Telnet and accents - Unix

This is a discussion on Telnet and accents - Unix ; Salut, Unfortunately I am French and have to manage accents. The situation : * A windows server runing telnet service * A linux client From linux, I run telnet -8L >. Once connected I try to create name a file ...

  1. Telnet and accents

    Salut,
    Unfortunately I am French and have to manage accents.
    The situation :
    * A windows server runing telnet service
    * A linux client
    From linux, I run telnet -8L <>. Once connected I try
    to create name a file with accents, let's say "dir > éléphant.txt". On
    the windows server, I get a file named "├®l├®phant.txt".
    I tried to change the codepage : chcp 1252. The new name is
    "éléphant.txt". At least I recognize UTF-8 accents.
    For information, env=vt100.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Ghislain
    "Hamburgers are made with beef"

  2. Re: Telnet and accents

    Ghislain Benrais wrote:
    > Salut,
    > Unfortunately I am French and have to manage accents.
    > The situation :
    > * A windows server runing telnet service
    > * A linux client
    > From linux, I run telnet -8L <>. Once connected I try
    > to create name a file with accents, let's say "dir > lphant.txt". On
    > the windows server, I get a file named "?l?phant.txt".
    > I tried to change the codepage : chcp 1252. The new name is
    > "éléphant.txt". At least I recognize UTF-8 accents.
    > For information, env=vt100.

    You should change your character setup before you use telnet

    export LANG="fr_FR@euro"
    telnet someip-name.com

    Or else telnet will use the character setup that you use default on your machine.

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: Telnet and accents

    Thanks J.O.,
    I tried but it didn't work
    Ghislain
    J.O. Aho a crit :
    > Ghislain Benrais wrote:
    >> Salut,
    >> Unfortunately I am French and have to manage accents.
    >> The situation :
    >> * A windows server runing telnet service
    >> * A linux client
    >> From linux, I run telnet -8L <>. Once connected I try
    >> to create name a file with accents, let's say "dir > lphant.txt".
    >> On the windows server, I get a file named "?l?phant.txt".
    >> I tried to change the codepage : chcp 1252. The new name is
    >> "éléphant.txt". At least I recognize UTF-8 accents.
    >> For information, env=vt100.

    > You should change your character setup before you use telnet
    >
    > export LANG="fr_FR@euro"
    > telnet someip-name.com
    >
    > Or else telnet will use the character setup that you use default on your
    > machine.

  4. Re: Telnet and accents

    2007-01-30 ,
    Ghislain Benrais wrote:
    > Thanks J.O.,
    > I tried but it didn't work

    Make sure your terminal (xterm, etc) is in iso 8859-1 mode.

+ Reply to Thread