish.

  2. Re: Storing a file

    In <1178518598.688627.202810@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups. com> manish writes:

    > What is the difference between storing a file in a directory and a
    > database ? ( especially w.r.t. performance ...)

    If a file is in a database, none of the normal utilities can operate on
    it directly. cat, grep, awk, sed, zip etc.

    You could write your own custom utility that would operate similar to
    cat, say call it "dbcat". But that would add extra overhead, as you
    said.