Files affected by DST? - Unix

This is a discussion on Files affected by DST? - Unix ; I wrote this in another NG: " AFAIK , the only files affected by the DST change are all under /usr/ share/zoneinfo, and you can copy them among other unixes." Am I right? -Ramon...

  1. Files affected by DST?

    I wrote this in another NG:

    "AFAIK, the only files affected by the DST change are all under /usr/
    share/zoneinfo,
    and you can copy them among other unixes."

    Am I right?

    -Ramon

  2. Re: Files affected by DST?

    On Mar 19, 11:16 am, "Ramon F Herrera" wrote:
    > I wrote this in another NG:
    >
    > "AFAIK, the only files affected by the DST change are
    > all under /usr/share/zoneinfo,
    > and you can copy them among other unixes."
    >
    > Am I right?
    >
    > -Ramon

    The typing of:

    % rpm -q tzdata
    % rpm -ql tzdata

    seems to confirm my suspicions, about Linux anyway. What about
    Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, BSD? (I don't give a rat's ass about SCO).

    -Ramon

  3. Re: Files affected by DST?

    "Ramon F Herrera" writes:

    >I wrote this in another NG:

    >"AFAIK, the only files affected by the DST change are all under /usr/
    >share/zoneinfo,
    >and you can copy them among other unixes."

    >Am I right?

    /etc/localtime
    which is a copy of the zoneinfo file for your timezone.
    Not sure if all of the unixes use exactly the same binary representation of
    the timezone files as derived from the tzdata file.

    Probably best would be to compile the timezone files from the tzdata
    files.
    Note also that not all unixes store the files in /usr/share/zoneinfo.

    >-Ramon

  4. Re: Files affected by DST?

    In comp.unix.solaris Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 11:16 am, "Ramon F Herrera" wrote:
    >> I wrote this in another NG:
    >>
    >> "AFAIK, the only files affected by the DST change are
    >> all under /usr/share/zoneinfo,
    >> and you can copy them among other unixes."
    >>
    >> Am I right?

    Mostly.

    > The typing of:

    > % rpm -q tzdata
    > % rpm -ql tzdata

    > seems to confirm my suspicions, about Linux anyway. What about
    > Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, BSD? (I don't give a rat's ass about SCO).

    There is an additional complication if you use a POSIX timezone where
    the dates are calculated rather than read directly.

    As an example, on Solaris:
    TZ=:EST5EDT

    will use the /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/EST5EDT. But if you use:
    TZ=EST5EDT

    then the libc library will calculate the dates based on hardcoded rules
    in the library. So if you have an old libc, then it's not completely
    updated.

    Now, you probably shouldn't be doing this, but if you are, it's
    something to watch out for.

    Change to 'US/Eastern' or 'America/New_York' instead.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com