Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8 - Unix

This is a discussion on Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8 - Unix ; Hello, Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file to PostScript file ? Something similiar to the pre-packaged "pdftops" program under /usr/ sfw/bin in Solaris 10. Thanks, Bill...

  1. Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8

    Hello,

    Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    to PostScript file ?

    Something similiar to the pre-packaged "pdftops" program under /usr/
    sfw/bin in Solaris 10.

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes:
    >Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    >to PostScript file ?

    >Something similiar to the pre-packaged "pdftops" program under /usr/
    >sfw/bin in Solaris 10.

    Thats part of the xpdf package. You can get that from Blastwave..

  3. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscriptfile in Solaris 8

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    > to PostScript file ?
    >
    > Something similiar to the pre-packaged "pdftops" program under /usr/
    > sfw/bin in Solaris 10.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    Hi Bill,

    http://www.sunfreeware.com/programli...ml#ghostscript

    --
    Chris

  4. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8

    On Mar 16, 1:21 pm, Chris Lawson wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    > > to PostScript file ?

    Hi,

    I've installed the Ghostscript 8.54 package from the Sun software
    web site at our Solaris 8 server. When I tried to convert the pdf
    file to the post script file, I am getting error below. Any idea ?

    # /usr/local/bin/pdf2ps e3hp4_20070316T154818.066.pdf
    e3hp4_20070316T154818.066.ps

    Error: /invalidfont in findfont
    Operand stack:
    --dict:9/9(L)-- TT32 1 --dict:8/8(L)-- Arial --dict:
    8/8(L)-- Helvetica Helvetica Font Helvetica 1
    507784 Helvetica --nostringval-- Helvetica NimbusSanL-Regu
    Courier NimbusMonL-Regu
    Execution stack:
    %interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --
    nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval--
    --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1
    3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3
    %oparray_pop --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 1 1 --
    nostringval-- %for_pos_int_continue --nostringval--
    --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval--
    %array_continue --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push
    --nostringval-- %loop_continue --nostringval-- --
    nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringva
    l-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 8 10 %oparray_pop 9
    10 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- --nostringva
    l-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false
    1 %stopped_push 12 11 %oparray_pop --nostr
    ingval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 1 -1 1 --
    nostringval-- %for_neg_int_continue
    Dictionary stack:
    --dict:1119/1686(ro)(G)-- --dict:2/20(G)-- --dict:75/200(L)--
    --dict:75/200(L)-- --dict:105/127(ro)(G)-- --
    dict:253/347(ro)(G)-- --dict:21/24(L)-- --dict:4/6(L)-- --dict:
    21/32(L)-- --dict:8/8(L)-- --dict:17/17(ro)(G)-
    - --dict:1119/1686(ro)(G)--
    Current allocation mode is local
    Last OS error: 2
    GPL Ghostscript 8.54: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

    > > Something similiar to the pre-packaged "pdftops" program under /usr/
    > > sfw/bin in Solaris 10.

    > > Thanks,

    > > Bill

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > http://www.sunfreeware.com/programli...ml#ghostscript
    >
    > --
    > Chris

  5. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscriptfile in Solaris 8

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    > to PostScript file ?

    If you have Acrobat 5 (4 also ?) you can do "cat my.pdf | acroread
    -toPostScript > my.ps"

  6. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8

    On Mar 16, 4:01 pm, Roger Johnson wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > Is there any freedownload-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    > > to PostScript file ?

    > If you haveAcrobat5 (4 also ?) you can do "cat my.pdf | acroread
    > -toPostScript > my.ps"

    Hi Roger,

    We don't ahve Acrobat reader. Do you know where we can download the
    acrobat reader for the version you've mentioned ?

    Thanks,

    Bill

  7. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8

    underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes:
    >On Mar 16, 4:01 pm, Roger Johnson wrote:
    >> underh20.scubadiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Hello,

    >> > Is there any freedownload-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    >> > to PostScript file ?

    >> If you haveAcrobat5 (4 also ?) you can do "cat my.pdf | acroread
    >> -toPostScript > my.ps"

    >Hi Roger,

    > We don't ahve Acrobat reader. Do you know where we can download the
    >acrobat reader for the version you've mentioned ?

    Do you have SPARC or x86? Since Solaris 8, I'd assume SPARC.

    Its available here

    http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...lversions.html

  8. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscriptfile in Solaris 8

    Doug McIntyre wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com writes:
    >>> If you haveAcrobat5 (4 also ?) you can do "cat my.pdf | acroread
    >>> -toPostScript > my.ps"

    >> Hi Roger,

    >> We don't ahve Acrobat reader. Do you know where we can download the
    >> acrobat reader for the version you've mentioned ?

    > Do you have SPARC or x86? Since Solaris 8, I'd assume SPARC.
    >
    > Its available here
    >
    > http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...lversions.html

    Seems you can only get the latest 7.x version. Don't know if it works on
    Solars 8. You can try older Acrobat' here:
    http://sunsite.utk.edu/ftp/usr-218-2/acroread/unix/5.x/

    With Acrobat 5 you can run Acroread in scripts w/o the DISPLAY variable
    set nor needed, but with Acrobat 7, it HAS to be connected to a DISPLAY.
    PITA.

  9. Re: Where to find free software to convert PDF file to Postscript file in Solaris 8

    On 2007-03-16, Chris Lawson wrote:
    > underh20.scubadiving@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Is there any free download-able Solaris 8 program to convert PDF file
    >> to PostScript file ?

    > Hi Bill,
    >
    > http://www.sunfreeware.com/programli...ml#ghostscript

    While ghostscript will work fine the files it generates have a
    couple of limitations since ghostscript simply rasterizes everything
    before generating a postscript output file. This has the effect
    of both reducing the quality and causing a massive increase in file
    size, which wastes disk space and may well slow things down if you
    come to print the file. Someone else has already mentioned xpdf
    which is a much better open source option.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

+ Reply to Thread