Graphic dev with C - Unix

This is a discussion on Graphic dev with C - Unix ; Hello, i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary freeBSD, with the C language. I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some API to use it with C right? I'm looking on google ...

  1. Graphic dev with C

    Hello,
    i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary
    freeBSD, with the C language.
    I know X11 is the standart window manager, so I suppose there's some
    API to use it with C right?
    I'm looking on google but can't find some tutorial, infos, etc. about
    "how to create a simple window", I'm pretty good with C under windows
    but still a newbie in Unix programing, so could you explain me if
    there are some dependencies to download to make such a program? I just
    have the standart X11 installed (basic CD installation) and I suppose
    it's not enough to develop my own tools...
    thanks for helping!

  2. Re: Graphic dev with C

    On Apr 2, 3:48 pm, m.imp...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,

    Hi there

    > i'd like to learn the graphic development under BSD, particulary
    > freeBSD, with the C language.

    That's an admirable goal. Good luck with it.

    > I know X11 is the standart window manager,

    Hmmmm... I think that you have a little more learning to do - you
    "know" wrong.

    X11 is a protocol (actually, X11 is version 11 of the X protocol)
    that is used to let programs interact with graphical support systems

    Window managers are programs that position windows on graphical
    devices using the X protocol
    There isn't a "standard" window manager. There are /many/ different
    window managers.
    Window managers have little or nothing to do with the requirements or
    development of X client applications

    > so I suppose there's some API to use it with C right?

    Many. Take your pick.

    Personally, I'd go with the GTK ("Gimp Tool Kit") API, but you might
    want to work with one of the many others.

    > I'm looking on google but can't find some tutorial, infos, etc. about
    > "how to create a simple window",

    Pick your API, and google for an example or tutorial. For instance, I
    got this as the first hit from Google on "gtk" + "tutorial"
    http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/

    > I'm pretty good with C under windows
    > but still a newbie in Unix programing, so could you explain me if
    > there are some dependencies to download to make such a program?

    All sorts. It depends on your environment, and on the toolkit you
    chose.

    > I just
    > have the standart X11 installed (basic CD installation) and I suppose
    > it's not enough to develop my own tools...

    You should install the X11 development package, along with the
    development package(s) for your selected toolkit.

    > thanks for helping!

  3. Re: Graphic dev with C

    Let me be more helpful than the previous poster:

    - if you are good under windows, consider wxWidgets as your graphical
    API, it has everything you need and runs under windows - it is also easy
    to use. On the other hand, it's c++. Use SDL for pure C. There are also
    other APIs like http://www.pixeltoaster.com/ ... A lot of them...

    - if you want a development environment consider either anjuta (gnome)
    or kdevelop (kde).

+ Reply to Thread