how to zip the file using the tar command with extn .tar.gz - Unix

This is a discussion on how to zip the file using the tar command with extn .tar.gz - Unix ; Hello, I want to zip one big file. for example File Name: file1 after zipped it should come like: file1.tar.gz. Please let me know the exact command to do this. Thanks...

  1. how to zip the file using the tar command with extn .tar.gz

    Hello,

    I want to zip one big file. for example

    File Name: file1

    after zipped it should come like: file1.tar.gz.

    Please let me know the exact command to do this.

    Thanks

  2. Re: how to zip the file using the tar command with extn .tar.gz

    On 30 Mrz., 17:09, vadisub...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to zip one big file. for example
    >
    > File Name: file1
    >
    > after zipped it should come like: file1.tar.gz.
    >
    > Please let me know the exact command to do this.

    $ tar -czf file1.tar.gz file1

    $ tar --version
    tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1

    hth

  3. Re: how to zip the file using the tar command with extn .tar.gz

    vadisubash@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to zip one big file. for example
    >
    > File Name: file1
    >
    > after zipped it should come like: file1.tar.gz.
    >
    > Please let me know the exact command to do this.
    >
    > Thanks

    tar -cvf - file1 | gzip -v9 > file1.tar.gz

  4. Re: how to zip the file using the tar command with extn .tar.gz

    On Mar 30, 10:21 am, marco.w...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 30 Mrz., 17:09, vadisub...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    > > I want to zip one big file. for example

    > > File Name: file1

    > > after zipped it should come like: file1.tar.gz.

    > > Please let me know the exact command to do this.

    > $ tar -czf file1.tar.gz file1
    >
    > $ tar --version
    > tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1
    >
    > hth