Emulating serial communication between processes - Unix

This is a discussion on Emulating serial communication between processes - Unix ; How would one go about connecting two processes which expect to communicate over a serial line? I'm running Linux. I have a protocol stack, the lowest layer of which opens a serial port in non-canonical mode. I would like to ...

  1. Emulating serial communication between processes

    How would one go about connecting two processes which expect
    to communicate over a serial line?

    I'm running Linux. I have a protocol stack, the lowest layer
    of which opens a serial port in non-canonical mode.

    I would like to be able to start two instances of a test
    application which uses the protocol stack and have them
    communicate with each other on a single machine without
    having to externally short two serial ports together.

    I thought of pipes but:
    a. writing to a pipe blocks; writing to a tty
    doesn't;
    b. pipes are unidirectional (or are they?); tty's are
    bidirectional;

    There must be an idiom for that.

    --
    JR

  2. Re: Emulating serial communication between processes

    How about a pair of pseudo-tty's and
    a multiplex process in the middle?
    Just a thought...Rainer

+ Reply to Thread