mtree / calendar for linux? - Unix

This is a discussion on mtree / calendar for linux? - Unix ; Howdy unix group: Anyone know of a good mtree implementation (from the BSD camp) that works with linux? I don't need anything fancy, really just something that'll rebuild the directory structure (with proper file permissions) and possibly detect that something ...

  1. mtree / calendar for linux?

    Howdy unix group:

    Anyone know of a good mtree implementation (from the BSD camp) that works
    with linux? I don't need anything fancy, really just something that'll
    rebuild the directory structure (with proper file permissions) and possibly
    detect that something has gone amiss.

    This is for a small network appliance type box, I'm trying to work out some
    sort of recovery system. I seem to recall using mtree a couple times on BSD
    machines, thought that might be worth checking into but no luck finding one
    so far. One looked really promising but it wouldn't compile.

    As a side note, not really all that important.. but.. how come calendar
    seems to be a BSD thing? I see there is cal and gcal from GNU, but no
    real calendar with preprocessor includes and things, like BSD had. (seemed
    like a fun toy to me, didn't really use it for anything "real" but it'd
    be fun to have again)

    Jamie
    Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

  2. Re: mtree / calendar for linux?

    In <2u2cd4-fl6.ln1@don.localnet>,
    Bill Marcum mentions:
    >Debian and Ubuntu have calendar in the bsdmainutils package. They don't
    >seem to have an mtree.

    Cool! thanks!

    If anyone else is interested in their platform..

    Download: bsdmainutils_6.0.17.tar.gz

    tweak config.mk

    and then make.

    It compiled fine on a slackware machine, so I assume it'll
    work elsewhere. just have to watch for the install, it'll want
    to put itself in /usr. (I just copied the files manually to /usr/local)

    Jamie
    Perl * Java * UNIX User Management Solutions

+ Reply to Thread