How to disable access to EXPN / VRFY in Solaris-10 SMTP - Beginner Question - Unix

This is a discussion on How to disable access to EXPN / VRFY in Solaris-10 SMTP - Beginner Question - Unix ; I am a beginning Unix systems administrator. Our Solaris 10 server is sendmail v8.13.7. We've been asked by our security department to disable access to EXPN and VRFY in SMTP. Could you teach me how to do it ? I ...

  1. How to disable access to EXPN / VRFY in Solaris-10 SMTP - Beginner Question

    I am a beginning Unix systems administrator. Our Solaris 10 server
    is sendmail v8.13.7. We've been asked by our security department to
    disable access to EXPN and VRFY in SMTP. Could you teach me how to do
    it ? I could disable SMTP but can sendmail still run afterwards :

    # svcs -a | grep smtp
    online Mar_20 svc:/network/smtp:sendmail

    # ps -ef | grep sendmail
    smmsp 335 1 0 Mar 20 ? 0:02 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    Ac -q15m
    root 336 1 0 Mar 20 ? 0:42 /usr/lib/sendmail -
    bd -q15m

    What's the best way to approach our issue ? Your help is much
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Bill,

  2. Re: How to disable access to EXPN / VRFY in Solaris-10 SMTP - Beginner Question

    The VRFY and the EXPN protocol commands should be disabled in the /etc/
    mail/sendmail.cf file.

    to do so add this

    noexpn novrfy

    that will disable expn and vrfy