Using *nix simulator online - Unix

This is a discussion on Using *nix simulator online - Unix ; Hi All, Is there any website on Internet which allows a person to execute unix commands, say for practice/learning sake? Most of the PCs I access don't have Unix/Linux installed. And I don't want to download any simulator. Yet i ...

  1. Using *nix simulator online

    Hi All,
    Is there any website on Internet which allows a person to
    execute unix commands, say for practice/learning sake? Most of the PCs
    I access don't have Unix/Linux installed. And I don't want to download
    any simulator. Yet i want to practice and improve my unix skills. How
    do I do it?
    Note - I always have access to Net connection.

    --Ben

  2. Re: Using *nix simulator online

    "ben" writes:
    > Is there any website on Internet which allows a person to
    >execute unix commands, say for practice/learning sake? Most of the PCs
    >I access don't have Unix/Linux installed. And I don't want to download
    >any simulator. Yet i want to practice and improve my unix skills. How
    >do I do it?
    >Note - I always have access to Net connection.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=shell+accounts

    You can also boot into a livecd of any number of different unix's on
    your PC and not have to install anything.

  3. Re: Using *nix simulator online

    On Apr 9, 11:02 am, "ben" wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > Is there any website on Internet which allows a person to
    > execute unix commands, say for practice/learning sake? Most of the PCs
    > I access don't have Unix/Linux installed. And I don't want to download
    > any simulator. Yet i want to practice and improve my unix skills. How
    > do I do it?
    > Note - I always have access to Net connection.
    >
    > --Ben

    get a free shell account -- theres plenty on the net .
    you can also give Cygwin a try : http://www.cygwin.com

    cheers,
    zaher el siddik

  4. Re: Using *nix simulator online

    On 9 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.questions, in article
    <1176130925.657280.32480@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.c om>, ben wrote:

    > Is there any website on Internet which allows a person to
    >execute unix commands, say for practice/learning sake?

    You are posting from a search engine named google. Did you think to
    try using it and searching for a free shell account? Another little
    clue - the web is a service on the intenet, one of hundreds. The world
    does not begin or end in some web browser.

    >Most of the PCs I access don't have Unix/Linux installed.

    Do you have access to a working 1.44 floppy (90 mm) drive?

    Begin3
    Title: tomsrtbt
    Version: 2.0.103
    Entered-date: 04MAY02
    1.72MB boot/root rescue/tools diskette for your shirt pockets.
    Supports ide, scsi, tape, network adaptors, PCMCIA, much more.
    About 100 utility programs and tools for fixing and restoring.
    See tomsrtbt.FAQ for a list of stuff that is included. Not a
    script, just the diskette image packed up chock full of stuff.
    Easy to customize startup and scripts for complete rebuilding.
    Also good as learn-unix-on-a-floppy as it has mostly what you
    expect- vi, , lua, sed, sh, manpages- loaded on ramdisks.
    One installer runs under GNU/Linux, another in DOS, one to CD.
    Author: tom@toms.net (Tom Oehser)
    Maintained-by: tom@toms.net (Tom Oehser)
    Primary-site: www.toms.net /rb
    1 kB home.html
    Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/recovery
    1722 kB tomsrtbt-2.0.103.tar.gz
    1722 kB tomsrtbt-2.0.103.dos.zip
    1722 kB tomsrtbt-2.0.103.ElTorito.288.img.bz2
    Copying-policy: GPL
    End

    As you seem to be using windoze, you want the 'dos.zip' file which can
    be found on hundreds of sunsite mirrors around the world. The result
    of using it is a severely overstuffed floppy with a working Linux.
    There are also floopy versions of FreeBSD available.

    >And I don't want to download any simulator. Yet i want to practice
    >and improve my unix skills. How do I do it?

    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    Old guy

  5. Re: Using *nix simulator online

    "ben" wrote:
    > Yet i want to practice and improve my unix skills.
    > Note - I always have access to Net connection.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....dd6af97675da8d

    =Brian

+ Reply to Thread