rsync - unusual or corrupted warning - (.jVPNZY": No such file or directoryicon) - Unix

This is a discussion on rsync - unusual or corrupted warning - (.jVPNZY": No such file or directoryicon) - Unix ; I am trying to create a bootable clone of my internal drive, to a firewire external drive. So far so good, except a couple of warnings... When performing the following command: sudo rsync -xrlptgoEvq --progress --delete --exclude-from=/Users/ USERNAME/exclude.lst / /Volumes/BootableBackup ...

  1. rsync - unusual or corrupted warning - (.jVPNZY": No such file or directoryicon)

    I am trying to create a bootable clone of my internal drive, to a
    firewire external drive. So far so good, except a couple of
    warnings...

    When performing the following command:

    sudo rsync -xrlptgoEvq --progress --delete --exclude-from=/Users/
    USERNAME/exclude.lst / /Volumes/BootableBackup

    Note, my exclude file is:

    mysql.sock
    commandments.fifo
    logs/cgisock
    ..Spotlight-*/
    /afs/*
    /automount/*
    /cores/*
    /dev/*
    /private/tmp/*
    /private/var/launchd/*
    /private/var/run/*
    /private/var/spool/*
    /private/var/vm/*
    /Network/*
    /tmp/*
    /Volumes/*

    I get these warnings:

    ..jVPNZY": No such file or directoryicon
    rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /
    SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24.1/rsync/main.c(717)

    Any ideas what is going on? It looks like a temporary file of sorts,
    but why is the word "icon" appended to the end of the warning message,
    and what about the trailing quote on the file!?

  2. Re: rsync - unusual or corrupted warning - (.jVPNZY": No such file or directoryicon)

    Hi Bill,

    Thanks for your reply, USERNAME is a substitution for security
    purposes, I changed it for the post only.

    That's a good point about a file with possible control characters. I
    think it is related to a temporary file, but I was sure that I'd been
    quite inclusive with my exclude list. I google'd round before doing
    the rsync, and did a "merge" on everyone else's OSX excludes, and then
    added some of my own for good measure. But maybe I left some dodgy
    "system" directories and/or files out of the list.

    Note that I searched for files containing those characters (i.e.
    jVPNZY) on the entire disk (including hidden files etc), and I
    couldn't find it, which seems to imply it is a temporary file. Also
    worthy of note is that each time I execute the rsync I get a different
    set of 6 alphanumeric characters as the seemingly non-existent
    filename, which is annoying as that's less information to track down
    the problem.

    If I could get hold of the rsync code, recompile it and add some debug
    code in main.c or whatever, does that sound like a possible solution
    to get more information? I could increase verbosity and redirect the
    stdout and stderr of the rsync to a file for more detailed analysis...
    I need to brush up on my unix.

  3. Re: rsync - unusual or corrupted warning - (.jVPNZY": No such file or directoryicon)

    I found this on some forum regarding a similar issue. Note I've since
    tried rerouting stdout and stderr to a file, and the original missing
    file error seemingly disappears!

    >>> How can I find out what files wheren't transferred If I
    >>> have error:
    >>>
    >>> rsync error: some files could not be transferred
    >>> (code 23) at main.c(1045)
    >>>
    >>> running rsync?
    >>>
    >>> I've tried "rsync -v[v][v]" but had no success. It wasn't
    >>> possible to make sure what where the files producing the
    >>> error. Any idea?
    >>>
    >>> rsync is version 2.5.7

    >> You might try capturing stderr.

    > Tried that too, but without success. The only message I see is
    > IO error encountered - skipping file deletion
    > rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1045)
    >
    > May the file-list is getting a bit to big for rsync?
    >
    > If I splitt the transfer using
    >
    > for i in *; do
    > rsync -avv --delete --delete-excluded server:ublic/$i dest/
    > done
    >
    > it works seamlessly. The file list is about 500000 files long.

  4. Re: rsync - unusual or corrupted warning - (.jVPNZY": No such file or directoryicon)

    Problem finally sorted. Thanks for your help Bill, you mentioning
    control characters got me on the right scent.

    It is this file causing problems:
    ~/Library/Preferences/._icon ^M

    (^M is control character 0x13, i.e. carriage return)

    I simply added this file, /Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences/._icon*
    to my exclude list.

    The main red herring was firstly the carriage return causing problems
    when displaying the error message, and secondly that files starting
    with a _ are used for mimicking symbolic links (rsync on Mac), so I
    thought it was something to do with that! If someone in the future
    has a problem like this then try doing this:

    your_rsync_script > /DirectoryNotBeingBackedUp/clone_system.log
    2>&1

    in order to see ALL the output without carriage returns messing things
    up. It is good to do a -q in rsync in order to cut down the amount of
    text to read through when looking for errors.

    Ah well, all done and dusted )

+ Reply to Thread