I can use metasend to reliably send a file to another account. I
tested
receipt on hotmail and on the web email reader that my University
provides. Here is the script I use where the single argument
is the file I want to send, e. g. tr799.pdf

metasend -b -e base64 -D "$1" -f $1 -t D-leff@wiu.edu -m application/
pdf -s " $1 being sent "

However, the file name is garbled. On hotmail, the recipient always
sees
it as attach1.pdf. WIU's web-based mail reading tool changes the
period
in the file to an underscope. E. G. tr799.pdf shows up at the
recipient
as tr799_pdf and the user has to manually change the extension.

Can this be resolved. I searched the comp.unix newsgroups
dejanews.com
but did not find any answers but two questions along these lines
including March 16, 1999 from destination70 in comp.unix.admin

Dr. Laurence Leff Western Illinois University, Macomb IL 61455 ||
(309) 298-1315
Stipes 447 Assoc. Prof. of Computer Sci. Pager: 309-367-0787 FAX:
309-298-2302