Anyone used mtftar? (converting Windows .bkf backup files to .tar) - Unix

This is a discussion on Anyone used mtftar? (converting Windows .bkf backup files to .tar) - Unix ; I've been looking for a utility to unpack Windows backup (*.bkf) files on GNU/Linux, and the only thing I've found is mtftar from http://gpl.internetconnection.net/ but it doesn't unpack into enough levels. For example, if the .bkf really contains C:\Documents and ...

  1. Anyone used mtftar? (converting Windows .bkf backup files to .tar)

    I've been looking for a utility to unpack Windows backup (*.bkf) files
    on GNU/Linux, and the only thing I've found is mtftar from
    http://gpl.internetconnection.net/
    but it doesn't unpack into enough levels.

    For example, if the .bkf really contains

    C:\Documents and Settings\alice\My Documents\foo.doc
    C:\Documents and Settings\bob\My Documents\bar.doc
    C:\Documents and Settings\bob\My Documents\fubar.doc

    (and I know it does have the full directory structure, because I
    unpacked it on a Windows machine to check) the tar file produced by
    mtftar flattens the tree down to one directory below the drive letter:

    C:\Documents and Settings\foo.doc
    C:\Documents and Settings\bar.doc
    C:\Documents and Settings\fubar.doc

    Has anyone else used this program, and perhaps figured out how to get
    the full directory tree out? Or can anyone recommend another utility?

    Thanks,
    Adam

  2. Re: Anyone used mtftar? (converting Windows .bkf backup files to .tar)

    On 2007-01-20, Adam Funk wrote:

    > I've been looking for a utility to unpack Windows backup (*.bkf) files
    > on GNU/Linux, and the only thing I've found is mtftar from
    > http://gpl.internetconnection.net/
    > but it doesn't unpack into enough levels.

    I contacted internetconnection.net and the developer very helpfully
    looked into this. The program had been tested on backup files from
    Windows NT and 2000 Advanced Server but he discovered a discrepancy
    with the files I had (from 2000 not "server"), and fixed it. The
    current version (now on that website) correctly handles the backup
    files I'm working with.

+ Reply to Thread