Getting egrep to match 0x80 (in a logcheck ignore file)? - Unix

This is a discussion on Getting egrep to match 0x80 (in a logcheck ignore file)? - Unix ; My question is now: how can I get an egrep pattern to match a line containing a 0x80 (octal 200) character? Neither '.' nor '[^[ rint:]]' will match it! Any ideas? Here's the background, in case you're curious (sorry if ...

  1. Getting egrep to match 0x80 (in a logcheck ignore file)?

    My question is now: how can I get an egrep pattern to match a line
    containing a 0x80 (octal 200) character? Neither '.' nor
    '[^[rint:]]' will match it!

    Any ideas?

    Here's the background, in case you're curious (sorry if you've already
    seen my related posts to the ubuntu-users and logcheck mailing lists).
    I recently upgraded a machine from Ubuntu Edgy to Feisty, and for some
    reason hddtemp's output to syslog now ends in "^P?: 34 C", for
    example, where the ? represents 0x80 (identified using hexedit; and
    the "^P" are actually those characters). I can't get logcheck to
    ignore these lines, and the logcheck documentation says to use `egrep
    '^...$' syslog` to test patterns --- I haven't been able to get one to
    match a line containing that unusual character yet.

    Thanks,
    Adam

  2. Re: Getting egrep to match 0x80 (in a logcheck ignore file)?

    On 27 Apr., 13:51, Adam Funk wrote:
    > My question is now: how can I get an egrep pattern to match a line
    > containing a 0x80 (octal 200) character? Neither '.' nor
    > '[^[rint:]]' will match it!

    no problem with my egrep (GNJU grep ver 2.4)

    egrep '\^P.:' file

    match

+ Reply to Thread