cygwin: where can I download "more"? - Unix

This is a discussion on cygwin: where can I download "more"? - Unix ; cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text" folders but now it seems it has gone....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: cygwin: where can I download "more"?

  1. cygwin: where can I download "more"?

    cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    folders but now it seems it has gone.


  2. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?

    rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > folders but now it seems it has gone.


    You should be able to download and install it using Cygwin's normal
    "setup.exe" installer. (Personally I use "less" rather than "more, but
    to each his own.)

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>
    We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.

  3. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?

    Keith Thompson writes:
    > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    >> cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    >> folders but now it seems it has gone.

    >
    > You should be able to download and install it using Cygwin's normal
    > "setup.exe" installer. (Personally I use "less" rather than "more, but
    > to each his own.)


    After I posted that, I realized it probably doesn't answer your question.

    The "cygcheck -f" command indicates which Cygwin package a specified
    file belongs to. For example:

    % cygcheck -f /usr/bin/less.exe
    less-381-1
    % cygcheck -f /usr/bin/rm.exe
    coreutils-6.4-1

    But "cygcheck -f /usr/bin/more.exe" produces no output. I don't know
    why. Try the Cygwin mailing list; see .

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>
    We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.

  4. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?

    rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:

    > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > folders but now it seems it has gone.



    Would

    alias more='/usr/bin/less'

    Get you where you wanna go?

    I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.


    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  5. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?


    Todd H. wrote:
    > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    >
    > > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > > folders but now it seems it has gone.

    >
    >
    > Would
    >
    > alias more='/usr/bin/less'
    >
    > Get you where you wanna go?
    >
    > I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    > beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.


    It would be acceptable if indeed it worked as you say. I pipe into more
    because I often can see what I want at the start of the file. Using
    "less" I can not get to the beginning using "P". It only accepts "q" or
    "h" or return or space.

    Just why do these cygwin people withdraw a utility that has been
    commonly used by millions of users for many years?


  6. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?

    rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    > > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > >
    > > > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > > > folders but now it seems it has gone.

    > >
    > >
    > > Would
    > >
    > > alias more='/usr/bin/less'
    > >
    > > Get you where you wanna go?
    > >
    > > I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    > > beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.

    >
    > It would be acceptable if indeed it worked as you say. I pipe into more
    > because I often can see what I want at the start of the file. Using
    > "less" I can not get to the beginning using "P". It only accepts "q" or
    > "h" or return or space.


    Hrmm. It does on my win2k box running cygwin.

    > Just why do these cygwin people withdraw a utility that has been
    > commonly used by millions of users for many years?


    I'm not sure, but less on cygwin works fine for me. I wonder what's
    buggering it up on your box.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  7. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?


    Todd H. wrote:
    > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > > Todd H. wrote:
    > > > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > > >
    > > > > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > > > > folders but now it seems it has gone.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Would
    > > >
    > > > alias more='/usr/bin/less'
    > > >
    > > > Get you where you wanna go?
    > > >
    > > > I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    > > > beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.

    > >
    > > It would be acceptable if indeed it worked as you say. I pipe into more
    > > because I often can see what I want at the start of the file. Using
    > > "less" I can not get to the beginning using "P". It only accepts "q" or
    > > "h" or return or space.

    >
    > Hrmm. It does on my win2k box running cygwin.
    >
    > > Just why do these cygwin people withdraw a utility that has been
    > > commonly used by millions of users for many years?

    >
    > I'm not sure, but less on cygwin works fine for me. I wonder what's
    > buggering it up on your box.


    I used to have "more" on my previous computer when I downloaded Cygwin
    earlier in the year. Now I don't find it in any of the download sites
    when I look in the "text" package. Another change I noticed is that
    "nedit" is not ready to run and an "X" session needs to be started
    first. I am using the "startx" command to start an "X" session. With
    the previous version of Cygwin on the previous computer, "nedit" was
    ready to run.


  8. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?

    rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > Todd H. wrote:
    >> rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    >> > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    >> > folders but now it seems it has gone.

    >>
    >> Would
    >>
    >> alias more='/usr/bin/less'
    >>
    >> Get you where you wanna go?
    >>
    >> I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    >> beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.


    'P' isn't a standard key binding for less. Did you use lesskey to
    customize its behavior?

    > It would be acceptable if indeed it worked as you say. I pipe into more
    > because I often can see what I want at the start of the file. Using
    > "less" I can not get to the beginning using "P". It only accepts "q" or
    > "h" or return or space.


    Use 'G' to jump to the end of the current file, '1G' to jump to the
    beginning, or '42G' to jump to line 42. Or use "lesskey" to define
    your own key bindings.

    > Just why do these cygwin people withdraw a utility that has been
    > commonly used by millions of users for many years?


    They didn't; it's part of the "util-linux" package:

    % cygcheck -f /bin/more.exe
    util-linux-2.12r-2

    But you might consider learning to use "less" anyway. In my opinion
    (which is worth exactly what you pay for it), "less" is much better
    than "more". But if you want to use "more", it's still there.

    --
    Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u@mib.org
    San Diego Supercomputer Center <*>
    We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this.

  9. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?

    Keith Thompson writes:

    > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > > Todd H. wrote:
    > >> rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > >> > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > >> > folders but now it seems it has gone.
    > >>
    > >> Would
    > >>
    > >> alias more='/usr/bin/less'
    > >>
    > >> Get you where you wanna go?
    > >>
    > >> I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    > >> beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.

    >
    > 'P' isn't a standard key binding for less. Did you use lesskey to
    > customize its behavior?


    No, I didn't--it just works.

    I notice lowercase p also works to get to the top. Looking in the man
    page, I assume this works because with the lack of a numeric prefix,
    it defaults to going to 0% position (i.e. the beginning).

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  10. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?


    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > > Todd H. wrote:
    > >> rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > >> > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > >> > folders but now it seems it has gone.
    > >>
    > >> Would
    > >>
    > >> alias more='/usr/bin/less'
    > >>
    > >> Get you where you wanna go?
    > >>
    > >> I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    > >> beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.

    >
    > 'P' isn't a standard key binding for less. Did you use lesskey to
    > customize its behavior?
    >
    > > It would be acceptable if indeed it worked as you say. I pipe into more
    > > because I often can see what I want at the start of the file. Using
    > > "less" I can not get to the beginning using "P". It only accepts "q" or
    > > "h" or return or space.

    >
    > Use 'G' to jump to the end of the current file, '1G' to jump to the
    > beginning, or '42G' to jump to line 42. Or use "lesskey" to define
    > your own key bindings.
    >
    > > Just why do these cygwin people withdraw a utility that has been
    > > commonly used by millions of users for many years?

    >
    > They didn't; it's part of the "util-linux" package:
    >
    > % cygcheck -f /bin/more.exe
    > util-linux-2.12r-2
    >
    > But you might consider learning to use "less" anyway. In my opinion
    > (which is worth exactly what you pay for it), "less" is much better
    > than "more". But if you want to use "more", it's still there.


    I agree than "less" is better but I don't want better. I want same.

    I'll look for it in util-linux. Thanks.

    Roland


  11. Re: cygwin: where can I download "more"?


    rolandberry@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    > > rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > > > Todd H. wrote:
    > > >> rolandberry@hotmail.com writes:
    > > >> > cygwin: where can I download "more"? It used to be in some "text"
    > > >> > folders but now it seems it has gone.
    > > >>
    > > >> Would
    > > >>
    > > >> alias more='/usr/bin/less'
    > > >>
    > > >> Get you where you wanna go?
    > > >>
    > > >> I vastly prefer it because it supports going to end of file and
    > > >> beginning of file quickly with G and P commands.

    > >
    > > 'P' isn't a standard key binding for less. Did you use lesskey to
    > > customize its behavior?
    > >
    > > > It would be acceptable if indeed it worked as you say. I pipe into more
    > > > because I often can see what I want at the start of the file. Using
    > > > "less" I can not get to the beginning using "P". It only accepts "q" or
    > > > "h" or return or space.

    > >
    > > Use 'G' to jump to the end of the current file, '1G' to jump to the
    > > beginning, or '42G' to jump to line 42. Or use "lesskey" to define
    > > your own key bindings.
    > >
    > > > Just why do these cygwin people withdraw a utility that has been
    > > > commonly used by millions of users for many years?

    > >
    > > They didn't; it's part of the "util-linux" package:
    > >
    > > % cygcheck -f /bin/more.exe
    > > util-linux-2.12r-2
    > >
    > > But you might consider learning to use "less" anyway. In my opinion
    > > (which is worth exactly what you pay for it), "less" is much better
    > > than "more". But if you want to use "more", it's still there.

    >
    > I agree than "less" is better but I don't want better. I want same.
    >
    > I'll look for it in util-linux. Thanks.
    >
    > Roland


    I have it now. I am a happy bunny once more. Thanks to all those who
    gave help.

    Roland


+ Reply to Thread