Two question about the 'gdb' debugger - Unix

This is a discussion on Two question about the 'gdb' debugger - Unix ; I have been using gdb for a very long time, albeit in a non-expert mode. There are two things that would make my life easier: (1) When I display ('print') a character array, only the first so many (64?) characters ...

  1. Two question about the 'gdb' debugger

    I have been using gdb for a very long time, albeit in a non-expert
    mode.

    There are two things that would make my life easier:

    (1) When I display ('print') a character array, only the first so many
    (64?) characters are shown, with an ellipsis at the end [...]. Is
    there any way to increase that truncation point?

    (2) I have been using the command 'finish' to run the current function
    and stop as soon as it is exited. Is there any command to tell the
    debugger to run until the next 'return' (implicit or not) is reached?
    Something like 'finish -1'?

    TIA,

    -Ramon

  2. Re: Two question about the 'gdb' debugger

    "Ramon F Herrera" writes:

    > I have been using gdb for a very long time, albeit in a non-expert
    > mode.
    >
    > There are two things that would make my life easier:
    >
    > (1) When I display ('print') a character array, only the first so many
    > (64?) characters are shown, with an ellipsis at the end [...]. Is
    > there any way to increase that truncation point?
    >
    > (2) I have been using the command 'finish' to run the current function
    > and stop as soon as it is exited. Is there any command to tell the
    > debugger to run until the next 'return' (implicit or not) is reached?
    > Something like 'finish -1'?

    Offhand I don't know either answer but I can tell
    you that you can access the full documentation
    thru:

    info gdb

+ Reply to Thread